Winston's Investment Ideas 01 (Nov 08 - Apr 10)

Re: Winston's Investment Ideas

Postby memphisb » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:16 pm

He is like Soras. International Worldwide.

We need hints. Short or long :)
1000 book challenge. 13 down, 987 to go. Huatopedia has become my loses support group. Recent: Anthony Bolton, Investing against the Tide. Current Jim Rogers, A Bull In China.
memphisb
Coolie

Postby winston » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:46 am

kennynah wrote:let's see....which other countries have you not covered 8-)

Hmm.... Yes, I dont know Latin America, Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Africa, Australia & NZ that well. That's a big chunk of the map :P
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:50 am

memphisb wrote: We need hints. Short or long :)

Ha Ha ... If the TA experts are not able to predict the direction of HK or the US consistently, what chance do I have ? :?
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:04 am

TOL:-

1) Oil @ US$68: Strong resistance. Sold CNOOC. There was a CS report that says that CNOOC is being priced at US$80 Oil.

2) Gold @ US$936: Support at US$875; Resistance at US$965; Jewellers are not buying. Watching Zhaojin & Zijin(50% copper). Boring ..

3) Commodity ETFs. Too boring. Better to invest in shares of Commodity companies.

4) China: Consumers, Fast Food, Internet, Infrastructure, Green Energy - Too expensive

5) Shanghai & HK - Very strong. How long can the euphoria last? Sold all my HK stocks. The market seems to believe that China can save the world. If that's the case, maybe the US markets will now be following the actions in HK & Shanghai :P. Do you remember the time when the US dropped a few hundred points because Shanghai dropped 9% ? What will happen if HK does drop 15% ( which is just last 2 week's rise ? ). Will you be safe in Singapore Equities or US Equities ? Or would you be buying on dips ?

6) HK IPO - Stagging on BBMG. Will be listing on July 29

7) Spore - Still no good investment ideas :(

8) US Equities - Bulls are winning. What's going to happen after earnings season? Expecting the US economy to be weak for a few years. I think Roubini is right.

9) Swine Flu - Looks like it's not currently a threat. Let's see what happens during Winter.

10) US Dollar - What is the alternative if it tanks ? Commodities? Gold ? CDN? AUD? Euro? RMB? Sin$? Expecting the USD to slowly depreciate against the Commodity Currencies, RMB over the next few years. Boring ...

11) Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Russia & India - Will have to wait for a better entry point.

12) During the AFC, the market dropped for 1.5 years and then rebounded for the next 1.5 years. A typical "V". Thereafter, it trended downwards for 3 years ( due to poor earnings ) before resuming it's climb for 5 years ( earnings driven ). I think this time would not be too different. The rebound based on perceived "cheap valuation" and liquidity has occured. For this rally to be sustainable, there must be improved earnings..

The above is to help me crystalize my thinking. It's not a recommendation to buy or sell. Use the info above at your own risk. Also, please do feel free to comment. I would like to also hear your kind thoughts and comments..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby helios » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:18 am

winston wrote:TOL:-

7) Spore - Still no good investment ideas

8) US Equities - Bulls are winning. What's going to happen after earnings season? Expecting the US economy to be weak for a few years. I think Roubini is right.

9) Swine Flu - Looks like it's not currently a threat. Let's see what happens during Winter.

Election is coming and might have an influence on Singapore Equities. It might happen within the coming year ahead, if not 2 years' timeframe from now ... Marine IR is scheduled for Q1 launch + YOG in August, etc. If Singapore equity is to be positioned for a rally, most probably it'd be end of 2010? :?:

Don't think Swine Flu is a threat; the industry players have obtained necessary antibodies to be manufactured ... just need to wait for the opportunity to make more $$$ ... ... as mentioned, this Flu cycle is too short, people remembered their lesson learnt during SARS period ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 am

San San wrote:
1) Election is coming and might have an influence on Singapore Equities. It might happen within the coming year ahead, if not 2 years' timeframe from now ...
2) Marine IR is scheduled for Q1 launch + YOG in August, etc.

1) Yes, very good observation. Normally, the GLCs will rise before an election
2) Not sure that the Marina IR will have an impact on Spore Equities.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby helios » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:50 am

winston wrote:Normally, the GLCs will rise before an election.

Yuppz, i attended a pre-election session yesterday ... it was a briefing about logistics & readiness ...

Which are GLCs? ha ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:01 am

But this round, they have already risen already.

Unless there's a very steep drop, they may not be moving that much from here ...
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby helios » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:10 am

I think, we can do homework on those 'soarers' that were influenced from last election.

As i was very young then, i can't recall these events ...

I don't think election will be any sooner, perhaps end 2010. There are wild fires now, e.g. how to gear up/ engaging new media for the voters, etc.
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:29 pm

winston wrote:1) Yes, very good observation. Normally, the GLCs will rise before an election

this one ??

Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

PreviousNext

Return to Useful References - Blogs, Websites & Forums, etc.