Career 01 (Sep 08 - Mar 10)

Re: Career 1 (Sep 08 - Mar 10)

Postby Aspellian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 pm

iam802 wrote:Network beyond your industry.

Why do you say that? is it useful in event of pink slips and need to join a totally different industry? any experiences to share? ;)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Aspellian wrote:
iam802 wrote:Network beyond your industry.

Why do you say that? is it useful in event of pink slips and need to join a totally different industry? any experiences to share? ;)

Good question. And I do not have any answers to it. This kind of questions belong to the same category of 'being in vibrations' or aligning your vibrations etc

I think whether the 'network' is useful, depends on whether you know what you want in the first place. And as K has suggested, network by showing a genuine interests in the other party.

eg. I will bet that Winston, MM, MW, and K are all from different industries. And here I am, learning from them and benefiting from this network.

Going back to 'is it useful in the event of pink slips'. And the answer is

Hidden Content:
It still depends on whether we know what we want in the first place.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 am

iam802 wrote:....This kind of questions belong to the same category of 'being in vibrations' or aligning your vibrations etc....

wahahahahaha....ROFLOL.....wahahahaha.... :D :D

and your hidden text....best....

reminds me of my recent question to a techie friend of mine, on which digital camera brand is good...

his answer : "depends on what you want"..... that is a standard corporate answer to any client who asks this question, whatever the subject... it is the best way to answer questions without actually answering....and throw the question back to the person.... this is a very solid response...wahahahaha.... :lol: :lol:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 am

I dont nomally see "Barefoot Investor" on CNBC. But they have some good stories once in a while...

Today's story was about a young girl who went back-packing in Cambodia. There, she saw the poverty and decided to do something about it.

She then set up the FutureCambodiaFund www.futurecambodiafund.org to work on several projects in Cambodia. She was awarded the "JCI Ten Outstanding Young Person in the World" and was also awrded the Victoria Award.

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:12 am

Another good story on barefoot investor ...

There's this young guy who just graduated and was trying to decide what he wants to do with his life.

He then went back-packing around the world.

When he was in Bolivia, he visited the San Pedro prison. Tourists can actually stay in this prison for a nominal fee. He wanted to experience it ...

This guy ended up staying three months in the prison. Everyday, he would interview the prisoners and get them to tell him their stories. He ended up writing a book called "Marching Powder".

Some people are now bidding for the rights to make a movie out of that book. I think Brad Pitt's Plan B may have bought the rights for the movie ..
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 pm

What do you want out of life?

Lee Siew Hua experiences a taste of executive life coaching from Foo See Luan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXECUTIVE coach Foo See Luan, 72, casts an expert's eye on me as I sit in his comfortable sun-lit Queen Astrid Gardens luxury apartment-cum-office, jasmine tea at my side.

"What outcome do you want out of life?"
he asks.

I reply and he asks more questions. "What about work? What are you doing about reaching your work goals?"

The questions do not sound particularly profound, but they are very direct and lead me to consider my answers and spell out my focus — first in life, then in my career.

After five minutes of dialogue, we stop the experiment, and dial back the intensity of our mini-coaching session.

With more time, he says, he would have lobbed questions that probe a little deeper: Soul-searching showstoppers such as, "what's the worst thing you've gone through in your life?"

The quick one-on-one session with Mr Foo — founder of FSL Coaching 12 years ago, with blue-chip clients that include Microsoft and Nike — gives me a flavour of what the process involves and what coaches do for their very lucrative living.

No black arts are involved, no faddish management speak. They simply ask searching questions that are intended to draw out from deep within us the solutions to issues, challenges or goals.

For this service, experienced coaches charge between $500 and $1,000 an hour. At that stratospheric rate, my five minutes would have cost me up to $80 — the bill for a proper two-hour lunch with a confidante.

For that hypothetical fee, have I learned a little bit more about what makes me tick or how to improve my performance?

No, not in such a brief taster of a coaching relationship that typically lasts 12 to 20 hours over four to six months.

I will say, however, that it is quite enjoyable and beneficial to frame my thoughts in a structured style and articulate what is important to me.

And I'm a little surprised that it's fairly easy to share such things with a stranger, albeit a kindly one with a love of folksy metaphors.

Maybe it's because he's an active listener, professionally curious and non-judgemental. His more than 2000 hours of coaching experience must have helped.

But, maybe we all like to talk about ourselves?

Not that I can afford to sign up a professional coach, but if I ever feel the need to engage one I'd have to know exactly why. With such a princely sum of money exchanging hands, I'd need to commit to pretty significant change.

I look back on my five minutes as a sort of mind spa — but transient. A much longer and far more costly arrangement is far down my essential list.

WHAT IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD $20,000?
Here's how to self-coach ourselves out of a rut or to higher performance. Coaches ask their clients searching questions and so can we. Try these:

1. What are my true talents?
2. How do I define success?
3. What really matters to me?
4. What are three options I have and how do I rank them?
5. What’s stopping me from doing that?
6. What will I do if money isn’t a concern in my life or I know I will not fail?
7. Why not now?
8. What will I commit to doing?

Self-coaching may help us pinpoint problems or reveal beliefs that are subtly self-limiting. Then it's up to us to commit to change and open the door to possibilities.

http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2010/3/19 ... ut-of-life
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 pm

I am surprised that its only 1 out of 5, given the long hours that Singaporeans put in daily.

Mar 26, 2010
1 in 5 willing to do more
By Gabriel Chen

MOST Singapore employees are not keen to do any more work than they absolutely have to, preferring to stay within their usual productivity levels, according to a new survey.

It found that only 19 per cent of Singapore workers are willing to go above and beyond what is expected of them while the remaining 81 per cent show only a little or no 'discretionary effort'.

Discretionary effort measures an employee's willingness to exceed his or her expected level of productivity.

While there is still room for improvement, Singapore's situation is in line with that in other parts of Asia and much better than Europe's and the United States', where around 10 per cent of employees show high discretionary effort.

Asia's better showing is due to the fact that the region was less affected by the recession than the West, according to consultancy Corporate Executive Board, the US firm that conducted the survey. Its chief executive Tom Monahan said yesterday that with less uncertainty on the employment front, employees in this part of the world expressed more confidence and were more willing to be productive.

'It was different,' said Mr Monahan who is in Singapore for business. 'With regard to the recession, the bullet grazed Singapore, but it didn't hit Singapore.'
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Musicwhiz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Only 1 in 5 are willing. The rest are unwilling. :lol:
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby iam802 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:21 pm

I think 19 percent is a fairly decent figure.

Imagine 100% willing to go above and beyond?!!

Is that even possible? Let's not kid ourselves that everyone wants to do that. It is impossible.

Or twist it another way, if you are already productive, making little mistakes in your work...why do you want to do even more and risk making more mistakes?
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:28 pm

haha..

While I don't expect 100%, I was thinking of closer to 40% since almost every1 I know seems to be overworked...
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Previous

Return to Archives