Career 01 (Sep 08 - Mar 10)

Re: Career 1 (Sep 08 - Jan 10)

Postby winston » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:18 pm

How not to ruin your next career move By Matt Knight, for CNN

London, England (CNN) -- Got a job offer or thinking of making a career move in 2010? You would be wise to do your homework to avoid ruining your next move, new research suggests.

A report published in this month's Harvard Business Review suggests that even high-ranking executives make elementary mistakes when searching for a new role.

In researching "Five Ways to Bungle a Job Change", authors Boris Groysberg and Robin Abrahams interviewed 400 executive research consultants, 500 high level executives and the heads of Human Resources at 15 multinational companies.

"It all kept coming down to the same thing," Robin Abrahams, research associate at Harvard Business School, told CNN.

"Five mistakes came out consistently, no matter who we asked." she said.

1) Lack of research
2) Leaving for money
3) Going "from" rather than "to"
4) Overestimating yourself
5) Thinking short term

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01 ... index.html
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Career 1 (Sep 08 - Feb 10)

Postby winston » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 pm

February 5, 2010
Job insecurity the new normal

New York - The latest jobs report provided more confusion than clarity about just where the U.S. economy is headed.

Twenty thousand more Americans found themselves out of a job in January. Over the course of this recession 8.4 million jobs have been lost - much more than originally thought. And it's a gigantic hole to climb out of.

But buried in the report were some rays of light. While overall payrolls dropped again, the number of temporary workers jumped and hours worked increased; two things that typically happen right before companies start hiring permanent workers.

Another reason for hope - the unemployment rate dropped to 9.7 percent.

Sure, some of that may be due to the fact that discouraged workers, people who have been out of work for an extended period of time, simply stopped looking.

But some economists say the household survey, which is used to calculate the unemployment rate, is better at picking up small business hiring and may be better at signaling a turn in the economy.

That is encouraging. But I can't help but worry that it is going to take a long time for the consumer to feel confident about jobs.

The severity and speed with which companies slashed workers in this last recession was a clear indication that employees are viewed as little more than a commodity.

I heard someone call it the evolution from just-in-time inventories to just-in-time firing.

Companies may be start to hire, but workers know they won’t think twice about letting them go the minute business dips or profit margins come under pressure.

This isn't completely new. Anyone who has worked in construction knows that when the project is completed it is time to look for work again.

But the approach seems to be spreading to the white collar world. Job security, to the extent it existed at all, seems to be dead.

And the unemployment rate will have to get a whole lot lower before managers worry that staff isn’t easily replaceable.

That worry is bound to weigh on consumers and impact their spending decisions. I guess it is what people mean when they talk about the new normal.

Posted by: CNN business anchor, Maggie Lake

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/0 ... ew-normal/
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:37 pm

-----------------------
Column By Jim Stovall
-----------------------

Pursuing Your Passion

We all have talents and gifts. Some people's are apparent, such as Beethoven, Michael Jordan, or Winston Churchill. Others live out their personal and professional lives in less conspicuous ways but no less valuable ways.

Only you can define your passion. The fact that your mother wants you to be a doctor, your father wants you to conquer Wall Street, your spouse wants you to be an architect, or the coach wants you to play first base really doesn't matter.

Your passion is, quite simply, nothing more or less than your passion. It is, very simply, that thing in this world
about which you are passionate. It does not have to be justified nor quantified to anyone's satisfaction other than yours.

Consider the following:

1. What activities cause you to be excited and energized?
2. What activities tend to make you tired and worn out?
3. What passions in your life are you proud to share with others?
4. What do you want to be known for?
5. If you had to pursue one course to make a difference in the world, what would it be?

Once you have identified your passion, it is important to find the best way to turn your passion into your profession.

The late, great George Burns once told me that "If you love your job, you never work a day in your life." George Burns was passionate about his career as an entertainer, and he pursued that passion joyously for almost a century.

Recently, I've had the true privilege of getting to know 97-year-old Coach John Wooden who has, by far, more NCAA National Basketball Championships than anyone ever.

Coach Wooden considers himself a teacher. Had he not been a basketball coach, he feels he would have taught English. He sees very little difference between training seven-foot super athletes and instructing college freshmen in the basic rudiments of the English language.

Coach Wooden understands the key principle. His passion is the act of teaching, but it can be implemented in many ways.

I have a good friend who was a struggling night club comedian. Comedy was his passion, but he had reached a point where he could no longer survive financially. Then he made what some people would consider a drastic career move and became a humorist, speaking at corporate events.

Now he makes an amazing living and still pursues his passion. My friend understands that his passion is the
comedy, whether it's in a smoky nightclub or a corporate convention setting.

As you go through your day today, look for more and unique ways to pursue your passion.

Source: getmotivation.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:00 am

Two stories to tell you before the market opens:-

1) I know someone who was fighting with the boss of his boss. He was trying to save some money for the company because the big boss was trying to implement a program that would cost a Sin$1.5m with a very low probability of success. The big boss is based half the world away and does not know local conditions. In the end, the guy got fired ...

2) I know someone who did a very good job turning around a sleeping business. The big boss then sold the company and he does not have a job anymore.

So what's the moral of the stories ? Always take care of your interest and work towards your Financial Independence. Shit happens even when you have the best of intentions and have the company's interest in your heart ...
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:26 am

Nice stories
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 am

winston wrote:Two stories to tell you before the market opens:-

1) I know someone who was fighting with the boss of his boss. He was trying to save some money for the company because the big boss was trying to implement a program that would cost a Sin$1.5m with a very low probability of success. The big boss is based half the world away and does not know local conditions. In the end, the guy got fired ...

Don't bark at the wrong tree!

or in Chinese

'Want to hit the dog, must see who's the owner'
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 pm

i think we have this misconception that by picking on the bosses' ideas and initiatives, we are doing the company a favour... sometimes, this is very wrong, not just from a "political" standpoint, but also because this subordinate is too naive...

many of us go through our working careers thinking that we know best, that our supervisors are good for nothings and they are a waste of oxygen.... we fail to see that some of them actually have qualified experiences, skills and knowledge beyond us.... most of us, don't take the time to learn from these senior workers... we are so full of ourselves some times...

and the irony of it is that later on in our career, when we ascend to position of authority, we dont understand why our subordinates are unable to comply with simple instructions....

of cos, there will always be underperforming supervisors, just as there are underperforming subordinates... but this is no reason to contravene important decisions made by the bosses.... if there are opposing views, have them aired and discussed, but once a decision is taken, subordinates must envelope it and support their supervisors in the tasks at hand...

i once told my supervisor :

you are my best customer

and i meant it... for if he doesn't do well, so likely will my career be affected to some extent...and part of my job is to support his work objectives as it is his job to support his sueprvisor/s and on and on....ultimately, the entire company works as a machinery with everyone as the culminated parts...

i would encourage young employees to adopt a healthy and respectful attitude at work...learn humility before all the professional certificates...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:08 pm

When I was reporting to the top man in Asia for my division, I always treat him with utmost respect. Although I was the only person he can talk to about American life (he's American) cos' I lived there before, it never ever crossed my mind to "double cross" him. He is a superb boss and an able leader.

I understand that my ONLY job is TO MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD TO HIS SUPERIORS.

That is the only way I am going to get ahead in my career.

And it paid off handsomely when I was in corporate.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:43 pm

a very wise career strategy :!: of cos, i am sure you also delivered on your KPIs...

both IQ and EQ are needed to be a successful employee....

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby sidney » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 am

Good advice. How I wished I knew when I started working..
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Archives