Interview with Ichew

Interview with Ichew

Postby winston » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:04 am

This week we are very please to introduce ichew ...

Investideas: You have a very special nick. Why are you using this nick and what does it mean ?

My first name starts with letter "i", last name is chew, so ichew

InvestIdeas: What can you tell us about your background ?

I got a local degree in Mathematics but ended up as a Programmer for 5 years before switching to a Logistics firm. I just started a new job on 01 February 2010.

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

I think for about 10 years now but it is never the quantity but the quality. I think that I am still a very long long way to being good in investing / trading.

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading / investing ?

There are too many nice books to classify any as my favourite.

For FA, the "The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing" by Pat Dorsey and Joe Mansueto is a good introduction.

For TA, I thought that the books by Darryl Guppy are very good introductions.

The CANSLIM book is not bad too.

For FA/TA Psychology, I thought both Mark Douglas's "The Disciplined Trader" and "Trading in the Zone" are interesting, as well as Van K. Tharp's "Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom".

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

Sticking to SG stocks for now. Yes, it may be kelong. But there are enough volatility for TA and enough gems for FA digging. In addition, I have learned the importance of FOCUS.

InvestIdeas: What has been your best investment so far ?

I was blessed to have siam ( escaped ) the bulk of the recent 2008 recession. My rule #1 is to protect the capital. I was also blessed to have invested a lot of time with good friends.

InvestIdeas: What has been your worst investment?

Too many to speak of. But I think the worst of mine is in those "Insurance-Linked Unit-Trusts". I think the lesson learned is Retail Investing may not be inferior to these Professionals. Retail can run so much faster..

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

Focus. I like what d.o.g. mentioned in the old WS forum. That young people should focus on their job and get the high annual % increment. It beats earning that little bit from your investing. Oh, and SAVE a lot.

And when you have the time and spare cash, then FOCUS on learning everything about investing or trading. Know the difference and do not mix them up.

Without putting in the effort, it will be difficult to learn enough about investing / trading to be excellent.

If you just want good returns, you can stick to Index Funds etc and invest the time in other areas

Think this principle works for all other areas in our lives as well. Without FOCUS and investment of time and effort in our work, health, relationships, it is difficult to do well.

People who do not prioritize and try to juggle everything will just be average. ( by the way, average to me is also ok )

I am just suggesting that if you want to see excellent result in, say, your relationships with your family, you will need to prioritize time and energy to be there with them.

What are their love languages? Do you speak them? Do you take your kids out and be involved with them MENTALLY too? Do you take your wife out for a special date-nite once a week? Do you sit down and listen to your parents nag ?

If you want to see excellent result in your work, you will need to be more pro-active in all areas of your work. Stand up and be counted upon. There are always areas, processes to be improved upon. If you spend all your weekends, weekday nights on projects that matters eg finding new sales. I am sure you will get the raise.

Anyway these are my personal views only. Hope i did not ruffle anyone.

InvestIdeas: Are there any other Non-Investment related book that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

I like Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture".
And of cos my bible.

InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

Just got attached . Hence, FOCUS-ing on her and her only.

InvestIdeas: What are some of your favourite investment topics in the forum ?

Due to time constraints, I am FOCUS-ing only on SG Stocks Forum. Hopefully, when I have more time, i can move to others

I have been to other parts and I see a wealth of info... kudos to all contributors. Many thanks.

InvestIdeas: What are some of your other interests ?

Looking at Singapore Properties. La kopi and watching the world pass me by

Last words:-

I know I have improved in investing / trading these years because of the kind sharing of many forummers. Eternally grateful and thankful..
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with Ichew

Postby helios » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:24 am

iChew, you are very humble.

Thanks for sharing with us ... ...

Just curious, are you in a sales job?

(Are you still vested in SuperCoffee Mix?)
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby Aspellian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:07 am

Hi ichew,

thanks for your interview! i enjoyed it very much. :D

I also read of d.o.g's philosophy on working income and saving hard. I fully subscribe to that theory as well.

I especially like the part about focusing and spending time with family:
"What are their love languages? Do you speak them? Do you take your kids out and be involved with them MENTALLY too? Do you take your wife out for a special date-nite once a week? Do you sit down and listen to your parents nag ?"

I am surprise you also know about "love languages" concept even though you are not yet married... your present girlfriend (and hopefully future wife) will be very happy!! i'm trying to practise it as well. :lol:

Maybe one day we can share pointers... :mrgreen:

All the best to your new career~!! 8-)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:10 am

ichew,

Thanks for sharing. We hope to hear more from you.

Do let us know if there are wedding bells around the corner so that we can share the joy with you :D

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:19 pm

i know when i see "love languages" that we are clansmen.... 8-)

all the best to your investment/trading journey :!:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Cheng » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Good interview Ichew, excellent advice for the young people like me haha... Cheers! :D
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Postby ichew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 am

hi san san
nope, not a sales job.
i did apply for pharma-sales job back in 2003 but was rejected by pfizer, astra-zeneca ... ah well...
and nope, no longer vested in supercoffee. but always looking at it as my family buys its 3-in-1 to drink sometimes
r u vested?
my top holdings r in ara, tih and mcl-land
holding cash for now
but i go in n out of mkts a lot for tat plus minus few hundreds

hi aspellian
i hope she is happy with me too :P
but it is so difficult sometimes to be in a rel'ship as everyone has their own pre-set beliefs and ideas
but i guess it is how a couple choose to overcome their obstacles together tat defines them

hi mm
will definitely try to post more
just tat it is difficult to do it with a full-time job

hi kenny
haha, brother clansmen :-)
thanks, ya i hope everything will go well in this journey of mine
looking fwd to learning more abt options trading from u in future

hi cheng
just sharing wat i read.
d.o.g. wrote several good posts for us young pple but my thumbdrive ka-poot. anyway the forummers here can give us the same sound advice too.
ichew
Foreman

Postby Blackjack » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi Ichew, I always thought your nick was supposed to be an extension of Iphone, Ipad, Ixxx!

Speaking of the languages of love, I am constantly reminded of the 5 languages myself, though I can't quite remember them :lol:
Blackjack
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 pm

physical touch, acts of service and words of affection are 3 that comes to mind
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:34 pm

1. Words of Affirmation
2. Physical Touch
3. Quality Time
4. Gifts
5. Acts of Service

Speak to each other using THEIR love languages. (easier said than done but worth the efforts) :lol:

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Next

Return to Interview with Members