Interview with Aspellian

Interview with Aspellian

Postby winston » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:19 am

This week, we are very please to introduce Aspellian ..

Investideas: You have a very special nick. Why are you using this nick and what does it mean?

My matrimonial home is in a housing development call Aspella. Being a citizen of Aspella makes me an Aspellian.

“We, the residents of Aspella, pledged ourselves to be one, harmonious neighbour….” :P

Investideas: What can you tell us about your background ?

Background in Accountancy – naturally started with a Big 4 Accounting Firm to obtain a firm foundation in all matters finance, especially M&A + valuation.

Now using my finance knowledge to sniff and execute deals in the commercial world – something I am very passionate about!

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

Officially started since 2004, a few years after I started working and have savings.

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading / investing ?

No favourite books but I am very much inspired by Peter Lynch, O’Neil as well as Jesse Livermore.

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

Mainly focus in Spore stocks.

InvestIdeas: What has been your best and worst investment so far?

My best investments are actually my worst investments as well.

The first is JEL Corp. I made money on that but subsequently knowing that management is fraudulent makes me feel sore on my judgement of management’s integrity. I been to their AGMs and the CEO seems honest and passionate (apparently even the independent directors are tricked).

The second is Swiber. I made a few rounds trading up and got complacent thinking I am good (when its simply Bull(shit)). I pay it all back and much more when I average as the share price collapsed.

Now one of my key investment rules is to cut loss early and never average down on a losing trade.

InvestIdeas: What's your investment strategy ?

I practise CANSLIM – 80% fundamentals of high growth stocks plus market timing.

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

I am a newbie myself and still learning. So this advice is for me and those young/newbie out there.
- Always cut loss and never fight the market
- Be discipline and stick to your rules
- Never speculate with / using margins

Unless one is born with a substantial investment capital, it is still important to build a career first and earn the big bucks in an area you are passionate in. At the same time, learn how to invest wisely. Look forward to the day when your investment gains are consistently more than your annual salary.

InvestIdeas: Are there any other non-investment related books that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

2009 is the first time I read Bible and it really opened a whole new world to me. Never say never.

InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

Typical young Sporean couple planning to start a family.

What are some of your favourite investment topics in the forum ?
CANSLIM
Jesse Livermore

InvestIdeas: What are some of your other interests ?

Joker
Telling jokes to my wife and seeing her laugh and enjoy (at least I thought she enjoys, OR am I the joke?!!? )

The Reader
Not reading to my lover (as per the movie) but I have keen interests in reading a wide selection of titles at different stages of my life. Now I am eagerly digesting books on the Christian religion.

Friendster
Meeting new friends eg. those in this forum!
Meeting old friends!

Athleticism
Jogging - First time participated in 10km runs last year (Army Half and SCB) - clocking 1 hour on both ocassions. Targeting to run 10km under 50 mins this year (with proper leading-up training)
To stay trim and lean (with muscles) [age is catching up, not easy to maintain waistline]

Couch Potato
I support Manchester United since Ryan Giggs was 17 years old (that's close to 20 years ago!). I also like teams/players that show flair with a never-say-die-attitude.

I also love to watch rugby matches and support NZ All Blacks (I used to play in Padang vs Raffles Institution)

But my weekend career as a couch potato is coming to an end as I have no plans to sign up Mio TV. ;)

Aspellian also has an Investment Blog in the forum:-

Aspellian's Garden
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with Aspellian

Postby millionairemind » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing A Bro.

I have met friends who were totally transformed by religion (for the better :) )

I am glad that you found a religion that is suitable for you.

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby helios » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 am

A bro,

you are still in good shape leh ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby la papillion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 am

Hey Asp bro,

You should try this very good indian veg restaurant at chinatown pt, annalaskshmi. Buffet style but you can pay anything you like, haha :)
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Aspellian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 pm

millionairemind wrote:Thanks for sharing A Bro.

I have met friends who were totally transformed by religion (for the better :) )

I am glad that you found a religion that is suitable for you.

Cheers,
mm

Thanks MM! I tried so hard and struggled in the past to be a better person but let there be struggle no more. :lol:

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby Aspellian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:03 pm

San San wrote:A bro,

you are still in good shape leh ...

I used to be quite active in my younger days... but after some knee injury, studies, courtship, laziness and more excuses, i seldom exercise.

I always wonder whether i will be half as fit as the 70 year old man in my park always running and overtaking me??? :lol:

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby b0rderc0llie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Haha, lets go and run together with the 70 yr old man in the park :)
b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby Aspellian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:50 pm

b0rderc0llie wrote:Haha, lets go and run together with the 70 yr old man in the park :)

haha! ya man! maybe we can beat him if we have a relay tag-team! dun play play - that ah-pek got 6-pack lei! :lol:

Aspellian
Boss

Postby Aspellian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm

la papillion wrote:Hey Asp bro,

You should try this very good indian veg restaurant at chinatown pt, annalaskshmi. Buffet style but you can pay anything you like, haha :)

Hi Papillion! i been there once. very nice food. highly recommend for all. you give a token based on "satisfaction" level. think they linked to charity too!
:)

Aspellian
Boss

Postby cif5000 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Aspellian,

I have the feeling that you are going to be a great currency trader...
cif5000
Foreman

Return to Interview with Members