Interview with FCLim

Interview with FCLim

Postby winston » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 am

This week, we are very please to introduce fclim:-

InvestIdeas: What can you tell us about your background ?

Computer Science, NUS grad, most memorable module is Accounting because I almost aced it, with a D :P
I supposed you now know why I got a D... Hee... and what is it with all the IT people? Eat full, nothing to do and analyze the stock market in this forum? Hee...

Working in Pharma, i think the same company as cif5k, but we never had the chance to be colleagues, he left before i join ...

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

First dabbled with stocks in Nov-2004. For the record, I'm already 90% liquidated now, with nett loss of low low double-digit thousands...

Now crazy about properties... planning to get the first investment property in 2010/2011...

Investideas: What is your Investment Strategy ?

My strategy is to try to estimate the intrinsic values of companies, which I am still quite bad at.

My old blog, which I dont update anymore is at: http://valueinvestmentonsgx.blogspot.com/

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading/investing?

My #1 idol is still Mr Buffet. In 2005/6, I printed all his annual newsletters and read them on the train. Very refreshing... especially like to read his mistakes! =p

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

Mainly SGX stocks.

InvestIdeas: What has been your best investment so far?

Err.... I'm too novice to really make much money from the market. When the shares go up, I'm very kan chiong. Up 30%, then I sell out ... like some kan chiong spider.

InvestIdeas: What has been your worst investment?

Worst one is Asiatic... no matter how much I prayed and hoped that it will realised its potential value, its stuck! hahaha... this one, I really become long term investor becauselose money then have to wait ... sigh...

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

Read this forum! Recognize the gurus and follow their advice!

Also, it might not hurt if you start reading up on Mr Buffet & Mr Munger, if I could start over, I probably should start with "Poor Charlie's Almanack". Yes, I have a copy and if you are pretty enough, I might just loan it to you....

InvestIdeas: Are there any other non-investment related books that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

Not really but I'm quite a seminar junkie, i.e. I had spent abt Sin$7-8k in total to attend those 'awakening' seminars. Of the money spent, the most worthwhile ones are AsiaWorks and Money & You... if you are thinking of doing it, be careful! It can be additive and cause a big hole in the pockets!

InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

I'm married with 2 kids (huge investments, with hopefully zero returns in 20-25yrs time, i.e. after 25yrs, the kids should at least be able to self-fund, otherwise, I'll be very sad)....

InvestIdeas: What are some of your favourite topics in the forum ?

1) Subprime? Is it still active? Hee.... http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=190
2) and of course the Singapore Properties:
http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=10

Investideas: What are some of your other interests ?

Thinking of going on diet... hey, its already a hard job to think of it ok! If I think long and hard enough, there might be a chance I'm really going to do it! =)
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with FCLim

Postby iam802 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:44 am

winston wrote:This week, we are very please to introduce fclim:-

InvestIdeas: What can you tell us about your background ?

Computer Science, NUS grad, most memorable module is Accounting because I almost aced it, with a D :P
I supposed you now know why I got a D... Hee... and what is it with all the IT people? Eat full, nothing to do and analyze the stock market in this forum? Hee...

I think it is not just IT folks....we can probably extend it to 'Engineering' in general.

I have lots of friends (in Engineering) who is now pondering about life beyond 40-45.

Lots of jobs may not be around at some point in time.

Here's wishing you great success in your investment!

Hope to see you posting more in the forum :)
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 am

winston wrote:
InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

I'm married with 2 kids (huge investments, with hopefully zero returns in 20-25yrs time, i.e. after 25yrs, the kids should at least be able to self-fund, otherwise, I'll be very sad)....

Hi FC,

Thanks for the interview.

We as parents only hope that we have taught them right and they can stand on their own 2 feet by the time they are 18 :D

Even though they are -ve ROI investments, we still enjoy lots of dividend joy and happiness along the way of holding on to them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi fclim,

thanks for sharing... and welcome to investideas....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Cheng » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:13 pm

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading/investing?

My #1 idol is still Mr Buffet. In 2005/6, I printed all his annual newsletters and read them on the train. Very refreshing... especially like to read his mistakes! =p

Have you read his partnership letters 1959-1969? It shows a glimpse of how Buffett started, at least during that time he is somewhat our league. :lol:

http://warrenbuffett.valuestockplus.net ... o-partners
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:18 pm

i recall reading that buffet was born into a wealthy family? his father was some got head got face personality of his day?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby fclim » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 pm

wow thanks for the many comments! pai seh... pai seh... I dun check this forum so often now coz have been out of touch with the stock analysis for some time now liao...but still enjoy ready mr buffet's letters... anytime man... here is the link to his letters:
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

have not been doing stock analysis because since 2H09, my 'personal project' is to work on my 'dream' private property... so, did not spend much time on stock analysis... but reading through the Tiger IPO thread 5 mins ago, reminds me that I'm with a bunch of damn good people, with clear minded, common sense, rational analysis... if only the clueless herd would come here and read a little more... :)

my honour to be associated with you folks! :)

have fun,
fc
fclim
Loafer

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:11 pm

Great reading your interview! post more on this forum!

Its always very exciting to buy a dream home to house one's family!

I also hoping to get my dream property in 3-5 years time or until when there's a next big crash (whichever is latter). Will wait patiently. ;)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Return to Interview with Members