Art of War

Thirty Six Strategies

Postby millionairemind » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:41 am

San mei mei, this one's for you. :D

Sun Tzu urges us..
to not attack an enemy whose ranks are in perfect order and not to advance uphill

Book translates
How many times have you fought the tape? The axiom is that the trend is your friend. Hardly new advice but still as valid as ever.

Personal take

Never ever fight the trend. Especially major market trends. Going long in a correction is like rowing against the tide. You may get somewhere but with the amount of energy you have to expend, it is just not worth the effort.

Go with the flow. If you are uncomfortable going short in mkt correction, go full cash and watch from the sides how the market tanks to where it wants to go.

We all have limited amount of time and money. Y commit them to the market when the odds are against you? I always close all my long positions once mkt goes into a correction cos' I know I am just not smart enough to find stocks that moves up when the market is going down :mrgreen:

And I know that the market can make me a bankrupt and a pauper in double quick time if I don't follow my personal trading rules.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Re: The 36 Strategies

Postby helios » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:55 am

wahh ... got your pigeon!

thanks to MM-ge ge.
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:49 pm

San mei mei,

I just finished reading the book. Here is one small exerpt.

Sun Tzu said....
not to move unless you see an advantage, not to use the troops unless there is something to be gained, and not to fight unless the position is critical.

Book translates...
As mentioned previously, you do not trade for fun and games. You trade to make money. Trading is a dangerous business, particularly in the more leveraged arenas of futures and options. You get paid to take risks, do not commit your resources lightly.

mm's take..
Do not go long when mkt in correction. When mkt follows thro' and risk reward ratio is favorable, whack and whack BIG! :mrgreen:

cheers,
mm
Last edited by millionairemind on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Re: The Art of War

Postby winston » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 pm

I have moved the discussion on "The Art of War" into this thread from the "36 Strategies" thread.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 pm

millionairemind wrote:Sun Tzu said....
not to mvoe unless you see an advantage, not to use the troops unless there is something to be gained, and not to fight unless the position is critical.

敌不动,我不动
敌一动,我先动

不过,这未必是明智
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: Art of War

Postby winston » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.- Sun-tzu
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:05 pm

When the body is too tired, don't go ktv, waste money
But when the body is strong, start from happy hour, value for money :)

That is to say, attack early early when u r physically n mentally able, the battle is almost won. Haha
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:09 pm

I thought it is because the will is strong, that's why the body can go to 'war'.

Because the mind already win over the tired body.... so it is victorious
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:28 am

somethings...need a strong body too..besides the will power.... cant stand means cant stand one...it's a physique thing....hahahaha...the mind cant always will it....and so, i was told.... :lol:

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby AirFlownAussiePork » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Everyone is talking about the Art of War as applicable to business. Just wondering why is 经商宝典 by 陶朱公 missed out. Have only seen one or two lecture series in NTU. It has as much if not more relevancy in business than Art of War. Both 孙子 and 陶朱公 were from similar era in the Warring States period.
AirFlownAussiePork

PreviousNext

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas