CANSLIM & Momentum Investing 02 (Aug 09 - Dec 24)

CANSLIM & Momentum Investing 02 (Aug 09 - Dec 24)

Postby Aspellian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 pm

i will wait patiently for a clear signal before i trade, hopefully for the lower.
<trying to tie myself in a strap-jacket now cos my burnt fingers itching to trade> ;)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Re: US - Market Direction & Strategy (Jul 09 - Aug 09)

Postby kennynah » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:33 pm

and for me to learn from you Aspellian...might i ask...what signal/s is/are you waiting/looking for?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 am

kennynah wrote:and for me to learn from you Aspellian...might i ask...what signal/s is/are you waiting/looking for?

i am following this: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=262&start=160

But of course this doesnt work 100%. but one thing is in my favour, I can cut loss 7%! and wait for the coin to flip HEAD!! I dun have to win all the time (how i wish, :lol: ), but if i can survive and be there for the big movements ( - multi-baggers are born in uptrend), then good enough to buy me daily bread, i will be very bless liao.

In summary:
1. market direction, uptrend or downtrend
2. long or shorts
3. individual stocks/index/options

for stocks - value investing type of research!! throw in a bit of market timing. hopefully my rojak of methods doesnt taste horrible. it looks "si-bei hoh-jiak" on theory / backtesting but i a few weeks back i lack discipline to execute the right things at the RIGHT moments for big price movements. better tie myself in a straits jacket and patiently wait and just contribute to forum... hahahaha!!!

<you must be thinking i really need straits jacket - - - day-dreaming again!!!!!!!! wahahahah!!!!! :lol: )

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:15 am

oh...i see.... the Expressions technique....sure CANSLIM one...

but specifically, i like to learn abit more about this much touted method...let's be more specific... you said you were waiting for a clear sign...i presume now, you mean by adopting canslim method...

and so...using canslim method...and given the current US equities indexes right now...

what is/are the sign/s you are looking for, so as to convince yourself the "head" has turned up?

please, i am asking for the exact specifics...not the 5 accumulation days within 2-4 weeks, after the follow 1st through day...not the if follow through after 5 accumulation days fail, then the signal is crappy, etc...

specifics. ...on the application of canslim.....is what i am requesting from you...so i too can be slim...

i thank you in advance....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby kennynah » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 am

Aspellian wrote: ( - multi-baggers are born in uptrend)

brudder aspellian... i hate to confuse you.... but the above statement....hmmmm.... is not entirely accurate...

let me help recap just a few counters, not many...that provided multi-baggers without an uptrend...

AIG, GM, LEH, MS, BSC, FNM, FRE, Nortel, CSCO, Alcatel, EMC, Equinix, Juniper, Texas Instruments, and about 999 other tech stocks of 2001....

to be more exact....any prolong trend, whether up or down....can offer multi-baggers... but why do people only speak about uptrend...i guess becos it is more "natural" for most people to go Long... but to be fair...it is indeed more cumbersome to go Short...still, it is certainly not incredibly difficult...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:34 am

kennynah wrote:oh...i see.... the Expressions technique....sure CANSLIM one...

but specifically, i like to learn abit more about this much touted method...let's be more specific... you said you were waiting for a clear sign...i presume now, you mean by adopting canslim method...

and so...using canslim method...and given the current US equities indexes right now...

what is/are the sign/s you are looking for, so as to convince yourself the "head" has turned up?

please, i am asking for the exact specifics...not the 5 accumulation days within 2-4 weeks, after the follow 1st through day...not the if follow through after 5 accumulation days fail, then the signal is crappy, etc...

specifics. ...on the application of canslim.....is what i am requesting from you...so i too can be slim...

hi winston, can you kindly put above threads to under CANSLIM??

hi Kenny, i will answer your question later after i put on my thinking hat (its not easy when your hands are tied up in a straits jacket)

when we are in expressions/mary chia thread, MM-sifu (the slimmest of them all) can guide us with his power!!!! :mrgreen:

Aspellian
Boss

Postby millionairemind » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 am

Oi! Don't drag me into this contest hor.. A-BRO :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Time to go fetch my son...

You answer to Ken Da Ge :P
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:44 am

bro MM.... not a contest at all... a serious question from a wana-learn-how-to-be-slim forummer to another already slimmed forummer... with the only intention to learn the specifics...else, i will have to read so much... i lazy...like people to teach me...faster like dat... ;)

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:52 pm

kennynah wrote:please, i am asking for the exact specifics...not the 5 accumulation days within 2-4 weeks, after the follow 1st through day...not the if follow through after 5 accumulation days fail, then the signal is crappy, etc...

Hi Kenny-bro,
No worries, definitely not a contest. all of us are here to learn from one and another, no harm learning a new skill, a new weapon - you never know when you will use it or it could even suit your fighting style better.

on a serious note: what you have written above is the specifics and is the EXACT answer to your question. you have the answer all along. it is this crappy sign that decide HEAD or TAIL. dun ask me why its so crappy and bloody-so-simple... i have also asked the exact same question to "the-slimmest-of-them-ALL" whether M of cansliM is that bloody simple and idoitic ( hey!! I am a GraTuAted, you know! :lol: )

you will ask is it that simple whereby market timing can be done just by counting the distribution days??
- counting and making sure the distribution days are not more than the fingers of your one hand (ie. 5 days) within a period of no more than your 4 limbs (ie. 2-4 weeks)... as simple as counting. . . like what one-year-old first learn to do??

you will ask is it that simple whereby market timing can be done just by looking at whether indexes volume more than yesterday?
you will ask is it that simple whereby market timing can be done just by looking at whether index dropped >0.2% AND with volume more than yesterday?
you will ask is it that simple whereby market timing can be done just by looking at whether distribution days added up (3-5 days) within 2-4 weeks?

Seriously i am not insulting anyone's intelligence. i am still in deep red, i have not shed (earn) a single gram (cent) based on CANSLIM because i dun have the discipline, faith and my trading plan not comprehensive (i am still revising to take into account various scenarios and type of instruments to buy - thanks Kenny for advocating on a Trading Plan). But I have the faith and it seems that someone out there is slim enough to show CANSLIM miracle effects, i done my back-testing, it looks incredible.... so i will fine tune it until i slim down.

Still not convince?? then spend sometime reread this thread right from the start (i know you slightly lazy, but it really really helps... :lol: ) - "the-slimmest-of-them-ALL" have shown it in this forum/thread, only whether we wish to listen.

a personal side of the story
- i first learnt of CANSLIM 5 yrs ago - i brush it aside as just ONE OF THE MANY investment style and subscribe to my lecturer's teaching in Financial Management 101 that market cannot be timed and market is efficient - better to use Markowitz's Efficient Frontier. Then i realise got the celebrity Buffet who is highly praised, i decided to follow his style (even though i know i was too old to distribute Straits Times)... so i continue in my glory days of bull-investing (the Bull's Eye is so big and right under my nose that however i tried, i cannot lose $$!!! :D ).
- Market turned, i averaged thinking that i am NEO (from Matrix), that falling knife is nothing vs the slow-motion bullets i conquered!!
- left right centre i catch all knives (you can see from my swiber purchase in mid 2008)
- i disappeared thereafter; ego busted, ass busted, hair from everywhere is burnt, paisei to show a naked DXXX, also dare not go ICU cos i have no $$$...
- until the hair starts to grow back (lucky my career still a saving grace, got some $ as i rebuild and learn to be humble)
- i start to reread my books, many others then i chance upon the discarded SLIMming pills again.
- then i came back to (now defunct) HUATOPEDIA and start asking stupid question which "the-slimmest-of-them-ALL" is generous and very very patient to answer; just like how Winston contributes selflessly.
- I really kow-tow to MM and Winston who has seen it and done it but still willing to share their knowledge (humbly and patiently) - its really amazing how big their hearts are....
- and FAST FORWARD - here i am in my straits-jacket, typing, and trying to share with you WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW....
- "the-slimmest-of-them-ALL" has said how he wish someone told him that market timing can be done many years ago... and in his many threads and warnings, advices to many out there that it could be done... its not to change your style of investing, M of cansliM can be used to enhance your style...
- "me-in-the-straits-jacket" also will like to tell (after my painful lesson) any newbie out there that indeed market timing can be done... (but I concluded, being young with its ego is a learning process, you must fall down hard then you know that it is DANGEROUS to jump from 2nd floor of HDB flat - even when playing "Police-and-Theif", :lol: i'm sure many of us have done the "impossible" acts to realise it was nearly the LAST act!! )

Finally, you may ask - what makes me think that CANSLIM is the one method you should follow
My answer is - i dunno - i just have the FAITH.

if "the-slimmest-of-them-all" (i think very TALL and skinny :lol: ) has the time (after he fetched his kid home), patience and kindness (after so much of my praises), he may add in a few humble words... ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Like to emphasise again that this is not a contest between different investment styles - different methods yield different results in different hands. Just like Karate, Taikwando, Judo, Thai-boxing, shaolin (with many sub-divisions), all can be used for self-defense and can be very effective as long as one gets the true spirit of the art.

Aspellian
Boss

Re: CANSLIM & Momentum Investing

Postby kennynah » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:18 pm

thanks for this sesquipedalian answer.... to give it enough attention.... i will need to find a dedicated slot to absorb all that you have written...

thank you

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Next

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas