Bug Report: Kennynah

Bug Report: Kennynah

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:05 pm

please ignore this post...

GR, please see the "special characters" that in within and the automatic reptition...

i suspect it is to do with using the "colour" tab....i used this colour to "hide" the "......" at the formula...

i repeated the same post immediately succeeding this post but this time, i removed using the "colour" tab, and the problem seemed to be resolved

Continuously Compounding

this may seem to be a digression, but i assure you this small topic is an integral part of this series on prob and stats/ risks vs rewards

first, review this piece on time required to double your investment... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1711&p=40377#p40377

now, 72 is that "special" number that can approximate the time needed for one to double the investment capital.

but how is the number 72 derived? surely, there must be a sound mathematical logic behind this. and it is indeed derived<textarea name="message" id="message" rows="15" cols="76" tabindex="3" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);" class="inputbox">this may seem to be a digression, but i assure you this small topic is an integral part of this series on prob and stats/ risks vs rewards

first, review this piece on time required to double your investment... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1711&p=40377#p40377

now, 72 is that "special" number that can approximate the time needed for one to double the investment capital.

but how is the number 72 derived? surely, there must be a sound mathematical logic behind this. and it is indeed derived from what is known in mathematics (and surely, some what familiar to many FA practitioners), as continuously compounding

the formula is :
.....RT
e

Making continuously compounding = 2, means you want to achieve 2 times your investment capital and taking into account, "continuously compounding" of returns (R) over a period of time (T).

hence, using natural log, and applying to both sides of the equation, we arrive at this :

.....RT
e.......= 2

RT x ln e = ln 2

RT = 0.72 (0.72 is easily converted to 72, when you treat R in % terms,ie. eg 6%, instead of decimated figure or 0.06)

now, we know where that "special" 72 comes from...

it is derived from continuous compounding concept
Last edited by kennynah on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: Bug report: Kennynah

Postby blid2def » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 pm

K, I need your help to clarify how this problem was created. I can see where the error portion is though.

You mentioned:

i suspect it is to do with using the "colour" tab....i used this colour to "hide" the "......" at the formula...

i repeated the same post immediately succeeding this post but this time, i removed using the "colour" tab, and the problem seemed to be resolved

Eh, I don't really know what you meant here. Did you mean that when you encounter that when you use the colour bbcodes to highlight something? Is there anything specific that you highlight that creates the problem - e.g. some specific type of text? Are you able to duplicate the problem?
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 pm

yes, that's what i meant...i used the colour tab to "colour" some stuff..and then the problems occurred.

.................. >> this means, i did not colour the "............"

..................... >> this means, i coloured the ".........."

obviously, i cant duplicate the problem now...it happens intermittently...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 pm

LOL... okay got what you mean liao. Chialat leh, you cannot duplicate... I cannot duplicate... hard to troubleshoot! Hahaha.

Anyone else has the same problem?
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41 pm

ok...then, let it be.... when it happens again...then happen lor...no sweat....a bit lay chay only...but will survive...thanks anyways...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 pm

If you can find a way to duplicate then lemme know again. Or others have same problem, please report. I'll see if I can make it happen also.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 pm

ok...thanks...

<(&%$#((*&Ggihtgf$#990*I(->>> ok (&%$&RT76) thanks.....

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Return to Feature & Support Requests + Bug Reports