Dialects

Dialects

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm wondering who's older : Ah Pek or Ah Chek?? Pardon my poor Hokkien.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Re: Retirement & Financial Planning

Postby kennynah » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:00 pm

ah pek...is the older uncle and ah chek is the younger .... these addresses are used only for the father's siblings

the mother's siblings have different addresses; ie younger and older brother - are all knowns as "gu" (3rd sound)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:01 pm

haha... I think growing up in a Hokkien only family I can safely say Ah Chek is younger... Ah Pek is old man.. Ah Chek is older uncle.. :P

But then some guys here have phD in Hokkientology so I might stand corrected.. :lol:

So I am Ah Chek instead of Ah Pek... :lol:

By the way, some older hokkien families will have the children call their fathers Ah Chek, not Ah Pa... I only found out it has got to do with fortune teller saying that in doing so will bring "peace and good fortune" to the child cos' their Ba Zi clashed... (maybe wrong, only learn this from older Ah peks). I grew up calling my dad Ah Chek......
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:09 pm

MM : hahaha....your hokkien not quite accurate...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:10 pm

kennynah wrote:MM : hahaha....your hokkien not quite accurate...

haha... so you are the one with phD!!!! :lol:

I only under graduate degree in Hokkientology.

But I digress from the main topic.. :P
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:14 pm

So, Ah Chek is younger :lol: :lol:

Oh Yes, some Hokkiens call their fathers "Ah Chek" and not "Ah Pa" :!: This surprise me cuz I only tot the Cantonese do this.
I call my late father, "Ah Suk" and not "Ah Pa" for precisely the same reason.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:18 pm

now...we know L is canto..... welcome to hokkiepedia...hahahaha....

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi K

Ya, lor. I also like to 'cho cho' U :D :D Singapore Hokkien really tickles me :lol:
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:22 pm

anytime L.... the pleasure is all mine.. ;)

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Aiyoh, how I can mis-type. I mean "your Singapore Hokkien really tickles me" :lol:
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Next

Return to Archives