Good Posting Practices

Good Posting Practices

Postby blid2def » Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 pm

winston, kennynah:

I see you post a lot of articles, which is great of course. Just nitpicking - is it possible that for each article, you post a heading in bold? For example for the series of articles in the Health Thread, is it possible for you to put the article heading for each of them (e.g. "The Importance of Breakfast" or "Multiple Sex Partners Help Prevents Alzheimers"), etc?

This makes the topics a lot more readable and also allows folks to pick out what they wanna read more easily.

Same goes for others who post multiple thread replies with articles. Thanks much!
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: Good Posting Practices

Postby blid2def » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Can I again remind folks to please:
(a) post the link to the story where you're cutting and pasting from
(b) post the author and source of the story
(c) provide an excerpt rather than post everything verbatim, if the article is very long (optional, though advisable)

If you don't credit the story to its source (by providing the name of the author or source, or by providing a link to the story), it's actually as good as plagiarisation. Here's an example of what I hope folks will do:

EXAMPLE:

Source: http://blah.blah.com

US detonates nuclear bomb under Wall Street
by Annie Hullwag

Market collapses. Literally!!! Yada yada blah blah.

---

And please don't get lazy, just dump the articles in a friggin' wall of text and expect winston and I to do the editing, formatting and cleanup for you (well, more winston; I have too short an attention span to read all the articles here haha).

We can't force you to comply, but I hope you folks will help. You auto, we auto, okay? Thanks!
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:14 am

Dear All,

Now that things have stabilized a bit in the forum, it may be time to revisit the above:-

1) If you happened to be posting a long article, please do put in some paragraphs. It would be easier for the next person to read.

2) Please do also put in a title on any of your post

3) If it is a new thread, please do use as little words as possible in the title. It would be easier to look for it later.

4) Also, if you are copying and pasting something from somewhere, please do edit it first, so that every space in the sentence is filled up. It would make the post much shorter and easier to read.

Example. Please try to edit sentence #5 below, so that you will end up as sentence #4 above

5) Also, If you are copying and pasting something
from somewhere, please do edit it first,
so that every space in the sentence is used up.
It would make the post much shorter and easier
to read.

I do read most of the threads and I will normally do the above, to make it easier for the next reader to read. However, I may put in the paragraphs at the wrong place or bold the wrong words and you may not like it. So, I would appreciate if you can do the above in the first place. It would also help me save some time

Have great day !

Thanks and take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 am

Reminder:-

Can I again remind folks to please:
(a) post the link to the story where you're cutting and pasting from
(b) post the author and source of the story
(c) provide an excerpt rather than post everything verbatim, if the article is very long (optional, though advisable)

If you don't credit the story to its source (by providing the name of the author or source, or by providing a link to the story), it's actually as good as plagiarisation.[/color] Here's an example of what I hope folks will do:

EXAMPLE:

by Annie Hullwag

Last edited by winston on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 am

Please do keep "horse-racing" postings to a minimum.

Or if we want to post any "horse-racing" update ( because we are very excited that our horse is galloping fast and furious :D ), perhaps we can delete those "horse-racing" postings after a few days.

That way, it would be easier for the next reader, who's trying to research that particular topic.

Thanks and take care,
Winston
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 am

Please minimize "nested quotes".

When posting a reply, we should limit quotes to only one member.

When we start having nested quotes from 3 person, things starts to get messy.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:10 am

Reminder:-

When posting, please do keep in mind the following:
(a) bold the title
(b) leave spaces between paragraphs so that it's easier for the next reader to read
(c) post the link to the story where you're cutting and pasting from
(d) post the author and source of the story
(e) provide an excerpt rather than post everything verbatim, if the article is very long (optional, though advisable)
(f) please do not bold the entire paragraph or use a color that's hard to read eg. red. Just bold a key words.
(g) no horse racing

If you don't credit the story to its source (by providing the name of the author or source, or by providing a link to the story), it's actually as good as plagiarisation.

Here's an example of what I hope folks will do:

EXAMPLE:

by Annie Hullwag

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:22 pm

When posting, please do keep in mind the following:
(a) bold the title
(b) leave spaces between paragraphs so that it's easier for the next reader to read
(c) post the link to the story where you're cutting and pasting from
(d) post the author and source of the story
(e) provide an excerpt rather than post everything verbatim, if the article is very long (optional, though advisable)
(f) please do not bold the entire paragraph or use a color that's hard to read eg. red. Just bold a key words.
(g) no horse racing

If you don't credit the story to its source (by providing the name of the author or source, or by providing a link to the story), it's actually as good as plagiarisation.

Here's an example of what we need to do:

EXAMPLE:

by Annie Hullwag

winston
Billionaire Boss

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS