Charity & Volunteering 01 (Jun 08 - Mar 11)

Re: Charity & Volunteering 01 (Jun 08 - Mar 11)

Postby winston » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Aspellian wrote: Curious - may I ask why you keep a diary on No.of times of certain activities?

Hi A,

If an activity is enjoyable to me, I would like to do more of it. And the only way to do more of it, is to note it down in my diary and then compare it on a month to month basis.

Similarly, if I should do less of an activity, I want to also record it down. And on a monthly basis, I would know whether I'm making progress.

This year, I've started recording down my "kindness activities" so that I would be always reminding myself to do more of it.

I should also start a "gratitude" section. Good idea !

Take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Coins

I think some of you have heard about the story of the guy who would go around flipping coins on the street. He finds joy in knowing that the kids who find his coin, would be very happy.

Also, whenever, he sees a cleaner around his place, he would pretend to tie his shoe lace and then place a coin on the floor for the cleaner.

He would also place a coin under the waste paper basket in the public washoom. So whenever the cleaner cleans the place, they would find a coin underneath the waste paper basket...
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 am

W : i may have at times joke in this thread.. but i want you to know that i have alot of respect and admiration for the charity that you are doing and the consistent call/reminder to all of us to be charitable...

i hope this post can serve to encourage you to go on possessing this charitable heart... 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
2011 Annual Letter

I am writing to share my third annual letter about the work our foundation and its partners are doing.

The world has already accomplished so much to improve the lives of poor people, and I see exciting opportunities to do even more.

For example, the miracle of vaccines gives us the ability to save millions of children and to eradicate polio from the earth. But in these tough economic times, there is a risk that governments won't maintain their commitment to these goals. The key to building on the progress we have made is bold leadership.

You can read my letter at www.gatesfoundation.org/annualletter.

Every one of us can be an advocate for people whose voices are not often heard. I am optimistic that, together, we can create a world in which all people have the chance to lead a healthy and productive life. Thank you for taking the time to learn more.

Sincerely,

Bill Gates
Co-chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/annual-l ... /home.aspx
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Hmmm.... From green-mailing to donation. Good for him :D

Vincent Tan pledges to donate half his wealth by FAZLEENA AZIZ

KUALA LUMPUR: Berjaya Corporation Bhd founder Tan Sri Vincent Tan has pledged to donate at least half of his wealth to charity.

The announcement was made by Tan during an impromptu speech at the launch of the Berjaya Founder’s Day event, where he spoke about his decision to join “The Giving Pledge” that was initiated by Bill Gates, his wife Melinda and Warren Buffett.

His announcement was greeted by loud applause from guests at the event and shoppers at Berjaya Time Square yesterday.

To kickstart his plans, Tan will donate RM20mil this year to various charities that will be announced soon.

“I will also channel to the Better Malaysia Foundation to honour my country.

“Eventually, I would like to give away half of my wealth and I hope it will inspire more wealthy Malaysians to donate money for charity,” he said.

According to a recent Bernama report, Tan is the nation’s 12th richest person with assets worth RM2.43bil.

He is ranked 828th on the Forbes 2010 world billionaire list with a net worth of US$1.2bil (RM3.66bil).

Tan also donated RM1.5mil to match the RM1.5mil fund that was raised from the Founder’s Day carnival for 28 selected non-governmental organisations and charitable organisations.

The Founder’s Day event was initiated to honour the philanthropic efforts of Tan in conjunction with his birthday on Feb 23.

A special coffeetable book chronicling his charitable works titled A Legacy of Care was also presented to him yesterday.

According to Berjaya Corporation chief executive officer Datuk Robin Tan, Founder’s Day will be held in February annually.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm

It's the start of a new school year. If you have sometime on Saturdays

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Do you like working with children from 10-12 yrs of age?

Do you feel like contributing to society but do not know where to start?

Do you have a couple of hours every Saturday to help out an underprivileged kid from a very low income family and become his/her mentor??

If you answered YES to the above, WE NEED YOU
The Supervised Homework Group (SHG) from CDAC at Marsiling MRT branch is short of adult volunteers. The kids who come to the center from 1-4pm every Saturday are from low income families where the TOTAL INCOME/FAMILY is no more than $1200. Quite a few of them are from single parent homes or families with alot of problems.

Between 1-3pm, we coach them in their studies (Math, Science and English). From 3-4pm, we play games with them and act as mentor. Don't worry if you feel that you might not be able to coach them, we have guide books, WE JUST NEED YOU

As all of them come from low income families with little means, this 1-to-1 attention hopes to provide good mentorship/tutoring. We have kids who fail every subject and after attending the classes for a couple of years, pass at least pass 3 out of 4 subjects.

If you think you are up to the task, please PM me here.

Thank you for reading.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:40 am

big boss MM.... you are doing a great service to our nation 8-)

you dont need to be conferred this Public Service medal when you are the spirit behind such memorabilia :P

Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 am

K - Thanks for your kind words..

We all do what we can to make this world a better place... :)
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Budget Debate: Ng Teng Fong's family donates $125m to new Jurong hospital
By ANGELA TAN

The family of Ng Teng Fong, the late founding Chairman of Far East Organization, has decided to donate S$125 million towards the new general hospital in Jurong, Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said on Friday.

The donation was made in memory of Mr Ng.

In recognition of the significant donation, the new general hospital in Jurong East will be named Ng Teng Fong Hospital, Mr Khaw said.

He said the government hospital will be fully funded by the government but the private donations will provide additional help to needy patients, besides funding other worthy services.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/lat ... 48,00.html?
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 pm

good deed by the late Mr Ng

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

PreviousNext

Return to Archives