Interview with Winston

Re: Interview with Winston

Postby kennynah » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:45 pm

i think the primary difference between Investideas and many other singapore stock forums, is that we have here real investors/traders.... people who really put on positions and are very serious about this trade...

reading some of the postings, one can believe that they are written with some serious trading experiences... and some here have actually been very successful.... and of cos, even those of us who are newer in this trade, are also serious about this game....

people here are generally also rather respectful of diverse views... seldom with too strong a language...

and for those who spam... their accounts are wiped out before they can put up the next post.... 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 am

Hi Tony Lim, Cheng, Aspellian, Lithium and kennynah,

Thanks for your kind comments !

Take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby ichew » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 am

winston wrote:However, most full time traders have a lot of stuff to trade everyday. As for me, I dont really have alot of stuff to trade everyday. Sometimes, none at all ...

So I will call it "looking for trading ideas" full time :P.
Most of my time nowadays, are spent looking for short term trading ideas ...

hi winston
i like tat --> "looking for trading ideas" full time.
hopefully i can join u in this soon :P
now doing part-time haha

below r just some ramblings from me. dunno where to put it so here it goes.

============

i found tat there r always more ideas than money... at least for me
but which of these ideas can generate the most returns to me .. hmmm this keeps me thinking always.

i subscribe to buffett's idea tat each one of us shld be given only say 10 chances to invest in our lifetime
in such a case, it will cause us to tink thru, study thoroughly b4 investing.
same for trading - we shld be given only say 10 chances to trade in a given mth?
once u can trade or invest well consistently, the easy way to grow our money is the size of our bets
And becos there r only 10 tries, each of our bets will be bigger n the returns in absolute terms bigger too
a 20% return on $10k = $2k vs 20% return on $50k = $10k.
big difference!
** btw the usual trading cut-losses applies. but i believe one's entry will get better with experience.

spending all our time tinking abt tat 1 investment vs dividing ur time over 10 also makes a difference in the quality of ur studies
ichew
Foreman

Postby Poles » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Winston,

I like to ask you some questions about your 2nd life crisis.

In your teens, do you have any serious hobbies?
What happen to them when you start working in your 20s/30s??

For me....my hobby went into hibernation when i started working in my 20s.....
it does a comeback in my early 30.....there is some regret that I never follow them in my 20s.
For my 2nd life....I am looking forward to return to teenage times....
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby winston » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am

Hi ichew,

Not sure about WB. He has a big portfolio so he cant really get in and out whenever he wants to.

The idea that generate the best return are those that has a Catalyst behind them. If not, you will have to sit on the position for a long time. And in this type of market, I dont really want to sit on any unnecessary position.

Take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 pm

poland wrote:For me....my hobby went into hibernation when i started working in my 20s.....
it does a comeback in my early 30.....there is some regret that I never follow them in my 20s.
For my 2nd life....I am looking forward to return to teenage times....

Poland,

Congrats! At least you know what you want to do... :D

I think alot of Singaporeans in their late 30s/40s have worked so hard for so long... that they have forgotten how to have fun... :?

And that's when usually a mid-life crisis starts.. :(

And they start getting that sports car, dye their hair, wear an ear stud and date younger woman (even if they are married) :P

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Musicwhiz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 pm

MM, I know how to have fun!

Singing in the shower, cycling and watching movies is my idea of leisure. Sometimes I dance a little jig while blasting disco music at home.

Yeah I know I lack the "disco" atmosphere and the quintessential "Mirrorball", but heck it's much cheaper and less crowded than going to a real disco! :lol:
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby winston » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm

poland wrote:I like to ask you some questions about your 2nd life crisis.

In your teens, do you have any serious hobbies?
What happen to them when you start working in your 20s/30s??

Hmmm.... I dont really have much hobbies in my teens. I did enjoy rearing fishes and reading though.

I stopped rearing fishes because I was travelling a lot. I stopped the heavy reading as I can get a lot of stuff on the internet nowadays.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby learn2win » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

winston wrote:Hi learn2win,

Ha Ha ... yes, I have been struggling with that for 4 years now.

Just noticed your signature. George Clason. That's the guy that wrote "The Richest Man in Babylon" or something like that. I did read that book in the 90s and it has also affected my thinking about things.

The most memorable part of the book, was when they pay a lot for stuff like art, pearls, tea, perfume etc..

Another part that I like is when they were trying to buy the camels at a good price or something like that. They did not close the deal eventhough the price was very good as they wanted a cheaper price. Lesson learnt: when you nickel and dime and dont act, the opportunity may not be there anymore :P

Take care,
Winston

Yes, George Clason wrote the book "The Richest Man in Babylon". The book has affected my thinking on a lot of things.

Most of the time when the opportunity comes, like the camels were at a ridiculous low price as the owner need to rush back to his hometown, we are too "FEARFUL". Most of us will just let it pass. :) I think we just need to know how to conquer our own fear in one way or another.
Guard Thy Treasure from Losses - The Fourth Cure for a Lean Purse - George Clason
learn2win
Coolie

Postby Cheng » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Musicwhiz wrote:MM, I know how to have fun!

Singing in the shower, cycling and watching movies is my idea of leisure. Sometimes I dance a little jig while blasting disco music at home.

Yeah I know I lack the "disco" atmosphere and the quintessential "Mirrorball", but heck it's much cheaper and less crowded than going to a real disco! :lol:

:lol: MW very hip at home! Next time can dance with daughter. :P
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Interview with Members