Interview with Peter

Interview with Peter

Postby winston » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:14 am

This week, we are very please to introduce Peter ...

InvestIdeas: What can you tell us about your background ?

I have a technical degree and am working in the Electronics industry. I come from a family of three

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

Around 25 years but more seriously, only during the last 15 years or so

InvestIdeas: What is your Investment Strategy ?

No particular strategy, sort of trial and error at the start, paying tuition fees along the way, fine tune and improve along the way.

I'm using a method of multiple crop farming. The idea is to select a crop (can be a stock or a property) where there is weakness or opportunity, good potential for upside, cultivate it, and wait for fruits to ripen for harvesting.

Just like a farmer, it is important that the land is cultivated as much as possible, as there will be no harvest if the land is not planted.

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading/investing?

I do not read much due to limited time. The famous Peter Lynch book is one of the better ones that I have read.

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

I trade stocks on the STI, HK, DOW , NASDAQ and KLSE.

I started with stocks and have encountered some good investments and some bad ones along the way.

Bad ones especially with share certificates those days, are useless wall paper now.

Decided to diversify into property due to its relative safety of value protection, as long as it's not purchased during an imminent bubble.

Each has its own pros and cons, stocks has advantage of liquidity over property. Property has the advantage of leverage, 20% down and 80% morgage. These vehicles are passive income presently but I intend to make them into regular income streams during retirement.

InvestIdeas: What has been your best investment so far?

Multi baggers in Citicorp, Ho Bee, Oceanus, STATS

InvestIdeas: What has been your worst investment?

Big losses in stocks like Rickmers and MFS

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

Do your homework, have a good understanding of the investment, be prepared to cut loss and do not over stretch.

InvestIdeas: Are there any other non-investment related books that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

Not really

InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

I have a lovely wife and daughter

InvestIdeas: What are some of your favourite investment topics in the forum ?

The various discussion on STI and HK stocks
Winton's Investment Ideas http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=170

InvestIdeas: What are some of your other interests ?

I like to play tennis and watch soccer and other sports
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with Peter

Postby millionairemind » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:19 am

Peter,

Thanks for sharing. We hope to learn more from you in the coming days. :D

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Cheng » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Peter,

I hope to to learn more from you on properties too. Next time will need to get an investment property. :)

Regards,
Cheng :D
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Postby Aspellian » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing! You have a wealth of experience indeed. :lol:

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Return to Interview with Members