Interview with Chiron

Interview with Chiron

Postby winston » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:24 am

This week, we are very please to introduce Chiron ...

Investideas: You have a very special nick. Why are you using this nick and what does it mean ?

The nick, Chiron, is a Greek Mythological character. No special reason behind my choice of this nick.

Investideas: What can you tell us about your background ?

Engineering graduate from NTU. Currently working in the semiconductor industry,

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

My trading career started after I got my first job. Been a decade, time flies! Certainly time and tide waits for no man.

InvestIdeas: What is your Investment Strategy ?

When I first started out, being a greenhorn, I relied on tips from friends, broker. At that time, IPO market was also red hot due to the crazy NASDAQ run up in 1999 - 2000.

After that I moved to use FA to guide me through the market. However, after the recent severe bear market, I picked up TA to supplement my FA. Right now I use FA to screen out the good counters and TA to determine my entry/exit points.

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading/investing?

I am a big fan of Warren Buffet, so in my early trading career, most of the books that I read are with regards to him. Other books that I have gone through are J. O'Neil "How to make money in stocks, CANSLIM" which is recommended by some of the forum members, "Rich Dad Poor Dad" etc.

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

Until the recent bear market, all of my funds used to be in Singapore equity market. Currently I have allocated some of it to US market, and into US ETF as well. No plan to move into FX, options, and bonds in the near future.

InvestIdeas: What has been your best investment so far?

S-counters during the last bull run.

InvestIdeas: What has been your worst investment?

Bank of America. After I picked up TA, I remained a skeptic of TA (after being a FA follower) until the BAC loss, which transformed me to be a firm believer of TA.

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

Personally, most important aspect of a successful trader is self-discipline. Soft skills like FA, TA can be learned from books, but in order to apply them successfully, one must muster the psychological aspect of a successful trader.

InvestIdeas: Are there any other non-investment related books that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

I'm a fan of Tim Harford's "The Undercover Economist" and books that emphasis on cultivating a creative mind.

InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

I'm married. My wife is also in the semiconductor industry. No kids yet.

InvestIdeas: What are some of your favourite investment topics in the forum ?

I'm a big follower of the thread "US - Market Direction & Strategy".
http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2635

InvestIdeas: What are some of your other interests ?

Sleeping, playing soccer and day dreaming to retire by 40
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with Chiron

Postby iam802 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 am

winston wrote:InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

Personally, most important aspect of a successful trader is self-discipline. Soft skills like FA, TA can be learned from books, but in order to apply them successfully, one must muster the psychological aspect of a successful trader.

Thanks Chiron for highlighting this.

I have to agree and highlight this important point as well.

Looking through my trades logs, every single major loss I made is due to lack of self-discipline.

Nothing more than that.

eg.
- cut-loss
- forget to set stop-loss
- not taking profit at target price
- entering when the signals are not aligned (trying to front-run the frontrunners!)
- position sizing
- etc
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:50 am

Chiron,

Thanks for the interview. I am glad that you have picked up both TA and FA. They are complementary.

If you like Tim Hartford's kind of books, try out Freakconomics and SUPERFREAKCONOMICS. It might just blow your mind :D

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Chiron, nice interview :)

I'll look for your discussion on the relevant ETF/s you are into

thanks for sharing
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby lithium » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Chiron, we have very similar backgrounds and approach to investing............ ;)
"Play Great Defence, not Great Offence "
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Chiron » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanxs for all your kind replies. Certainly at times being a trader/investor, facing the computer alone in the middle of the night, crunching data, can be real lonely. Always look forward to discuss with pple sharing the same passion.

Lately too caught up with my full time work. Too much orders in the semicon industry. Based on past experience, full business orders should not last beyond the Q2.

cheers
Chiron
Coolie

Postby lithium » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:17 pm

hi chiron, does the production volume affect your investing/trading? Do you use it as an indicator and how accurate is it? :D
"Play Great Defence, not Great Offence "
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Chiron » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:47 pm

lithium wrote:hi chiron, does the production volume affect your investing/trading? Do you use it as an indicator and how accurate is it? :D

High volume orders means I will need to stay back late for work more often than I will like, and it reduces my mental capacity and energy for my part time investment/trading job at night, since only after work do I have more time to go through all the reports :lol:
Chiron
Coolie

Postby Musicwhiz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks Chiron for the interview! Admire you guys who can combine TA and FA successfully and make money out of it consistently.

For me, I will just focus on polishing up my FA. :D
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Return to Interview with Members