Interview with TinPeng

Interview with TinPeng

Postby winston » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:05 am

This week, we are very please to introduce tinpeng ..

Investideas: You have a very special nick. Why are you using this nick and what does it mean?

My nick is my dialect name. No special meaning.

InvestIdeas: What can you tell us about your educational background and the industry you are in ?

Bachelor of Business in Accountancy, CPA Australia. Currently a Mobile Remisier.

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

I've been investing since I was 21 years old. Vacation temporary job at a securities firm in the 1990s.

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

I utilise Cash, Margin, CPF and SRS to buy a wide range of stocks, ETFs, ETNs, Unit Trusts and Warrants. I am using Poems to transact.

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading/investing?

Currently I've no particular favorite books on trading and investing. But I am currently a fan of Warren Buffet, Jim Rogers, Mark Mobius and for Technical Analysis, I am using Chart Nexus End of Day Charts and Xpert Trader.

InvestIdeas: What has been your best investment so far?

My best investment is my own personal development. I will keep reading and learning and buying books and magazines to improve my skills and knowledge in the areas of Investments, Economics, Finance, Technical Analysis, International Trade, etc.

InvestIdeas: What has been your worst investment?

My worst investment is when my trading positions become investment positions, I was not willing cut loss. Listening to stupid rumours and not doing any due diligence also caused me unnecessary losses.

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ?

For newbies out there, be humble and learn. Not to get carred away. Always do your due diligence. Don't be afraid to ask. Its ok to make mistakes. Failure is the beginning of success. Always see things from a broad perspective and focus on long term.

InvestIdeas: Are there any other non-investment related books that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

I am currently reading books and magazines on how successful entrepreneurs and achievers live their lives, how they manage their time with their families and what is their outlook on life. I am still trying to learn from them.

InvestIdeas: Are you able to tell us a bit about your family ?

I have an elder brother and sister.

InvestIdeas: What are some of your other interests?

I am doing yoga and mediatation to distress myself.

There is this saying 'If you are not good in chasing after money, then its better to invest and work hard and let the money chase after you.'

Recently, I've started reading 'Success' magazine. The content is about how Succesful Achievers live, work and play.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with TinPeng

Postby millionairemind » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:22 am

TinPeng - Tks for sharing. Appreciate it :D

We look forward to more of your postings ;)
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi tinpeng,

Just curious.

What indicators do you use for TA?

And given that you do FA-and-TA, which one takes precedence when a trade goes against you?

Will it be FA? Or will it be based on TA? Or do you use a 'percentage' as an exit strategy?

Thanks
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:35 pm

tp,

just to say thanks for those daily analysts reports... wish you every success in 2010 !!!
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm

If any of you are interested in receiving additional brokerage reports and charts on Singapore stocks, tinpeng can put you on his mailing list.

You can email him at [email protected]
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby tinpeng » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm

to Iam802,

I am using stocastics and bolinger bands. I will try to buy on oversold positions. I will do FA before TA. I normally use the top-down approach to save time.

I am weak in TA. That is why i pay more than 2k for a TA course recently. I am still trying to improve. The course teach me how to cut loss. They explain to me the rationale for cutting loss at a certain point.
I think it is important to understand the rationale and open up our eyes. Don't trade blindly and cut loss blindly.

Their secret in cutting loss is to cut at 4% below the immediate support. Reason is to avoid whipsaw. Daily movements in STI is around 3%.

If u want to know more, join chart nexus. They are a passionate bunch of people who are crazy over TA. But before u join, please call me... I will help u to get a discount.

Regards
tinpeng
Loafer

Postby kennynah » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

tinpeng wrote:I am weak in TA. That is why i pay more than 2k for a TA course recently. I am still trying to improve. The course teach me how to cut loss. They explain to me the rationale for cutting loss at a certain point.

TP :
alamak.... you offer S$1K here, many will be happy to "train" you in TA..... 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Return to Interview with Members