Interview with Dol

Interview with Dol

Postby winston » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:41 am

This week, we are very please to introduce Dol ..

Investideas: You have a very special nick. Why are you using this nick and what does it mean ?

dol - disciple of Larry Livingston

That was when I was just getting acquainted with Jesse Livermore.

It might not be a relevant nick these days but I will just retain it for now.

May be dol can be short for "dollars" - which I never seem to get enough of . Better than being on the dole anytime.

Investideas: What can you tell us about your background ?

My basic training is in Accountancy. Currently, in a finance position at a private investment set-up.

InvestIdeas: How long have you been investing / trading ?

I have been involved in the markets for about 13 years.

InvestIdeas: What are your investment vehicles ?

Mainly HK & Singapore Stocks and Cash. I include Cash because there are enough times when it is one of the best options to consider.

Would have like to consider the US market but for the different time zone. (Hats off to kennynah and those on the graveyard shift).

InvestIdeas: What has been your best investment so far?

There has been no single best investment, yet. I am thankful for many little good investments.

Many good investments are also made in the time spent learning from the books, people and the market.

InvestIdeas: What has been your worst investment?

There have been many investments that did not turn out well despite my great hopes for them but thankfully none that were disastrous. I always limit my losses - the foundation of a great offence starts with great defence.

InvestIdeas: What advice do you have for a young/newbie who is just starting out ? ( in both Investment and on his life's journey ? )

I will always be a student of the markets because I still get humbled by the losses that I have to accept from time to time. It is perhaps good to not take investment and life too seriously sometimes - and the result could be better than expected.

InvestIdeas: What are your favorite books on trading/investing?

There are quite a few but I particularly enjoy "Reminiscences of a stock operator" and "The Zurich Axioms".

Warren Buffett and value investing seems to be a favourite of many. I suggest taking a look at "The battle for investment survival" by Gerald Loeb and "Trade like Warren Buffett" by James Altucher".

It's probably good to keep an open mind - in investment, as in life.

A book worthy of a read only need one single great idea - too many have a lot of ideas that do not amount to much.

InvestIdeas: Are there any other non-investment related books that may have influenced your outlook on life ?

Admittedly, life is not something I spend a lot of time pondering. My requirements for life should be simple and stress-free.

I have read quite a bit and they probably influence me in a collective sense but none that have been profound enough to dominate. My outlook on life is a gradual and evolving process - rather than a 'eureka' moment.

InvestIdeas: What are some of your favourite topics in the forum?

1) US Market Direction: http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=200
2) HK & China Market Direction: http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 8&start=50
3) STI Market Direction: http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=230
4) Winston's Investment Ideas: http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120
5) Interview with Members: http://investideas.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=73
6) Richard Russell: http://investideas.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=80

Dol's other interests:-

They change all the time. Currently, it's most kind of sports, fashion, interior and industrial design. Constant favourites are soccer, athletics and "all things that are beautiful".
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Interview with Dol

Postby kennynah » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:54 am

thanks for sharing and opening up to us.... i see that you are also a student of the "old" school, student of livingston..

i feel like i know you a little better...

perhaps, only here at investideas.net, do we have such "interviews" where forummers are a little more acquainted with each other
Last edited by kennynah on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:56 am

dol bro - Tks for sharing :D

We should meet up for another cuppa after this holiday season :)
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby helios » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:57 am

dol ge is a minimalist guy ...

hope he joins us for the upcoming gathering ...

:roll: :roll: :roll:
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby -dol- » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:15 am

Hi k, MM, San-mei

Thanks for the reception :)

Merry Christmas!
It's not the bottom if you are not crying.

Disclaimer: This is not investment advice! Please do your own research and due diligence.
-dol-
Foreman

Postby winston » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi Dol,

Thanks for the kind sharing.

I went thru the interview again and realized that I have not asked about your Investment Strategy.

Can you tell us a bit about your Investment Strategy ?

Thanks and take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby -dol- » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi winston,

My general investment strategy depends on the state of the market. A healthy market begets more commitment of time/resources from me. An unhealthy one will be the signal for me to take a break and allocate more time/resources to my other interests.
It's not the bottom if you are not crying.

Disclaimer: This is not investment advice! Please do your own research and due diligence.
-dol-
Foreman

Postby winston » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks Dol. Very wize words indeed. I'm starting to do the same as well. Take care, W
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:23 am

San San wrote:dol ge is a minimalist guy ...

What do you mean by minimalist ?

Someone who used few words to explain something, unlike those experts who used 3 pages to explain something that can be done in 1 sentence ?
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby iam802 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:53 am

winston wrote:
San San wrote:dol ge is a minimalist guy ...

What do you mean by minimalist ?

Someone who used few words to explain something, unlike those experts who used 3 pages to explain something that can be done in 1 sentence ?

It could be....he is a 'mmmm... orrrrh......ahhhh' guy.

Very minimalist.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Next

Return to Interview with Members