Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Re: Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Postby winston » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 am

What is most important for us to lead life?

Just as a fish can live only when it is immersed in water and feels the element all around it, so too the human is an animal that can live only when immersed in bliss.

One must have bliss not only at home, in society, and in the world but, more than all, in the heart.

As a matter of fact, bliss in the heart produces bliss everywhere. The heart is the spring of joy.

That spring has to be touched by constant meditation, recitation of the Divine’s name and the intermittent dwelling on the glory, the grace, and the inexhaustible manifestations of Him.

Hold fast to the goal; the devotee should never turn back. Never give way to doubt or despair.

A person driving a car concentrates on the road, anxious to save themselves and others from accident. In this case, fear induces single-mindedness.

Love is a greater force that helps concentration. With steady and resolute love, concentration becomes intense and unshakeable.

- Divine Discourse, Nov 23, 1961.

The spiritual path is the path of detachment, of sense control, of rigorous mind training.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am

What is the important direction we must steer our lives towards and Why?

I feel hurt when anyone calls India deficient or poor. It may be that some people are unaware of the methods of becoming rich or may not care to adopt them. But most people know the means of getting inner peace.

You should demonstrate through your lives that spiritual discipline makes one happier and more courageous to fight the battle of life. This is your great good fortune, indeed.

The world is suffering today from too much knowledge; virtue has not increased in proportion to the advances of knowledge. That is the root cause of the misery in human society.

Of the two tyres of the vehicle that humanity is riding, the tyre of Divinity (Brahman) is flat, and it must be filled by pumping the Divine’s Name into it.

You cannot drive very far with a flat tyre. Therefore, join holy association, cultivate good activities, and derive joy therefrom!

- Divine Discourse, Apr 30, 1961.

To experience the proximity of the Divine the easiest path is "namasmarana" (remembering constantly the name of the Divine).

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:03 am

Listening without effort

You are now listening to me; you are not making an effort to pay attention, you are just listening; and if there is truth in what you hear, you will find a remarkable change taking place in you—a change that is not premeditated or wished for, a transformation, a complete revolution in which the truth alone is master and not the creations of your mind.

And if I may suggest it, you should listen in that way to everything—not only to what I am saying, but also to what other people are saying, to the birds, to the whistle of a locomotive, to the noise of the bus going by.

You will find that the more you listen to everything, the greater is the silence, and that silence is then not broken by noise.

It is only when you are resisting something, when you are putting up a barrier between yourself and that to which you do not want to listen—it is only then that there is a struggle.

The Book of Life, January 6, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:44 am

What is the purpose of the Spiritual Organisation?

Food is the medicine for the illness of hunger; water, for thirst; for the disease of Birth-Death-Cycle, the Divine is the medicine.

For the disease of desire, Wisdom is the specific.

For the disease of doubt, despair and hesitation, which are the occupational diseases of spiritual aspirants, the most effective remedy is "doing good to others".

For the major infection of anxiety and restlessness, the course of treatment is spiritual songs singing.

It is to provide these remedies to the sufferers that the organisation has to dedicate itself. The organisations must be such that members find them congenial places to deepen their Spiritual practices, to cultivate their virtues and to overcome their ego, by contact with workers who are free from the least trace of that deadly poison.

If this is achieved, their success is certain.

- Divine Discourse, Apr 21, 1967.

Just as fire is needed until rice is cooked, spiritual practices are essential until you realize your innate divinity.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 am

We must die to all our emotions

What do we mean by emotion? Is it a sensation, a reaction, a response of the senses?

Hate, devotion, the feeling of love or sympathy for another—they are all emotions. Some, like love and sympathy, we call positive, while others, like hate, we call negative and want to get rid of. Is love the opposite of hate?

And is love an emotion, a sensation, a feeling that is stretched out through memory?

... So, what do we mean by love? Surely, love is not memory. That is very difficult for us to understand because for most of us, love is memory.

When you say that you love your wife or your husband, what do you mean by that? Do you love that which gives you pleasure? Do you love that with which you have identified yourself and which you recognize as belonging to you? Please, these are facts; I am not inventing anything, so don’t look horrified.

... It is the image, the symbol of “my wife” or “my husband” that we love, or think we love, not the living individual. I don’t know my wife or my husband at all; and I can never know that person as long as knowing means recognition.

For recognition is based on memory—memory of pleasure and pain, memory of the things I have lived for, agonized over, the things I possess and to which I am attached.

How can I love when there is fear, sorrow, loneliness, the shadow of despair? How can an ambitious man love? And we are all very ambitious, however honorably.

So, really to find out what love is, we must die to the past, to all our emotions, the good and the bad—die effortlessly, as we would to a poisonous thing because we understand it.

The Book of Life, May 6, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am

At times we experience the high and low of our moods – Why does it happen? How can we be balanced and steady?

Why must you compete and quarrel? One of you may be working in an office, another in a shop, third in the press – how does it matter?

Do not feel that your role is low and another person's high. Do not be depressed when you find your role is minor; do not be proud when you discover that your role is a major one.

Give your best to whatever role is allotted to you. Engage in spiritual practices with devotion, discipline and a sense of duty. That is the way to earn Grace.

Why should you be as intensely fascinated by materialistic desires? When will you strive to gain the eternal, infinite, and universal?

One day, you must give up the body you have fed and fostered. How long can you keep all that you have earned and possessed with pride?

Trivial thoughts and desires award only sorrow; holy thoughts and desires award divine peace. Cultivate good and beneficial feelings and desires.

- Divine Discourse, May 1981.

A true human being is one who has the noble qualities of adherence to truth, duty, devotion and discipline.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:59 am

Listening brings freedom

When you make an effort to listen, are you listening? Is not that very effort a distraction that prevents listening? Do you make an effort when you listen to something that gives you delight?...

You are not aware of the truth, nor do you see the false as the false, as long as your mind is occupied in any way with effort, with comparison, with justification or condemnation...

Listening itself is a complete act; the very act of listening brings its own freedom. But are you really concerned with listening, or with altering the turmoil within?

If you would listen, sir, in the sense of being aware of your conflicts and contradictions without forcing them into any particular pattern of thought, perhaps they might altogether cease.

You see, we are constantly trying to be this or that, to achieve a particular state, to capture one kind of experience and avoid another, so the mind is everlastingly occupied with something; it is never still to listen to the noise of its own struggles and pains.

Be simple ... and don’t try to become something or to capture some experience.

The Book of Life, January 5, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Mother & son in the Philippines melt hearts playing on makeshift bedding beside traffic road
https://mothership.sg/2019/04/mother-so ... ffic-road/
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am

What should we do to let love grow deeper within us?

The prompting inside an individual, to love one’s mother is an expression of the Divine Nature in that person. If there was no spark of the Divine in the person, they would not have loved at all.

A person who loves another individual is a theist, whether they go to a temple or church, or not. You proceed from the known to the unknown. Then that love expands in ever widening circles, until it covers all nature!

In its pure form, even plucking a leaf from a tree may affect you that you will think twice! The green vitality of the tree is a sign of the Divine Will, which sends its roots deep into the soil. The roots keep the tree safe from storms, holding it fast against the violent tug of the wind.

So too, if the roots of love in an individual goes down into the spring of the Divine in them, no storm of suffering can shake them.

- Divine Discourse, May 24, 1967.

Love will never bend before the forces of envy or hatred, however powerful they may be.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 am

The quality of desire

What happens if you do not condemn desire, do not judge it as being good or bad, but simply be aware of it?

I wonder if you know what it means to be aware of something? Most of us are not aware because we have become so accustomed to condemning, judging, evaluating, identifying, choosing.

Choice obviously prevents awareness because choice is always made as a result of conflict. To be aware when you enter a room, to see all the furniture, the carpet or its absence, and so on—just to see it, to be aware of it all without any sense of judgment—is very difficult.

Have you ever tried to look at a person, a flower, at an idea, an emotion, without any choice, any judgment?

And if one does the same thing with desire, if one lives with it—not denying it or saying, “What shall I do with this desire? It is so ugly, so rampant, so violent,” not giving it a name, a symbol, not covering it with a word—then, is it any longer the cause of turmoil?

Is desire then something to be put away, destroyed? We want to destroy it because one desire tears against another creating conflict, misery and contradiction; and one can see how one tries to escape from this everlasting conflict.

So can one be aware of the totality of desire? What I mean by totality is not just one desire or many desires, but the total quality of desire itself.

The Book of Life, April 4, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives