Life 31 (Oct 18 - Jan 19)

Re: Life 31 (Oct 18 - Feb 19)

Postby winston » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:42 am

Can a human being change?

One must have asked oneself, I’m quite sure, whether one changes at all. I know that outward circumstances change; we marry, divorce, have children; there is death, a better job, the pressure of new inventions, and so on.

Outwardly there is a tremendous revolution going on in cybernetics and automation. One must have asked oneself whether it is at all possible for one to change at all, not in relation to outward events, not a change that is a mere repetition or a modified continuity, but a radical revolution, a total mutation of the mind.

When one realizes, as one must have noticed within oneself, that actually one doesn’t change, one gets terribly depressed, or one escapes from oneself. So the inevitable question arises, can there be change at all?

We go back to a period when we were young, and that comes back to us again. Is there change at all in human beings? Have you changed at all? Perhaps there has been a modification on the periphery. But deeply, radically, have you changed? Perhaps we do not want to change, because we are fairly comfortable...

I want to change. I see that I am terribly unhappy, depressed, ugly, violent, with an occasional flash of something other than the mere result of a motive; and I exercise my will to do something about it.

I say I must be different, I must drop this habit, that habit; I must think differently; I must act in a different way; I must be more this and less that.

One makes a tremendous effort and at the end of it one is still shoddy, depressed, ugly, brutal, without any sense of quality. So one then asks oneself if there is change at all. Can a human being change?

The Book of Life, October 29, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 am

There is only one fact: impermanence

We are trying to find out if there is, or is not, a permanent state—not what we would like, but the actual fact, the truth of the matter.

Everything about us, within as well as without—our relationships, our thoughts, our feelings—is impermanent, in a constant state of flux.

Being aware of this, the mind craves permanency, a perpetual state of peace, of love, of goodness, a security that neither time nor events can destroy; therefore it creates the soul, the Atman, and the visions of a permanent paradise.

But this permanency is born of impermanency, and so it has within it the seeds of the impermanent. There is only one fact: impermanence.

The Book of Life, August 10, Harper San Francisco, 1995

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 am

What should we do to experience the Divine, today and every day in the New Year?

Whether you see the Divine or not, He is omnipresent; He is in the past, the present, and the future!

The Divine is and can be, only one, not many! "There is only One God and He is Omnipresent! There is only one religion, the Religion of Love. There is only one language, the Language of the Heart."

This Divine must be visualized through constant spiritual discipline. Do not involve yourself in doubt and hesitation.

If only you observe spiritual discipline and purify your consciousness, you will see Him installed in your heart.

There is sugar in the cup, but the water is insipid, for you have not stirred it well. There is the Divine in the world and by stirring the Divine well into every drop or atom thereof, you can make your world very sweet to live by.

Intelligence is the spoon; Spiritual Practice is the process of stirring.

Saturate every moment of your life with the Divine; your daily life will taste sweeter!

- Divine Discourse, Dec 25, 1970.

Life is a challenge, meet it;
Life is a dream, realise it;
Life is a game, play it;
Life is love, enjoy it.

Source: radiosai.org
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 am

How should we perform our duties to earn as reward, happiness, peace and contentment?

The industrial, agricultural, mercantile, political and administrative - these are like the five vital airs that sustain our activities. These must work in unison, prompted by love and mutual respect. Then alone can the community have peace, security and happiness.

This cooperation is unfortunately not visible at the present time. Factional interests, on the other hand, are predominant and the competitive struggle is on in all fields.

Excitement blinds reasoning. Passion, violence and cruelty, create more problems without solving any. These are now flooding as a deluge.

Individuals with no training and no sincere yearning to bear responsibility and discharge the obligations of office are raised to positions of authority.

Ability, willingness to discharge duties and to bear burdens - these alone entitle one to hold authority over others.

The power that office confers must be handled with gratefulness and reverence. If this is remembered and practised by every worker and officer, their work will give happiness, contentment and peace, both to themselves and to the society of which they are a limb.

- Divine Discourse, Jan 1, 1971.

All are One, Be alike to Everyone.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:01 pm

How should we introspect and what resolve should we take?

Under any and all circumstances, let your feelings and actions be pure, noble and ideal. Let all your actions be for the highest good of all.

Your heart is the centre of sacred feelings. It is filled with compassion. It is compassion that gives rise to sacred feelings.

You must develop compassion, spread the light of love and cultivate Divine feelings. Without doing so, how can you expect time to confer happiness on you?

If you expect good results, you must cultivate good feelings. With purity of heart, steadiness of mind and selfless actions, you can become the recipient of Divine grace, which will remove any amount of suffering in a trice.

Hence, always discriminate and undertake such activities which will confer Divine grace, which will in turn, bless you with peace and happiness!

- Divine Discourse, Jan 1, 2001.

Real happiness lies within you.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am

Intensity free of all attachment

In the state of passion without a cause, there is intensity free of all attachment; but when passion has a cause, there is attachment and attachment is the beginning of sorrow.

Most of us are attached; we cling to a person, to a country, to a belief, to an idea, and when the object of our attachment is taken away or otherwise loses its significance, we find ourselves empty, insufficient.

This emptiness we try to fill by clinging to something else, which again becomes the object of our passion.

The Book of Life, March 14, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:17 am

What are the key values we must all possess?

All of you must possess these four important qualities:
1. Peace (Shanti)
2. Truth (Satya)
3. Absence of Egoism (Nirahankara) and
4. Absence of Envy (Anasuya).

Suffusing all the four is the quality of pure love. These qualities cannot be obtained from the market, through studies, from a teacher or as a gift from someone.

You can acquire them only through your own effort. Cultivate and develop these noble qualities from childhood.

Out of fear of punishment by parents or teachers, children indulge in falsehood and avoid speaking the complete truth. This tendency in due course, results in vitiating their entire life by making them lead double lives.

From childhood, children should be taught to speak truth and admit their mistakes. There is nothing wrong in being corrected for misdeeds; these corrections will help them to learn to behave well as adults.

Speaking truth, irrespective of any difficulty that may come, must be imprinted firmly and deeply in young minds and hearts which are pure and untainted.

- Divine Discourse, Dec 30, 1983.

Install truth and righteousness in your heart, your mind will be filled with good thoughts.
Your life will become eminently meaningful and worthy.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 am

Conflict of the opposites

I wonder if there is such a thing as evil? Please give your attention, go with me, let us inquire together.

We say there is good and evil. There is envy and love, and we say that envy is evil and love is good. Why do we divide life, calling this good and that bad, thereby creating the conflict of the opposites? Not that there is not envy, hate, brutality in the human mind and heart, an absence of compassion, love, but why do we divide life into the thing called good and the thing called evil?

Is there not actually only one thing, which is a mind that is inattentive? Surely, when there is complete attention, that is, when the mind is totally aware, alert, watchful, there is no such thing as evil or good; there is only an awakened state.

Goodness then is not a quality, not a virtue, it is a state of love. When there is love, there is neither good nor bad, there is only love.

When you really love somebody, you are not thinking of good or bad, your whole being is filled with that love. It is only when there is the cessation of complete attention, of love, that there comes the conflict between what I am and what I should be. Then that which I am is evil, and that which I should be is the so-called good.

... You watch your own mind and you will see that the moment the mind ceases to think in terms of becoming something, there is a cessation of action which is not stagnation; it is a state of total attention, which is goodness.

The Book of Life, February 22, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:13 am

Discard all methods

How is the religious mind or the new mind to come into being? Will you have a system, a method?

Through a method—a method being a system, a practice, a repetitive thing day after day? Will a method produce a new mind?...

Surely, a method implies, a continuity of a practice, directed along a certain line towards a certain result—which is, to acquire a mechanical habit, and through that mechanical habit to realize a mind which is not mechanical...

When you say, “discipline”, all discipline is based on a method according to a certain pattern; and the pattern promises you a result which is predetermined by a mind which has already a belief, which has already taken a position.

So, will a method, in the widest or the narrowest sense of that word, bring about this new mind? If it does not, then method as habit must go completely, because it is false. ...

Method only conditions the mind according to the result which is desired. You have to discard all the mechanical processes of the mind. ...

The mind must discard all the mechanical processes of thought. So, the idea that a method, a system, a discipline, a continuity of habit will bring about this mind is not true.

So, all that is to be discarded totally as being mechanical. A mind that is mechanical is a traditional mind; it cannot meet life which is non mechanical; so, the method is to be put aside.

The Book of Life, October 18, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am

Authority corrupts both leader and follower

Self-awareness is arduous, and since most of us prefer an easy, illusory way, we bring into being the authority that gives shape and pattern to our life.

This authority may be the collective, the State; or it may be the personal, the Master, the savior, the guru.

Authority of any kind is blinding, it breeds thoughtlessness; and as most of us find that to be thoughtful is to have pain, we give ourselves over to authority.

Authority engenders power, and power always becomes centralized and therefore utterly corrupting; it corrupts not only the wielder of power, but also him who follows it.

The authority of knowledge and experience is perverting, whether it be vested in the Master, his representative or the priest.

It is your own life, this seemingly endless conflict, that is significant, and not the pattern or the leader.

The authority of the Master and the priest takes you away from the central issue, which is the conflict within yourself.

The Book of Life, January 21, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives