Life 31 (Oct 18 - Jan 19)

Re: Life 31 (Oct 18 - Feb 19)

Postby winston » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 am

Virtue has no authority

Can the mind be free from authority, which means free from fear, so that it is no longer capable of following? If so, this puts an end to imitation, which becomes mechanical.

After all, virtue, ethics, is not a repetition of what is good. The moment it becomes mechanical, it ceases to be virtue.

Virtue is something that must be from moment to moment, like humility. Humility cannot be cultivated, and a mind that has no humility is incapable of learning. So virtue has no authority.

The social morality is no morality at all; it’s immoral because it admits competition, greed, ambition, and therefore society is encouraging immorality.

Virtue is something that transcends morality. Without virtue there is no order, and order is not according to a pattern, according to a formula.

A mind that follows a formula through disciplining itself to achieve virtue creates for itself the problems of immorality.

An external authority that the mind objectifies, apart from the law, as God, as moral, and so on, becomes destructive when the mind is seeking to understand what real virtue is.

We have our own authority as experience, as knowledge, which we are trying to follow. There is this constant repetition, imitation, which we all know.

Psychological authority—not the authority of the law, the policeman who keeps order—the psychological authority, which each one has, becomes destructive of virtue because virtue is something that is living, moving.

As you cannot possibly cultivate humility, as you cannot possibly cultivate love, so also virtue cannot be cultivated; and there is great beauty in that.

Virtue is non-mechanical, and without virtue there is no foundation for clear thinking.

The Book of Life, January 16, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:26 am

What is the greatest obstacle to surrender?

The greatest obstacle on the path of surrender is egoism and ‘mine-ness’ or possessiveness.

This is buried in your personality since ages, sending its tentacles deeper and deeper with every succeeding life. It can be removed only by the twin detergents of discrimination and renunciation.

Devotion is the water to wash away this age old dirt, and the repetition of the Divine’s name, meditation, and communion (yoga) are the soap that will make the cleansing more effective and quicker.

The slow and steady aspirants will surely win this race; walking is the safest method of travel, though it may be condemned as slow! Quicker means of travel guarantees disaster; quicker the means, greater the risk of disaster.

You should eat only as much as is needed to satiate your hunger, more will cause disorder. Similarly, proceed step by step in spiritual effort with faith; do not slide back two paces with one pace forward.

- Divine Discourse, Oct 7, 1993.

Ignorance, wavering faith, fickleness, and egoism—these tarnish the Nature of Man;
they rob him of even the tiniest into of peace.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Why do divine incarnations take place?

When people do not place faith in the Self but pursue the senses only, danger signal is lit and the Divine sends a Messenger or comes Himself, if a great big step in reconstruction has to be taken.

The world is building itself up on the sandy foundation of the sensory world. So, Avatars descend.

Like the monkey which could not pull its hand from out of the narrow-necked pot, because it first held in its grasp a handful of groundnuts which the pot contained, people are suffering today, since they are unwilling to release their hold on the handful of pleasurable things they have grasped from the world.

People are led into the wrong belief that the accumulation of material possessions will endow them with joy and calm. But Divine Love alone can give that everlasting joy. Pure Love can remove anger, envy and hatred!

- Divine Discourse, Feb 28, 1964

Pure Love will not submit to the forces of envy or hatred, however powerful they may be.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:29 am

Know the whole content of one thought

Not being anything is the beginning of freedom. So if you are capable of feeling, of going into this you will find, as you become aware, that you are not free, that you are bound to very many different things, and that at the same time the mind hopes to be free. And you can see that the two are contradictory.

So the mind has to investigate why it clings to anything. All this implies hard work. It is much more arduous than going to an office, than any physical labor, than all the sciences put together.

Because the humble, intelligent mind is concerned with itself without being self-centered; therefore it has to be extraordinarily alert, aware, and that means real hard work every day, every hour, every minute. ...

This demands insistent work because freedom does not come easily. Everything impedes—your wife, your husband, your son, your neighbor, your Gods, your religions, your tradition. All these impede you, but you have created them because you want security.

And the mind that is seeking security can never find it. If you have watched a little in the world, you know there is no such thing as security.

The wife dies, the husband dies, the son runs away—something happens. Life is not static, though we would like to make it so. No relationship is static because all life is movement.

That is a thing to be grasped, the truth to be seen, felt, not something to be argued about. Then you will see, as you begin to investigate, that it is really a process of meditation.

But do not be mesmerized by that word. To be aware of every thought, to know from what source it springs and what is its intention — that is meditation. And to know the whole content of one thought reveals the whole process of the mind.

The Book of Life, December 24, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Calvin, 22, is the youngest of 4 S’poreans openly living with HIV. This is what his life is like.
https://mothership.sg/2018/12/openly-ou ... alvin-tan/
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:13 am

Can the crude mind become sensitive?

Listen to the question, to the meaning behind the words. Can the crude mind become sensitive?

If I say my mind is crude and I try to become sensitive, the very effort to become sensitive is crudity. Please see this. Don’t be intrigued, but watch it.

Whereas, if I recognize that I am crude without wanting to change, without trying to become sensitive, if I begin to understand what crudeness is, observe it in my life from day to day—the greedy way I eat, the roughness with which I treat people, the pride, the arrogance, the coarseness of my habits and thoughts—then that very observation transforms what is.

Similarly, if I am stupid and I say I must become intelligent, the effort to become intelligent is only a greater form of stupidity; because what is important is to understand stupidity.

However much I may try to become intelligent, my stupidity will remain. I may acquire the superficial polish of learning, I may be able to quote books, repeat passages from great authors, but basically I shall still be stupid.

But if I see and understand stupidity as it expresses itself in my daily life—how I behave towards my servant, how I regard my neighbor, the poor man, the rich man, the clerk—then that very awareness brings about a breaking up of stupidity.

The Book of Life, February 3, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 am

What is pure love? How can we experience it?

When the mind is turned towards things of the world, it is called Anuraga (affection or attachment) and if it is turned towards the Divine, it is called Prema (Love or devotion).

Love is the fruit of love. Love is comparable only with love. Love can offer only love. Love cannot be described by poetry. It cannot be proved by the mind or the spoken word.

Hence, the Scriptures declared that pure love transcends mind and speech. Love is priceless and indescribably precious. Its sweetness is unexcelled.

Scriptures describe nectar as indescribably sweet. But Love is far sweeter than nectar. Love can be got only through love. Love is a precious diamond which can be got only in the realm of love and nowhere else.

The kingdom of Love is located in a heart filled with love. Love can be experienced only in a mind flowing with love and a heart filled with love.

- Divine Discourse, Sep 2, 1991.

A peaceful mind is an abode of love.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 am

What is pure love? How can we experience it?

When the mind is turned towards things of the world, it is called Anuraga (affection or attachment) and if it is turned towards the Divine, it is called Prema (Love or devotion).

Love is the fruit of love. Love is comparable only with love. Love can offer only love. Love cannot be described by poetry. It cannot be proved by the mind or the spoken word.

Hence, the Scriptures declared that pure love transcends mind and speech. Love is priceless and indescribably precious. Its sweetness is unexcelled.

Scriptures describe nectar as indescribably sweet. But Love is far sweeter than nectar. Love can be got only through love. Love is a precious diamond which can be got only in the realm of love and nowhere else.

The kingdom of Love is located in a heart filled with love. Love can be experienced only in a mind flowing with love and a heart filled with love.

A peaceful mind is an abode of love.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:24 pm

What is thoroughly understood will not repeat itself

In self-awareness, there is no need for confession, for self-awareness creates the mirror in which all things are reflected without distortion.

Every thought-feeling is thrown, as it were, on the screen of awareness to be observed, studied and understood; but this flow of understanding is blocked when there is condemnation or acceptance, judgment or identification.

The more the screen is watched and understood—not as a duty or enforced practice, but because pain and sorrow have created the insatiable interest that brings its own discipline—the greater the intensity of awareness, and this in turn brings heightened understanding.

... You can follow a thing if it moves slowly; a rapid machine must be made to slow down if one is to study its movements. Similarly, thoughts-feelings can be studied and understood only if the mind is capable of proceeding slowly; but once it has awakened this capacity, it can move at a high velocity, which makes it extremely calm.

When revolving at high speed the several blades of a fan appear to be a solid sheet of metal. Our difficulty is to make the mind revolve slowly so that each thought-feeling can be followed and understood. What is deeply and thoroughly understood will not repeat itself.

The Book of Life, June 21, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm

How should we foster and develop pure love?

Everyone has faith in the power of love.

When people ask, "How can we develop our love for the Divine?" The answer is: "There is only one way - to put into practice the love in which you have faith, then that love will grow."
Because you do not practice what you profess, your faith gets weakened.

A plant will grow only when it is watered regularly. When you plant the seed of love, you can make it grow only by watering it with love every day. The tree of love will grow and yield the fruits of love.

Men and women today do not perform those acts which will promote love. When you wish to develop love for the Divine, you must continually practice loving devotion to the Divine.

Devotion should flow from the heart. Much of what passes for devotion nowadays is artificial. Develop pure and sincere devotion, and sanctify your lives.

Where there is confidence there is love, where there is love, there is peace.

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives