Social Cause 01 (Jul 08 - Jul 15)

Re: Social Cause (incl China's Land Grab etc )

Postby winston » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 am

A third of food wasted, costs world economy $750bn: UN

Key areas identified in a new UN food wastage report in terms of waste and environmental impact were the meat industry in North America and Latin America, as well as fruit wastage in Asia, Europe and Latin America.

A new UN on food wastage points the finger at Asia in particular, saying that over 100 kilos (221 pounds) in vegetables per capita are wasted every year on average in "Industrialised Asia", a region including China, Japan and South Korea.

AFP - One third of the food produced worldwide is wasted, costing the global economy around $750 billion (570 billion euros) a year, a new report by the UN food agency said Wednesday.

The Rome-based Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said some 1.3 billion tonnes of food are wasted every year, with the Asia region including China seen as the worst culprit.

The food agency's director general, Jose Graziano da Silva, told a press conference that in total, "one third of the food produced today is lost or wasted... equivalent to the Gross Domestic Production (GDP) of Switzerland."

http://www.france24.com/en/20130911-thi ... y-750bn-un
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:22 am

Tackle the problem on a small scale

In a world of vast organizations, vast mobilizations of people, mass movements, we are afraid to act on a small scale; we are afraid to be little people clearing up our own patch.

We say to ourselves, “What can I personally do? I must join a mass movement in order to reform.” On the contrary, real revolution takes place not through mass movement but through the inward revolution of relationship—that alone is real reformation, a radical, continuous revolution.

We are afraid to begin on a small scale. Because the problem is so vast, we think we must meet it with large numbers of people, with a great organization, with mass movements.

Surely, we must begin to tackle the problem on a small scale, and the small scale in the “me” and the “you”.

When I understand myself, I understand you, and out of that understanding comes love.

- Krishnamurti, The Collected Works vol V p 96

Source: www.jkrishnamurti.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 am

"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."

-- Franklin Roosevelt, 32nd U.S. president
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 pm

There is a big mix out there, and there's lots of different things going on, and there is not one way that was intended to be the right way.

Just like there's not one color or one flower or one vegetable or one fingerprint. There is not one that is to be the right one over all others.

The variety is what fosters the creativity. And so you say, "Okay, I accept that there's lots of variety, but I don't like to eat cucumbers." Don't eat cucumbers. But don't ask them to be eliminated and don't condemn those who eat them.

Don't stand on corners waving signs trying to outlaw the things that you don't like. Don't ruin your life by pushing against. Instead, say, "I choose this instead. This does please me.

---Abraham

Excerpted from the workshop in Rye, NY on October 12, 1997

Source: www.abraham-hicks.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Cops Kill 8 Times More Americans Than Terrorists Do by Dave Hodges

Many people have noticed that several of the local police officers, particularly the younger ones are more gruff, rude and even abusive as compared to the past.

Many veteran officers attribute the shift towards DHS’ training of local police which focuses on teaching the police that the public is their enemy as opposed to the traditional view that teaches that the local population and the police are partners in keeping the community safe.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/11/cop ... -than.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 am

"We must become the change we wish to see in the world."

-- Mahatma Gandhi
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:34 am

"it is time to get back to basics: to self-discipline and respect for the law, to consideration for others, to accepting responsibility for yourself and your family, and not shuffling it off on the state."

-- John Major, Former British Prime Minister
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 pm

The 6,000-Page Report on CIA Torture Has Now Been Suppressed for 1 Year

It cost $40 million to produce, documents serious wrongdoing, and doesn't threaten national security. Team Obama won't release it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ar/282318/
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:20 am

"Every two minutes, a child enters foster care in the U.S.,"
winston
Billionaire Boss

China - Economic Data & News 11 (Mar 15 - Dec 15)

Postby behappyalways » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:11 pm

China carries out crackdown on lawyers and activists
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/c ... 29794.html
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives