Charity & Volunteering 01 (Jun 08 - Mar 11)

Re: Charity & Volunteering

Postby kennynah » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:50 pm

it's just that when i think of giving to charity, i associate that act with providing for the needy or a good course. i hardly think that the lesser fortunate would be too concern about missing a holiday over more pressing needs. but you caught me off guard here and i should need to reflect more on this issue about whether i am being too judgemental.
you are a good man... !!!
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:11 pm

On the subject of donating frequent flyer points..

For Asia Miles, you can donate your frequent flyer points to :-

1) C.A.R.E. Housing Society is a charity that supports senior citizens with social and emotional needs. It also strives to reunite family members separated by financial difficulty especially during times of disaster and crisis, when re-uniting family can provide substantial support to those affected.
www.caresociety.com

2) ORBIS is a non-aligned, non-profit, global development organization. Their mission is to preserve and restore sight by assisting local partners in their efforts to prevent and treat blindness.
www.orbis.org.hk

3) Established in 1976, Oxfam Hong Kong is an independent development and relief agency. It works with the poor, regardless of race, sex, religion or politics in their struggle against poverty, distress and suffering.
www.oxfam.org.hk

4) As part of the International Red Cross Movement, the Hong Kong Red Cross is dedicated to protect human life, care for the health of the vulnerable and respect human dignity by mobilizing people to serve voluntarily for the cause of humanity.
www.redcross.org.hk

5) UNICEF saves and improves the lives of children in developing countries. The goal is to overcome the problems of poverty, AIDS/HIV, armed conflict, discrimination, and to provide immunisation to protect children against preventable diseases.
www.unicef.org.hk

6) FLY greener is a pioneering programme initiated by Cathay Pacific and Dragonair that allows you to reduce your carbon footprint by contributing Asia Miles to fund carbon-reduction projects.
www.cathaypacific.com/flygreener

I'm sure SIA has their own program and so does your Mobile Phone company or your Credit Card company or the points from the Hotels and Gas Stations ....

No need for more gadgets ...
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:27 am

Some Singaporeans celebrate Christmas with a difference

Channel NewsAsia - Friday, December 26SINGAPOREANS: While many in multi—faith Singapore are celebrating Christmas under the bright lights with good food and wine, some are celebrating it differently.

Ang Kim Huat is spending Christmas in Little India, providing meals for the homeless and unemployed migrants.

Said Mr Ang: "For these Bangladeshis who have been out of a job and who are hungry, there are people who said we should do something for them to be in a festive mood. Christmas is supposed to be about giving, that’s why we are here today. Sometimes you look into their pockets, there’s really nothing in them. And the food that we give, we have to really specially package it because they need a lot of rice and we try to give them a lot of rice.”

Mr Ang and his charity group will be providing meals for these men for the next few weeks.

Xavier Chung is another Singaporean who’s celebrating Christmas differently. He is a novice friar in the midst of his eight—year training.

As part of the Catholic religious order which embraces voluntary poverty, he spends his Christmas in prayer and reflection.
But being an active man in his twenties, this is sometimes hard.

He said: "For me it is sad that I’m not able to celebrate with them especially in parties, dinners, especially attending mass with them. But I spend time pondering the meaning rather than previously rushing off to get presents and meeting friends."
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Stoves help keep Darfur's women out of harm's way

Firewood is scarce in Darfur, forcing women to roam for hours in search of tinder
Women often raped and murdered when they leave refugee camps to look for wood
Maryland teen Spencer Brodsky is raising money to buy fuel-efficient stoves
With help of CHF International, Brodsky has sent 420 stoves to Darfur

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In Sudan's Darfur region, where violence and genocide are rampant, women risk their lives every day performing tasks as seemingly mundane as seeking out firewood.

The $30 stoves help keep Darfur's women safe by reducing their time away from the refugee camps.

1 of 2 But, from his suburban home, one Maryland teen has dedicated himself to making life a little safer for those women.

The United Nations estimates that 300,000 people have been slaughtered in the ongoing violence in the north African country. Countless others have been forced out of their homes and are living in refugee camps.

People living in the camps are relatively safe, but there is danger for the women and young girls who leave the compounds in search of firewood to cook meals. Firewood in the desert is scarce, and the women often have to walk up to seven hours to gather enough wood to bring back to their camps. Some women have been targeted, sexually assaulted and killed.

Spencer Brodsky, 17, learned about the violence and decided to raise money to purchase fuel-efficient stoves to send to Darfur. The stoves burn 75 percent less firewood.

Brodsky reasons that if he can do something to keep Sudanese women in the camps, this would decrease the likelihood of violence.

"We need to be able to benefit them in any way that we can so they don't have to be out as many times of their compound," he said. Watch Brodsky discuss the project »

Brodsky, who is Jewish, said his elders have compared the genocide in Darfur to the Holocaust. He believes that his peers should not stand for such injustice in their lifetime.

"They always taught about what was happening in that region in that the social injustice that's happening. And how you know how people said during the Holocaust during World War II -- you know this can never happen again."

At $30 per stove, Brodsky has raised enough money to ship 420 stoves to Darfur.

The project is a joint effort between Brodsky and CHF International, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the economic conditions of people in some of the most troubled regions of the world.

Naila Mohamed, leader of the stoves project at CHF International, has witnessed the reaction of Sudanese women when they receive the stoves.

"These women are so grateful for this initiative and actually thankful to the American people who are so passionate to let these women know that there is help out there," Mohamed said.

Together, Brodsky and CHF International want to continue raising awareness around the world of the plight of the Sudanese.

No matter how old you are, you can make a difference by buying a stove, Brodsky said.

"The power of one. The power of change and that we can make a difference. Even though I may be only 17 and a teenager, I can make a difference."
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Quake fund-raiser headed for Obama inauguration

A high school student who raised money for survivors of the May 12 Sichuan earthquake by selling cookies and her own watercolor paintings will attend next month's inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama.

Li Zizi, 16, is making the trip at the invitation of a US-based nonprofit organization.

Li's family is from Sichuan, but she was born and raised in Japan and living there when the quake hit.

She moved in August to Sichuan.

Li also sponsors two children, whose parents were forced to find work far away in order to earn money to rebuild their homes.

Li feels a kinship with Obama, whom she called a ''miracle'' and ''the perfect thing at the perfect moment for America.''

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:22 am

Log on to make resolutions to help others in 2009

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Instead of making vows to lose weight, save money or get fit, a U.S. charity is challenging people to log on to the Internet to make New Year resolutions to help others.

And people are taking the bait.

Dozens have signed on since Families First, a non-profit family services agency in Georgia, launched its site www.iam-thesolution.org this week.

"It really started by raising a question of what would happen if people made a resolution, in addition to ones for their own lives, to help the lives of others," said Pat Showell, president of Families First.

"Whether people are committed to our kind of (family) issues or other issues, it ultimately benefits the community," she added.

Keith Brooking, a linebacker with the Atlanta Falcons football team, signed on with a promise that his family foundation will give a thousand pairs of athletic shoes to foster children in his home state of Georgia.

"My mother kept foster children, and I saw the impact that she made," said Brooking, of what motivated his pledge. "It was near and dear to me."

That may only be just the first step. Brooking said he and his wife, the parents of two toddlers, have discussed fostering or even adopting when their own children are older.

Other members of the new site have signed up to help feed the homeless, promising to donate produce from a vegetable patch, while another wants to establish a training center where youths can hopefully translate game skills from playing chess into life skills. Another started knitting to be able to make baby blankets.

While many people start the year with good intentions but fail to follow them, the new site tries to make sure people keep their resolutions for others.

The site allows people to create a profile, set deadlines, track their progress and contact others with similar resolutions, according to Families First.

Resolutions "whether small or large, when you combine those the impact can be tremendous," Showell said.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:22 am

I have been asked why I'm spending so much of my time and energy on this forum. This is a non-profit forum and we all do not get receive any monetary rewards eg. membership dues etc..

And what about the Google Ads ? The Google ads could hardly cover grandrake's cost of hosting the forum.

My answer is very simple:-
1) I believe that when I give, I also receive
2) I have also learned a lot from the other forummers here
3) Although I would like to spend more of my time on charitable work, at this point in time, things are also not right for me to do so.
4) Therefore, sharing any knowledge and information thru this forum, is the right thing for me to do, at this point in time.
5) This is my way of making the world a better place at this point in time.

If you have benefitted monetary or otherwise, from any of information or knowledge in this forum, I would appreciate if you would:-
1) donate some of your proceeds to your favourite charitable organization
2) donate some of your time and energy to also make the world around you a better place

Happy 2009 and may you all be always Healthy, Wealthy, Happy & Lucky !
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:33 am

W :

thanks..I have indeed benefited from your generosity over the many months... please continue to do your charity work here...highly appreciated... i will try to reciprocate with some meaningful infor as well....but mostly, you know lah.... i crap here...hahaha...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:13 pm

K, I've learned a lot from your posts as well, especially your posts in the "US Market Direction" thread..

=======================================================

I stumbled upon the following website this morning:-

http://changingthepresent.org/

The concept looks very appealing ...
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 am

i am always very skeptical about such online "charity" organization.... we are not short of them in our own country and we know better the state of affairs (including nkf fiasco)....and why not just work with these than these internet charity orgs.

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

PreviousNext

Return to Archives