Charity & Volunteering 02 (Mar 11 - Jun 16)

Re: Charity & Volunteering 02 (Mar 11 - Dec 11)

Postby winston » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:50 am

What is the difference between charity and sacrifice?

To know the answer to this question, we must first understand what charity is.

It is often thought that charitable and philanthropic acts make for sacrifice. But there is a vast difference between charity and sacrifice.

Charitable people give only a fraction of their wealth to others. Gifts of land, distribution of food, contribution of physical labour and the spreading of education and knowledge belong to this category. Through acts of charity no man ever gives up all that he has.

Going a step higher some retain for themselves what is just and essential, and give away all the rest to society. Such people win the highest acclaim in the world. Our sacred texts prescribed that a portion of one’s possessions must be offered to the poor and needy.

- Ch 21:”The Inner Inquiry”

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 pm

b]Early volunteerism has impact later in life: survey[/b] By Faris Mokhtar

The NVPC survey revealed that those who volunteered in schools are more likely to take part in future charity projects. …

Singaporeans who took part in community work in school are likely to volunteer for charity projects later in life.

Similar to its 2008 survey, the current survey revealed that those earning a monthly income below $1,000 tend to donate a higher percentage of their personal annual income compared to the other income groups.

But it also showed that that those with a monthly income of $4,000 and above recorded the highest percentage when it comes to having an intention to donate online.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singapor ... 20704.html
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm

The best thing to do is to wake up in the morning and help someone.
~ Dr. Pillai
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:54 am

Yaw Shin Leong (Facebook)

Students who are Singapore citizens, residing in Hougang Constituency and who need financial assistance are eligible to apply. https://www.facebook.com/notes/hougang- ... 4450566171
Hougang Constituency Education Trust Bursaries
Dear Hougang Residents, Hougang Constituency Education Trust (HGET) was initiated by the then Member of Parliament for Hougang, Mr. Low Thia Khiang in 1992....
By: Hougang SMC
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm

The best thing to do is to wake up in the morning and help someone.
~ Dr. Pillai
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Watching Oprah now...

Because of her, 64688 kids managed to get an Education.

There was also a segment on The Morehouse College, where 415 guys managed to get a tertiary education because of Oprah.

Many of the kids have decided to pay it forward. So far, they have raised US$350,000 for future kids at Morehouse College.

=================

Morehouse College

The only all male historically black institution of higher learning in the United States.

http://www.morehouse.edu/about/
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Charity & Volunteering 02 (Mar 11 - Dec 12)

Postby winston » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 am

Light

There are 3 ways of spreading the light of truth:-

1. One is to be a candle
2. One is the mirror, passively reflecting it
3. One is to actively share your light, with other candles

Source: The Daily Enlightenment
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Korean-Japanese billionaire to give away fortuneBy Shin Hyon-hee

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) - Han Chang-woo, a Korean-Japanese businessman who founded Maruhan Corp., Japan's largest operator of pachinko parlors, said Saturday he will donate all his wealth, worth US$1.7 billion, to help improve relations between the two countries.

"I'd like to give away all the money I've made before I die. I can assure that my personal assets, except for the company to be handed over to my son and some money for my wife, will be used for the inter-development of Korea and Japan," Han told reporters in Busan.

The 80-year-old Korean immigrant was ranked Japan's 17th-richest person by Forbes last year with net worth of 132 billion yen ($1.7 billion).

A self-made entrepreneur, Han stowed away on a ship to Japan in 1947, to shake off poverty in the aftermath of the Korean War.

He launched Maruhan in 1957 after graduating from college there and expanded the business into food franchises, construction, leisure, advertising and banking and insurance.

The gaming guru now generates 30 trillion won ($27 billion) in annual revenue.

Han is also known for his social contributions. When a tsunami and earthquake rocked Japan on March 11, he offered 10 billion won to residents in hard-hit regions.

His company has been helping build hospitals in developing countries like Cambodia and Myanmar, while hiring people with disabilities at home.

"I'm no longer interested in making money but in how to spend it," Han said.

"These days I'm thinking about social responsibility activities all the time."

In addition to his personal donation, Han said he plans to boost his culture fund based in Japan to 140 billion won and an education fund to 10 billion won, which he initiated last year in his hometown of Sacheon, South Gyeongsang Province.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/korean-japanes ... 03120.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:59 am

TOL:-

What have you done lately, to make the world a better place ?
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:39 am

winston wrote:TOL:-

What have you done lately, to make the world a better place ?

And after asking this question yesterday, I received a statement today from Air Miles, informing me of the amount of airmiles, that would be expiring in my account.

I take this as a "good sign", so I donated the airmiles to my fav charitable organization.
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives