Life 10 (Dec 10 - Mar 11)

Re: Life 10 (Dec 10 - Mar 11)

Postby winston » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:39 am

There Is No Such Thing As Living Alone

We want to run away from our loneliness, with its panicky fears, so we depend on another, we enrich ourselves with companionship, and so on.

We are the prime movers, and other become pawns in our game; and when the pawn turns and demands something in return, we are shocked and grieved.

If our own fortress is strong, without a weak spot in it, this battering from the outside is of little consequence to us.

The peculiar tendencies that arise with advancing age must be understood and corrected while we are still capable of detached and tolerant self-observation and study; our fears must be observed and understood now.

Our energies must be directed, not merely to the understanding of the outward pressures and demands for which we are responsible, but to the comprehension of ourselves, of our loneliness, our fears, demands, and frailties.

There is no such thing as living alone, for all living is relationship; but to live without direct relationship demands high intelligence, a swifter and greater awareness for self-discovery.

A "lone" existence, without this keen and flowing awareness, strengthens the already dominant tendencies, thus causing unbalance, distortion.

It is now that one has to become aware of the set and peculiar habits of thought-feeling which come with age, and by understanding them make away with them.

Inward riches alone bring peace and joy.

- J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Why is it so important to learn and understand the Scriptures ?

The Scriptures have infinite depth of meaning. All may not be able to comprehend the inner meaning of the teachings.

The earth's gravitational force existed even before it was discovered by Newton after rigorous experimentation.

Similarly, the eternal truths hidden in the Scriptures were perceived by the seers, after intense penance and spiritual austerities.

Unless one practises their teachings, one can never find happiness or peace.

In order to realize the Divine, you have to practise the precepts prescribed in the Scriptures. No doubt, even listening to the recitation of the Scriptures is itself capable of purifying your mind and elevating you to a higher level. For it is the Divine embodied as sound.

If you ruminate over them and practise their teachings in your life, you can imagine the magnitude of the bliss you will attain.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Fear Makes Us Obey

Why do we do all this: obey, follow, copy? Why?

Because we are frightened inwardly to be uncertain. We want to be certain, we want to be certain financially, we want to be certain morally,we want to be approved, we want to be in a safe position, we want never to be confronted with trouble, pain, suffering, we want to be enclosed.

So, fear, consciously or unconsciously, makes us obey the Master, the leader, the priest, the government.

Fear also controls us from doing something which may be harmful to others, because we will be punished.

So behind all these actions, greeds, pursuits, lurks this desire for certainty, this desire to be assured.

So, without resolving fear, without being free from fear, merely to obey or to be obeyed has little significance; what has meaning is to understand this fear from day to day and how fear shows itself in different ways.

It is only when there is freedom from fear that there is that inward quality of understanding, that aloneness in which there is no accumulation of knowledge or of experience, and it is that alone which gives extraordinary clarity in the pursuit of the real.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:50 am

Face-to-Face with the Fact

Are we afraid of a fact or of an idea about the fact?

Are we afraid of the thing as it is, or are we afraid of what we think it is?

Take death, for example. Are we afraid of the fact of death or of the idea of death?

The fact is one thing and the idea about the fact is another.

Am I afraid of the word death or of the fact itself? Because I am afraid of the word, of the idea, I never understand the fact, I never look at the fact, I am never in direct relation with the fact.

It is only when I am in complete communion with the fact that there is no fear. If I am not in communion with the fact, then there is fear, and there is no communion with the fact so long as I have an idea, an opinion, a theory, about the fact; so I have to be very clear whether I am afraid of the word, the idea, or the fact.

If I am face-to-face with the fact, there is nothing to understand about it: the fact is there, and I can deal with it. If I am afraid of the word, then I must understand the word, go into the whole process of what the word, the term, implies.

It is my opinion, my idea, my experience, my knowledge about the fact, that creates fear.

So long as there is verbalization of the fact, giving the fact a name and therefore identifying or condemning it, so long as thought is judging the fact as an observer, there must be fear.

Thought is the product of the past; it can only exist through verbalization, through symbols, through images.

So long as thought is regarding or translating the fact, there must be fear.

Thought is the product of the past, it can only exist through verbalization, through symbols, through images; so long as thought is regarding or translating the fact, there must be fear.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 am

What are the pre-requisites to the get the knowledge of the Self?

The Inner Self is also known as the Divine, so learning the "Inner Self knowledge" is to be considered the main objective by every student.

Students who yearn to acquire this knowledge have to earn some primary qualifications. They are: discrimination, renunciation and the zeal to ensure that all evil propensities are uprooted within themselves.

Only then do they deserve the status of being a student. Aspirants who possess a good character through these qualifications can confidently hope to attain the Inner Self without much difficulty.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Smile & Laugh 06 (Aug 10 - May 11)

Postby winston » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Smile by Bob Tschannen-Moran © 2003

Why do we stop smiling?
Little children do it with such reckless abandon.
At the slightest provocation
(And often with no provocation at all)

They burst out smiling
Not just with their mouths
But with their eyes
And their whole beings.

Even the animals find time to smile.
Squirrels roll in the mulch
With obvious delight
And blue jays pass food back and forth
Without apparent concern.

Then, of course, there is the cacophony of calls
As though all the world
Was trying to smile
As the sun brightens the day.

They say it takes far fewer muscles to smile
Than to frown.
Why do we choose the harder way?
Why do we fight over who's right or wrong?

Who's up or down? Better or worse? Richer or poorer?
These things are not unimportant.
But they're no reason to stop smiling.

Life is, after all, how we find it.
No one gets to start at the beginning.
We all step into the same raging river
Are born and raised in the same condition
Of hopeful expectation

That in even the worst of times
There is reason to smile
And with just a simple facial gesture
There are untold mysteries to discover.

Smile.
It really is the least we can do.
From the not so distant parts
Of our childhood being
We can recover

In the twinkling of an eye
That part of ourselves
And of our world
That's not afraid to smile.

Source: Life Trek Coaching
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Chinaman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Some say life is full of sufferings, uncertainty & unsatisfactory.

What is the purpose of life??? common question, difficult answer.

In Buddhism term:

World is nothing but a series of waves.
The scientific analysis of the universe shows the world is nothing but an unbroken series of movement.

Dr Albert Einstein said: "All matter is made of waves and we live in a world of waves"

We are part of the same waves, if a man can be aware: of the state of body, of his feelings, of the states of his mind and of the states of the mental objects, such an awareness will lead him to find out whether there is any purpose in life.
Chinaman
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby winston » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 am

Contacting Fear

There is physical fear. You know, when you see a snake, a wild animal, instinctively there is fear; that is a normal, healthy, natural fear.

It is not fear, it is a desire to protect oneself, that is normal. But the psychological protection of oneself, that is, the desire to be always certain, breeds fear.

A mind that is seeking always to be certain is a dead mind, because there is no certainty in life, there is no permanency.

When you come directly into contact with fear, there is a response of the nerves and all the rest of it. Then, when the mind is no longer escaping through words or through activity of any kind, there is no division between the observer and the thing observed as fear.

It is only the mind that is escaping that separates itself from fear. But when there is a direct contract with fear, there is no observer, there is no entity that says, "I am afraid."

So, the moment you are directly in contact with life, with anything, there is no division; it is this division that breeds competition, ambition, fear.

So what is important is not "how to be free of fear?" If you seek a way, a method, a system to be rid of fear, you will be everlastingly caught in fear.

But if you understand fear, which can only take place when you come directly in contact with it, as you are in contact with hunger, as you are directly in contact when you are threatened with losing your job, then you do something; only then will you find that all fear ceases;we mean all fear, not fear of this kind or of that kind.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 am

The innate Divinity present within us and in everyone around us

The Cosmos was created by the Divine out of Himself. Therefore, He is the originator as well as the material, of the Cosmos. He is full and complete.

And as a result, the Creation is also full and the Individual Inner Self is also full. However, the innate and genuine truth and wisdom of an individual may sometimes be hidden by evil thoughts and deeds.

Those acts and practices that can disclose the native splendour and glory of the Inner Self are termed as good deeds and practices.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am

Fear Is Nonacceptance of What Is

Fear finds various escapes. The common variety is identification, is it not?

Identification with country, with society, with an idea. Haven't you noticed how you respond when you see a procession, a military procession or a religious procession, or when the country is in danger of being invaded?

You then identify yourself with the country, with a being, with an ideology. There are other times when you identify yourself with your child, with your wife, with a particular form of action, or inaction.

Identification is a process of self-forgetfulness. So long as I am conscious of the "me" I know there is pain, there is struggle, there is constant fear.

But if I can identify myself with something greater, with something worthwhile, with beauty, with life, with truth, with belief, with knowledge, at least temporarily, there is an escape from the "me", is there not?

If I talk about "my country" I forget myself temporarily, do I not? If I can say something about God, I forget myself. If I can identify myself with my family, with a group, with a particular party, with a certain ideology, then there is a temporary escape.

Do we now know what fear is? Is it not the non-acceptance of what is? We must understand the word acceptance.

I am not using that word as meaning the effort made to accept. There is no question of accepting when I perceive what is.

When I do not see clearly what is, then I bring in the process of acceptance. Therefore, fear is the non-acceptance of what is.

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives