Life 10 (Dec 10 - Mar 11)

Re: Life 10 (Dec 10 - Mar 11)

Postby winston » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 am

Our existence and true nature

The individual soul can discard as many gross bodies in which it takes temporary residence as the number of times one pares one’s nails.

But the subtle body cannot be changed; it lasts and persists.

This is the most secret doctrine of Indian spiritual thought.

Going further along this line of discovery, it can be seen that a human being means a complex of the gross body, the subtle body and the individual soul.

The scriptures mentioned that the "individual soul" shares the quality of Eternal, Unchanging, Everlastingness with the Divine.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Being Related

Without relationship, there is no existence: to be is to be related.

Most of us do not seem to realize this;that the world is my relationship with others, whether one or many. My problem is that of relationship.

What I am, that I project, and obviously, if I do not understand myself, the whole of relationship is one of confusion in ever-widening circles.

So, relationship becomes of extraordinary importance, not with the so-called mass, the crowd, but in the world of my family and friends, however small that may be, my relationship with my wife, my children, my neighbor.

In a world of vast organizations, vast mobilizations of people, mass movements, we are afraid to act on a small scale; we are afraid to be little people clearing up our own patch.

We say to ourselves, "What can I personally do? I must join a mass movement in order to reform." On the contrary, real revolution takes place not through mass movements but through the inward revaluation of relationship; that alone is real reformation, a radical, continuous revolution.

We are afraid to begin on a small scale. Because the problem is so vast, we think we must meet it with large numbers of people, with a great organization, with mass movements.

Surely, we must begin to tackle the problem on a small scale, and the small scale is the "me" and the "you."

When I understand myself, I understand you, and out of that understanding comes love.

Love is the missing factor; there is a lack of affection, of warmth in relationship; and because we lack that love, that tenderness, that generosity, that mercy in relationship, we escape into mass action which produces further confusion, further misery.

We fill our hearts with blueprints for world reform and do not look to that one resolving factor which is love.

- J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:29 am

You and I Are the Problem, Not the World

The world is not something separate from you and me; the world, society, is the relationship that we establish or seek to establish between each other.

So you and I are the problem, and not the world, because the world is the projection of ourselves, and to understand the world we must understand ourselves.

That world is not separate from us; we are the world, and our problems are the world's problems.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Why is meditation so important for us?

Meditation gives you the first inkling of Divine Bliss. Every one of you must srengthen your mind and make it aware of that bliss.

Otherwise, there is a likelihood of the mind giving up all effort to reach what is now dismissed as ‘empty’ and ‘useless’.

But once your mind is convinced that the moment of attunement with Divine Consciousness is a moment of complete divine power, then the effort will not be slackened; you will most certainly reach Inner Self realization without further interruption.

Chap 4, "Promote the Welfare of all beings".

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 am

Does the Divine punish us for our actions?

The Divine is not responsible for the sorrow and the pain that one experiences. The sins one commits are the cause of the grief one suffers. Joy and sorrow are the consequences of the good and the evil that one perpetrates.

The Divine is merely a witness. He does not punish, nor does He create grief. The individual soul is without a beginning, that is to say, it has no birth; but it involves itself in incessant activity and so it has to go through the inevitable consequences of that activity.

This is the unbreakable law of the objective world. Grief or joy is the image of the activity one engages in; it is the resound, the reflection, and the reaction.

One can be the witness without concerning oneself with the good and the bad of the activity. When involvement happens, good will have to be experienced when good is done, similarly evil will have to be undergone when evil is done.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

Why should we persist in attaining Union with Divinity?

Meditation is the very basis of all spiritual practice.

Meditation gives you the first inkling of the Divine Bliss. With this Bliss as the ideal, you must carry on meditation and mental repetition of the Divine Name.

The step immediately after meditation is total absorption in the Self. Meditation is the seventh of the eight-fold path of Yoga. Do not give up this royal road that leads you on to that sacred goal!

- Chap 4, "Promote the Welfare of all Beings".

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am

What is the key experience we should cultivate?

People are engaged in various forms of self-cultivation, but the most important of these is the cultivation of spiritual experiences.

All refinement is based on spiritual development. It is the king of cultures.

The king makes laws, but he is above and beyond them. So too, all rules and laws, all distinctions of right and wrong, of sin and virtue, of joy and sorrow, affect only the individualized soul that attaches importance to the inexperienced mind and intellect and not to the Inner Self.

So, cultivation of the Inner Self experience, which is pure, self-evident, and transcendental is essential for all.

It is also easy, for the Inner Self, is like the mother of all, and listening to the Inner Self is like the child listening to its mother.

Everyone is competent to have that experience; in fact, it is everyone’s right to have it!

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:27 pm

The Door to Understanding

You cannot wipe away fear without understanding, without actually seeing into the nature of time, which means thought, which means word.

From that arises the question: Is there a thought without word, is there a thinking without the word which is memory?

Sir, without seeing the nature of the mind, the movement of the mind, the process of self-knowing, merely saying that I must be free of it, has very little meaning.

You have to take fear in the context of the whole of the mind. To see, to go into all this, you need energy.

Energy does not come through eating food;that is a part of physical necessity. But to see, in the sense I am using that word, requires an enormous energy; and that energy is dissipated when you are battling with words, when you are resisting, condemning, when you are full of opinions which are preventing you from looking, seeing;your energy is all gone in that.

So in the consideration of this perception, this seeing, again you open the door.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Dealing with Fear

One is afraid of public opinion, afraid of not achieving, not fulfilling, afraid of not having the opportunity; and through it all there is this extraordinary sense of guilt; one has done a thing that one should not have done; the sense of guilt in the very act of doing; one is healthy and others are poor and unhealthy; one has food and others have no food.

The more the mind is inquiring, penetrating, asking, the greater the sense of guilt, anxiety.

Fear is the urge that seeks a Master, a guru; fear is this coating of respectability, which every one loves so dearly; to be respectable.

Do you determine to be courageous to face events in life, or merely rationalize fear away, or find explanations that will give satisfaction to the mind that is caught in fear?

How do you deal with it? Turn on the radio, read a book, go to a temple, cling to some form of dogma, belief?

Fear is the destructive energy in man. It withers the mind, it distorts thought, it leads to all kinds of extraordinarily clever and subtle theories, absurd superstitions, dogmas, and beliefs.

If you see that fear is destructive, then how do you proceed to wipe the mind clean?

You say that by probing into the cause of fear you would be free of fear. Is that so?

Trying to uncover the cause and knowing the cause of fear does not eliminate fear.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:51 am

Freedom from Fear

Is it possible for the mind to empty itself totally of fear?

Fear of any kind breeds illusion; it makes the mind dull, shallow.

Where there is fear there is obviously no freedom, and without freedom there is no love at all.

And most of us have some form of fear; fear of darkness, fear of public opinion, fear of snakes, fear of physical pain, fear of old age, fear of death. We have literally dozens of fears. And is it possible to be completely free of fear?

We can see what fear does to each one of us. It makes one tell lies; it corrupts one in various ways; it makes the mind empty, shallow.

There are dark corners in the mind which can never be investigated and exposed as long as one is afraid.

Physical self-protection, the instinctive urge to keep away from the venomous snake, to draw back from the precipice, to avoid falling under the tramcar, and so on, is sane, normal, healthy.

But I am asking about the psychological self-protectiveness which makes one afraid of disease, of death, of an enemy.

When we seek fulfillment in any form, whether through painting, through music, through relationship, or what you will, there is always fear.

So, what is important is to be aware of this whole process of oneself, to observe, to learn about it, and not ask how to get rid of fear.

When you merely want to get rid of fear, you will find ways and means of escaping from it, and so there can never be freedom from fear.

- The Book of Life

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives