Food & Drinks 01 (May 08 - Dec 10)

Re: Food & Drinks 1 (May 08 - Mar 10)

Postby millionairemind » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Anyone been to the new APPLEBEES restaurant?

Any good?
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Re: Food & Drinks 1 (May 08 - May 10)

Postby millionairemind » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Those who have not been to the new Applebees restaurant, its worth a try. It's a restaurant chain that I used to frequent when I was living in the US. I am so happy to see this chain come to Singapore :D

I was there with a couple of friends last Thu for lunch and we had a good time.

Don't miss the babyback ribs and the appetizer combo!!

The price is also very reasonable.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Re: Food & Drinks 1 (May 08 - May 10)

Postby winston » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

How to Eat Like a Zen Master by Alexander Green

Two weeks ago, I suffered a home invasion - and not for the first time.

I had plopped down to watch Duke play Virginia, having just fixed a toasted ham and Swiss on rye, and a few minutes later - to my astonishment - my plate was bare except for a few crumbs and a spot of pickle juice.

The sandwich thief had struck again!

How clever of him to enter my home in broad daylight, steal the sandwich and dill spear right under my nose, then vanish without a trace.

Wiping the Dijon mustard from my lips, I considered the suspects...

Seriously now, how many meals have you eaten this way, so consumed by your plans for the day, the conversation at the table or - worst of all - the drone of the Tube that you never really tasted the food?

Thich Nhat Hanh would not approve.

Who's he? Nhat Hanh is an expatriate Vietnamese monk and Buddhist Zen Master who has spent his life advocating nonviolence, setting up relief centers for refugees, ministering to the needy, establishing monastic centers, and authoring more than two dozen books on what he calls "mindful living."

(In 1967, Dr. Martin Luther King nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize, telling the committee, "I do not personally know of anyone more worthy of this prize than this gentle monk from Vietnam.")

Nhat Hanh insists that most of us in the West live mindlessly. We spend our days on autopilot, reminiscing about the past or, more often, endlessly planning for the future, even if that's only ten minutes from now. By doing this, we miss our appointment with life. Because the only time we can be fully alive is in the present moment.

To change, we need only recognize that it is always now - and increase our awareness of what is going on within and around us.

Sounds simple enough. But few can actually do it. Instead, we live in a near-constant state of distraction, even when we sit down to eat. (And some, I've noticed, don't even bother to sit.)

Nhat Hanh says we can change this and turn mealtime into an art, a spiritual discipline, simply by following the Seven Practices of a Mindful Eater:

1. Honor the food. Start by unplugging all your daily distractions. Turn off the TV, your cellphone, and the laptop. Then take a moment to consider that everything you are about to consume - even the contents of your salad bowl - was recently alive and is about to provide your sustenance.

Be grateful, too, for the many people who made this meal possible: the farmer who grew and harvested the food, the trucker who transported it, the shopkeeper who offered it, and your spouse or other individuals who may have worked hard to prepare it.

2. Engage all your senses. Before eating, make a practice of pausing. Notice the color, the smell and the texture of the food. With your first bite, take an extra moment to savor each nuance.

3. Serve modest portions. Nhat Hanh recommends using a small dinner plate no larger than nine inches across. Modest portions are not only healthier, they are less wasteful and a small step toward a more responsible use of the planet's resources. It's hard to believe, but over 16,000 children in the developing world still die every day from starvation, malnutrition or hunger-related illnesses.

4. Savor small bites. This allows you to better enjoy the taste of the meal. It also improves digestion since the process begins with enzymes in your mouth breaking down the food.

5. Eat slowly. This will make you feel pleasantly satisfied sooner and help you avoid overeating. There is a big difference between feeling you've had about enough and swearing you can't eat another morsel. Set your fork down between bites. (Few people do this, I've noticed. Try it in a restaurant and more often than not your server will try to whisk your plate away.)

6. Eat regular meals. Skip a meal and you're more likely to yield to fast-food restaurants and vending machines. Planning and sticking to regular meals - at least as much as your schedule allows - will enable you to eat more nutritious food, enjoy more satisfying company and settle your body into a consistent rhythm.

7. Eat a plant-based diet. Buddhists like Thich Nhat Hanh claim this isn't just healthier, it is also easier on the environment and more compassionate toward animals. To the extent you do eat meat, studies show it's better to favor fish and poultry.

My good friend Dr. John Reed, head of the Burnham Institute (one of the world's leading medical research institutes), loves a good steak. But he told me recently that he has given up red meat altogether. He says the increasing evidence of a connection between red meat and colon cancer is pretty scary.

So there you have it. To eat like a Zen master, you don't need years of training or hours spent in cross-legged meditation. You need only recognize your mindless habits and make an effort to change them.

Dine this way and you'll find that not only are your meals more enjoyable, you'll eat less too. And that's a good thing. Scientific studies show that caloric restriction is an important source of longevity.

Eating mindfully allows you to appreciate your food and its connection to the rest of the world. It makes you look and feel better. And it helps you live longer, too. So try this Zen Master's guidelines. See if you can make them second nature.

And, who knows, you might never fall prey to the sandwich thief again.

Source: Spiritual Wealth
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Boredom Strikes 3 (May 10 - Dec 10)

Postby kennynah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:10 pm

famous rojak stall

for those of you who can recall fondly the famous rojak stall at toa payoh central hawker centre, which gave way to HDB Hub many years ago....

it's "lost and found" at old airport hawker centre (next to dakota circle line station)... the old man is still there but obviously now aged graciously... his son is helping him fulltime now, but some 30 years ago, he was just a young teenager who used to just serve up this local delicacy to customers who had to wait sometimes for >30mins....

5 thumbs up....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: Food & Drinks 1 (May 08 - Aug 10)

Postby kennynah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 pm

My Favorite Rojak Stalls

Tiong Bahru Market - Tau Kwa Pok
Amoy Street Hawker Ctr - level 2

super sedap !!!

What's your recommendation?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:03 pm

The one at Victoria Street (coffee shop next to open space carpark and opposite Illuma) is not too bad.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Singapore has only 1 month's supply of eels. The Chinese are not exporting any because of insatiable domestic demand. Garlic and onion prices have gone thru the roof. The US media has reported on huge orders for almond buts, pistachios etc from the Chinese. This Chinese demand is going to drive inflationary pressures for many food items.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Re: Food & Drinks 01 (May 08 - Nov 10)

Postby winston » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Still Tasty

A friend of mine just tipped me to a terrifically useful website called Still Tasty (stilltasty.com).

It's all you ever wanted to know about food expiration dates.

Last year I sent you an e-Alert about decoding expiration jargon. For instance, "sell by" is not actually an expiration date, but rather a guide for grocers.

"Use by" IS an expiration date. But "best if used by" or "best before" usually refers to optimum food flavor or quality--not a hard and fast expiration.

But to really get the total lowdown on hundreds of foods, Still Tasty is the place to go.

For instance, want to know how long that salmon in your refrigerator is going to be safe to eat? Still Tasty has 10 entries for salmon, including "fresh, cooked," "fresh, raw," "smoked--sliced at grocery counter," "smoked, commercially vacuum packed--opened," "smoked, commercially vacuum packed--unopened," etc.

In other words, Still Tasty thoroughly covers all types of foods, and also offers useful advice on storage, freezing, defrosting, and more so you can waste less--and worry less.

Source: HSI
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:00 am

this evening, the mrs came home with a packet of carrot cake for my supper... i assumed it was "chai tow kuay"... you know, the fried carrot cake we all sometimes makan at hawker centres...white one, black one, with "chai por"

turned out, it was Cedele's walnut carrot cake (bakery pastry)...and wah dao eh.... super tasty man.... plenty of walnuts and the cream is just delicious....

you should try it...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:09 am

'carrot cake' is always a joke I remember

long long time ago...while serving NS in Australia...CSM was asking if we want carrot cake night snacks.

The ending is as you expected.

Thinking back, the entire unit (or maybe units) was looking forward to it ....only to find a total mismatched.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives