pepper
Coolie

Re: Animals & Pets

Postby blid2def » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:05 am

X-Man Wolverine Frogs.

full article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080624/sc_ ... h8HiwE1vAI

Excerpt:

Frog species sprout claws on demand

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least 11 species of African frogs carry a built-in concealed weapon -- they can sprout claws on demand to fight off attackers, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

When threatened, the frogs can puncture their own skin with sharp bones in their toes that they then use to claw their attackers, David Blackburn and colleagues at Harvard University reported.

"It's surprising enough to find a frog with claws," Blackburn, a graduate student, said in a statement.

"The fact that those claws work by cutting through the skin of the frogs' feet is even more astonishing. These are the only vertebrate claws known to pierce their way to functionality."
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Sumatran orang-utan now in serious decline
By Ian Wood
Last Updated: 11:25am BST 09/07/2008Page 1 of 3

The Sumatran orang-utan is now in such serious decline that it will take extraordinary efforts to prevent it becoming the first great ape species to become extinct.

The warning emerges from a compilation of a major orang-utan survey in 2004 together with the latest data available on populations in its forest habitat in Sumatra and Borneo.

The new analysis is based on the loss of forest land on both islands since the last survey and confirms that only about 6,500 orangu-tans remain in Sumatra.

A report to be published in Oryx, the International Journal of Conservation, estimates that the figure of 54,000 animals in Borneo may now be 10 per cent too high.

Up to date information on populations is vital for drawing up a strategy to ensure their survival.
The research does show that there are actually more orang-utans in Borneo than previously known but that recent reductions in populations are far more severe than previously thought.

Although the situation is extremely serious the report does highlight some reasons for cautious optimism for their long-term survival.

Dr Martin Fisher, Editor of Oryx said: "The 16 authors who produced this report represent a global consensus of the world's leading orang-utan biologists. "
The report finds that the relatively small population of Sumatran orang-utan is stable, ironically due to human conflict in the Aceh region which has resulted in less forest loss.

Despite the optimism expressed in the report about the current political situation, it is clear that unless urgent action is taken to protect the remaining populations, we can expect further population declines," Dr Fisher said.

Orang-utans are the only great apes found in Asia and today their distribution is restricted to Sumatra and Borneo with those on each island regarded as unique species.

They are particularly vulnerable to extinction due to their long inter-birth interval of about 7 years and are increasingly restricted to smaller forest fragments.

The minimum size for a viable population is considered to be 250 and the report highlights that there are now just 6 remaining groups of this number or more in Sumatra. In Borneo the news is better with 32 separate groups found to contain at least this amount.

Another fact highlighted by the current data is that 75% of all orang-utans occur outside national parks where forests have been suffering from illegal logging, mining, encroachment by palm oil plantations and fires.

In many cases the report states that the appropriate authorities are either unable or reluctant to implement conservation management effectively. However there is evidence that improved protected area management can be attained.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby la papillion » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:34 am

Haha, just discovered this thread :)

I LOVE CATS!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25065597@N06/

Above are my flicker link to my cat and some chinchillas :) haha :P
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:41 am

lapap : do u particularly to have a liking for persian cats? 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:21 am

La Pap - since you like cats... look at this Flickr photostream; it's one of my Flickr contacts. Some really amazing shots there. ;D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28481088@N ... 588448797/
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby la papillion » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 am

kennynah wrote:lapap : do u particularly to have a liking for persian cats? 8-)

Hi K, I prefer cats with short hair, easier to maintain :) So i dun have particular liking for persian :P Mine is a stray, haha
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby la papillion » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 am

grandrake wrote:La Pap - since you like cats... look at this Flickr photostream; it's one of my Flickr contacts. Some really amazing shots there. ;D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28481088@N ... 588448797/

Wow :) hoho, those cats are pretty!
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Chiron » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 am

My wife bot a brown toy poodle in March this year. Me nv a pet person, but now has grown to like dogs cos of the poodle. Smart, learn v fast, although quite mischievous and playful. Well still a puppy now.

cheers
Chiron
Coolie

Postby blid2def » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 am

Here's a cat I caught enjoying itself in the sun at Ueno Park in Japan. Somehow, I'm always gettting animals at awkward moments... :D

blid2def
Permanent Loafer

PreviousNext

Return to Archives