Animals & Pets 01 (May 08 - Jun 14)

Re: Animals & Pets

Postby winston » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:20 am

Can Your Dog Read Your Mind?

Research indicates dogs have some ability to read minds

Source: BrainMysteries.com

Dog owners who think their beloved pooch can read their mind may be right.

Canterbury University psychology student Michelle Maginnity has just completed a masters research project looking at whether the domestic dog has a theory of mind - that is, whether they can think about the thoughts and feelings of self and others.

She said after carrying out a range of experiments which tested the cognitive skills of dogs, she believed they were not only sensitive to human cues, but also had the ability to think about what their human companions may be thinking.

"So, in a way, dogs may be able to read minds," she said.

Michelle's research involved testing the social-cognitive skills of 16 dogs, some pure bred and others of mixed breed, in a food-finding task. In four different experiments the dogs had to decide where the food was hidden by following cues from people who either did or didn't know where the food was.

Michelle said a range of scenarios were tested, for example, one person watched food being hidden while the other covered their eyes, and in each test the dogs showed a preference for the person who they believed knew where the food was.

"What this showed was that the dogs were able to take the perspective of the humans involved in the experiment, and attribute states of knowledge to those people," Michelle said.

"This means dogs may possess a functional theory of mind."

Michelle said research on the social cognition skills of animals had largely focused on chimpanzees and other primates, with relatively inconclusive results. However, she believed dogs were a more appropriate species to look at.

"Domestic dogs have evolved from wolves, which are social pack animals. It would therefore be advantageous to them to be able to think about what other pack members are thinking, especially when taking part in co-operative hunting. In that situation it also helps if they're able to think about what their prey may be thinking," she said.

"Another important factor is that dogs have evolved alongside humans and are likely to have become attuned to human behaviour and social cues to help in their interactions with people."

http://www.mindpowernews.com/DogsReadMinds.htm
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:22 pm

i like these species...

golden retriever

husky

collie

dislike these small little jumpy animals

major turn off for me..
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby b0rderc0llie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Haha I like the big dogs too :)

My choices:

1. Border Collie

2. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

3. White German Shepherd
b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

We have been following this series of documentary on wild animals called LIFE on Okto for a few weeks now. It is on Okto every Wed night.

Excellent documentary. I read that it was shot in HD over a period of 4years. Don't miss it!
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Aspellian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 am

b0rderc0llie wrote:Haha I like the big dogs too :)

My choices:

3. White German Shepherd

wow! I didnt know that there's WHITE German Shephard. amazing discovery for me today!

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby b0rderc0llie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am

The white german shepherd appeared in the movies before:

b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 am

oh...and all the while, i thought it was just animation.... :shock: :lol:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby behappyalways » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:13 pm

血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 pm

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

US - Market Direction & Strategy 17 (Sep 10)

Postby millionairemind » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:15 pm

greenhoney wrote:i wonder where to watch cockroach fighting? but it sounds wonderful albeit a niche market.

GH - Especially for you. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3nTuQXuzlM
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives