Movies & Moviestars 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Movies & Moviestars 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Postby winston » Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Dear All,

I enjoy going to the movies. For that 1.5 hours, I can leave all my worries behind and just enjoy the Present moment.

I actually watched a Russian movie yesterday. I think it is called, "Apocalypse Code". It was about about leggy, beautiful Russian agent, being sent to save the world. Not sure whether they have shown it in Singapore.

Anyway, in the movie, the Americans and the CIA were useless bums. And when there was a confrontation at the end, the Americans were outnumbered. The Americans had only 9 soldiers while the Russians had two Attack Helicopters and two Fighter Jets.

Finally, the Americans have to stand down and even saluted that beautiful Russian agent when she boarded one of the helicopters to leave Tongue.

What did I learn from the movie ?

This movie would go on very well with a Russian audience. The Russians were potrayed to be strong and smart. Their women are beautiful and their guys are driving the fast cars. The Americans were useless bums..

Real life is also like that. We like to see what we want to see and we want to hear what we want to hear. With the internet now, we can google so many stories to support our point of view and ignore the contrary news.

The challenge is then to be able to read and listen to both points of view so that we can come to an independent conclusion.

Please do share the movies that you have seen as well as what those movies have taught you.

Take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Movie Thread

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Children of Huang Shi was not too bad..

Supposedly based on a true story. Starred Chow Yun Fatt, Michelle Yeoh and the Ang Moh couple...

Recalled the small boy getting them to pray first before planting ...

Moral of Story:-
The Universe has it's way to get us to fulfill our destiny .... :)
Last edited by winston on Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Three Kingdom - Resurrection of a Dragon

Starring Andy Lau Tak Wah, Samo Hung, Maggie Q

Very nice at the beginning but the end was a bit far fetched .....
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Golden Compass

Starring Nicole Kidman

Good special effects but I did not really like the story..

Got me thinking:-
If we can accept that the Universe is infinite then why not accept the possibility of having Parallel Universes as well. No need to think in a linear manner..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 pm

The Empress & the Warriors

Starring Leon Lai, Kelly Ng (?), Donny ( ? )

Good special effects. Stupid of Donny to fight alone with an army of 10,000 at the end. Obviously, this general has not read "The Art of the War ".

This Kelly is not too bad.. Smile

Moral of story:-
When you choose a successor, make sure you choose wisely else you have to come back to clean up the mess made by your successor ..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Saw CJ7 a while back, starring Steven Chow Seng Chee ( right spelling ? ). Not my first choice for a movie but again, I have seen everything already at that time..

Good special effects for a HK movie.

Good movie for the kids.

Moral of the story:-
Good things happen to good people..
winston
Billionaire Boss

If you have not seen "Lust Caution", I would certainly recommend you to see it. Make sure you see the one with the artistic content Tongue

BTW, Tan Wei has been blacklisted in China and all advertisements with her in it, has been pulled out.

Also, at that time, a lot of Travel Agencies in Guangdong Province, were organizing trips to HK, to watch the uncensored version of the movie + some shopping.

Never send an inexperienced pussy cat to catch a wolf..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Also saw "Eastern Promises" a while back. It is about the Russian Mafia in London. A bit violent.

Moral of that story:-
Blood is always thicker than water. No matter how loyal you are, blood will always have priority.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Saw Miami Vice when it came out. Very disappointed. These two actors ( clowns really ) are far from the two original actors in the TV series. Gong Li's part was very funny too. Or is it that we have grown old over the years and nothing really excite us anymore ?

The acting by the drug lord and his henchman was good though..

The music was good..

The retro business will always be good. People will always pay money to watch a movie or to hear songs, from his younger days. Read somewhere that the ABBA gold series was a big hit when it came out, even after they were disbanded for > 20 years or whatever ..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Just saw Iron Man. Reminded me of Robo Cop. Even some parts of the story sounds like Robo Cop.

Anyway, the special effects are good.

2 hour movie. Value for your money. The kids liked it...

=====================================

From San:-

Yo Winston:

Our BatMan comics movie, coming soon in July'08: <The Dark Knight>

http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com

this is e sequel to Batman Begins with e emphasis on The Joker. This role was played by a 34-year-old actor late Heath Ledger who died on Jan 22 from an accidental prescription drugs overdose... ironical yet exciting to watch this impending movie!!
winston
Billionaire Boss

Next

Return to Archives