Education 03 (Jul 10 -Jul 12)

Education 03 (Jul 10 -Jul 12)

Postby millionairemind » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Jul 13, 2010
P1 semester exams to go

By Linette Lai

IN THREE years time, all Primary 1 pupils will no longer take the mid-year and end-of-the-year examinations. Instead they will be eased into the formal education system through more holistic assessment practices, like 'show and tell' or the keeping of a Maths journal.

This is the target that the Ministry of Education has set for all primary schools after a positive response from the 16 schools in the pilot programme.

Speaking at the Holistic Assessment seminar on Tuesday, Senior Minister of State for National Development and Education Grace Fu said that holistic assessment involves the use of more 'bite-sized' forms of assessment, instead of the traditional pen-and-paper examinations.

The seminar, which gathered 1,600 participants, was held to help teachers better understand holistic assessment methods.

Also launched at the seminar was a web portal where teachers will be able to share information and experiences about teaching methods involving holistic assessment.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Re: Education 2 (Sep 09 - Jul 10)

Postby iam802 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Cool.

Anyone writing 'How to Ace Your Show and Tell' and 'The Secrets to scoring Ace in Maths Journal' guidebooks?

Or maybe, parents will start coaching their kids to present like Steve Jobs (How to Present like Steve Jobs)
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:10 am

What is the subtlest education we must acquire, which is core to our lives?

Knowledge can be considered as having two aspects: Outer Learning and Inner Learning

Outer Learning provides the wherewithal for human livelihood. You can study many subjects, earn valuable degrees, acquire lucrative job and manage to spend your life with no worry and fear. This type of Learning helps you perform whatever job you may doing, be it that of a humble clerk or a prime minister.

Inner Learning, on the other hand, endows you with the strength, that will enable you to discharge successfully the duty you owe to yourself. It lays down the path which leads both to joy in worldly relations and bliss in the life beyond.

Therefore, Inner Learning is far superior to all Outer Learning available to man on earth.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am

A primary duy of an educated person.

You must learn how to make your parents happy. Today, parents are being treated like servants. Some parents are being admitted into old age homes, when there is shortage of money. This is not correct.

It is your responsibility to look after your parents and provide necessary support to them. They should not be sent to old age homes. You must keep them with you and serve them.

You need not prepare special items for their sake. It is enough if you can give them what you are eating. Whatever job you take up, you must always serve your parents and make them happy.

Serving your parents must be the greatest fortune you must aspire for. It is enough if you take care of your parents, children and family. That is the hallmark of real education.

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:27 am

What is the barometer to indicate an educated person?

Your forefathers achieved prosperity, peace and joy and succeeded in attaining their goals only through faith. If you lose faith, you are certain to fall.

For, faith is the very breath of life. When there is no breath, one becomes a corpse. With the breath of faith, you become Divine, the same as the Lord Himself.

Faith can endow you with all forms of power and render you full and complete. For, the Inner Self, by its very nature, is self-sufficient and full. No other spiritual exercise is needed to realise that state.

Purity and self-sufficiency is also your true nature. Impurity and insufficiency are alien to mankind. You should not ignore or forget this fact.

Real education must arouse this faith and infuse the awareness of this fullness in every activity. This is the essential aim, the core of the right type of education.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Education 3 (Jul 10 - Dec 10)

Postby winston » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:15 am

What is the best way to learn?

We have to learn good things from others. We sow seeds in the ground and provide it with manure and water. The seed sprouts, becomes a sapling and grows into a huge tree.

It does not become soil when placed therein, nor manure when it feeds thereon, nor water when it partakes thereof. It only imbibes from each of them whatever it can benefit from them. It grows into what is essentially IT, namely, a huge tree!

May you too grow likewise. You have to learn much from others; imbibe about the Supreme and the means of attaining it from even the lowest. Learn from others how to practise progressive spiritual exercise and saturate yourselves with it. But do not be transformed into others.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:01 am

What is the true barometer for a scholar?

A true scholar should not entertain egoism in his thoughts at any time. However, the misfortune is that scholars as a class are today afflicted with unbounded egoism.

As a consequence, they follow incorrect ideals and take to wrong paths. They confer the benefits of education only on themselves and on their kith and kin. As a result, they forgo their position among noble men and the respect it can bring.

One must grant generously to others, the knowledge, skill and insight that one has acquired. If this is not done, human progress itself is endangered.

In order to promote the best interest of mankind, one has to cultivate the holy urge of service to others and the attitude of sharing.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:00 pm

teach this simple value to the papayas...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:58 am

Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly.
- Thomas H. Huxley, 1825-1895
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Poles » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 pm

http://theliberatingtruth.wordpress.com ... mber-1159/

The Academic Blacklist photos will be taken down by 2nd September 11:59
Posted on September 2, 2010 by theliberatingtruth| 6 Comments

Firstly, I’m very sorry to disappoint the people who were attracted by some hyperlink to reach my blogs. As I felt that I have gone too far this time in condemning FT students, I would be removing their certificates from the blacklist at 11:59am as the blog post had reached Temasek Review. I do not want to give the school negative publicity since it would be unfair to target NTU alone. However the lack of contribution by NUS students did made it seemingly looked like the blog section was targetted at NTU. Nevertheless, if anyone is interested in the actual blacklist’s names, certificates and photos, I can still send them to you by email if there are requests. Contact me at [email protected] and I can send you the list of students submitted to me previously. But I would seriously refrain you from posting the pictures on the web.

Initially, the content of the articles regarding Academic poisons were meant to let Singaporeans be aware of lurking issues within our local universities campus. I did not expect that many Singaporeans had in fact shared the same opinion as me and decided to publicized my blogs on Straits Times and Channel News Asia forum. The viewership shot up miraculously within weeks after the academic blacklist was up and I really appreciate the efforts done by our fellow Singaporeans to help my blog reached a larger target audience and it definitely helped raise awareness of this prevalent issue that is happening in our local universities every year.

However, seeing my blogs reached our state media channels had also put some kind of pressure on me and my co-author. After all, our state media’s website is easily accessible by many foreign countries as well as Singaporeans. The blacklist would therefore pose a very bad image on Singaporeans, particularly if foreigners know that their children are being targeted and monitored for their behavior. My blog views for the 1st 2 days of September overshot the 31 days of views in August and it showed that a lot of people have accessed my website through the publicity in CNA and ST forums. Publicity in the anti-regime website Temasek review would only add fuel to the already condemned foreign students.

Several readers have claimed that I am inciting racism by targeting IIs in the blacklist. For this, I will reiterate my stance on this. I accept testimonials targeted at any foreign student, not just IIs. There was a Pakistani and 2 Tiongs inside there as well. And I have said, it just happens so naturally that IIs always form the bulk of the Academic Poisons in our local universities.

I have decided to take down the blacklist now and will not be targetting specific FTs openly as precise as before. Nevertheless, I do not encourage Singaporeans to exhibit racial discrimination against IIs just because my blog seemingly made an harmless attempt to spur you on. I had in fact mentioned the groups of Indians as “Academic Poisonous IIs” instead of IIs as a whole. Hence I am not condemning a nationality but a bulk of them whom are known to exhibit bad behaviour.

My intention was never to stake a claim in saying that those places allocated to foreign students should be allocated to local Singaporeans. For our local university to be recognize globally, there has to be 2 important factors:

1. Our university must accept 20% foreign students.

2. They must properly screen those foreign students with a stringent selection process. After all, some foreign students bring about a negative mentality when it comes to school work. There are some who thinks that plagiarism is alright, this can be detrimental to a school’s reputation. There are also other students whom don’t care a damn about coursework and focus their efforts onto the final exam. There was an article on Lianhe Zaobao claiming that students in our local universities, particularly NTU, having heavily plagiarize their thesis and FYP reports. Only by accepting quality students, the research quality of an educational institute can improve.

In future, when you are doing groupwork in your universities, there are some things that you can do to prevent an academic poison from leeching you.

1. Identify the academic poisons and their traits. When you reached the 2nd year of University, do share information with your peers on potential groupwork hazards.

2. When you are forced to group with an academic poison, always remember not to overestimate him. He/she is more useless than what he/she claims to be.

3. Never pass any important work to the Academic poison to do. He/she will have a high chance of either doing nothing, or copying somebody else’s work. If he/she really did copied somebody else’s work, you are going to penalized by the plagiarism check before you even know it.

4. Report to your supervisor immediately, if the academic poison failed to turn up for meetings or tries to pass you plagiarized work. It will be too late if you only decided to take action on the day of assessment or deadline. Most supervisors and professors won’t buy last minute excuses for flops.

Finally, I thank all the support that Singaporeans had gave to The Liberating Truth in the past few months, and we will definitely continue with our FT bashing whenever there are misdeeds reported. I would hope the foreign students mentioned in my blog had their few days of fame in Singapore’s social politics and would certainly reflect on their behavior. If such behaviour continues, there will be a time when another crazy Singaporean like me will start to give them unwanted publicity again.
This entry was posted in The Academic Blacklist. Bookmark the permalink.
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Next

Return to Archives