Car 01 (May 08 - Dec 12)

Re: Car 01 (May 08 - Mar 12)

Postby winston » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 am

If you are living in a cold place ...

Ice scraper

Keep a plastic dustpan in the trunk it makes a great ice scraper.

It removes ice in a jiffy and it will not scratch the windshield.

Source: wisdomtips.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 am

i thought that's is what windscreen wiper is for :lol:

winston wrote:If you are living in a cold place ...

Ice scraper

Keep a plastic dustpan in the trunk it makes a great ice scraper.

It removes ice in a jiffy and it will not scratch the windshield.

Source: wisdomtips.com
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:40 pm

You cant use the wiper to scrap the ice off the windscreen.

Ha Ha ... looks like you have not experienced the very cold weather yet, where freezing rain turn into ice very quickly...
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Car 01 (May 08 - May 12)

Postby winston » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 am

COE prices break S$90,000 mark By Jeffrey Oon

Certificate of entitlement (COE) prices just got higher.

The latest round of bidding on Wednesday saw the premium for cars above 1,600cc hitting $91,000, just a month after breaking the $80,000 barrier.

COE for cars up to 1,600cc are at $64,201, up from $58,501 from a fortnight ago.

The open COE, which can be used for any vehicle type but ends up mainly for cars, finished at $92,010, an increase of over $7,000 from two weeks back.

Commercial vehicle COE set another record at $57,589, up from $53,989 previously.

And the motorcycle premium rose from $1,896 to reach $1,924.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-to-p ... 25398.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:02 am

Avoid excessive idling

Shut off engine while waiting for friends and family.

Today's vehicles are designed to "warm up" fast, so forget about those long warm-ups on cold winter mornings.

Source: www.wisdomtips.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Chinaman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:58 pm

winston wrote:COE prices break S$90,000 mark By Jeffrey Oon

Certificate of entitlement (COE) prices just got higher.

The latest round of bidding on Wednesday saw the premium for cars above 1,600cc hitting $91,000, just a month after breaking the $80,000 barrier.

COE for cars up to 1,600cc are at $64,201, up from $58,501 from a fortnight ago.

The open COE, which can be used for any vehicle type but ends up mainly for cars, finished at $92,010, an increase of over $7,000 from two weeks back.

Commercial vehicle COE set another record at $57,589, up from $53,989 previously.

And the motorcycle premium rose from $1,896 to reach $1,924.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-to-p ... 25398.html

COE : Approaching $100,000
Had the government ever imagined that it would reach this far; more important, how much higher before it takes action? By Seah Chiang Nee
Apr 28, 2012

(Synopsis: Operating a car can possibly cost a Singaporean up to two millions dollars from youth to the time he retires.)

COE has become one of the most disliked – and feared – three letters for Singaporeans, except possibly the State Treasury.

It stands for Certificate of Entitlement, which Singaporeans must have if they want to buy a new car.

Demand for this precious piece of paper has been rising steadily for years to a level that is killing off the dream of many young Singaporeans to own a car.

In the latest bidding, the COE – each certificate is valid for only 10 years – recently hit S$91,000 for a big car (1,600cc or bigger) – a sum that could buy a bungalow or a large farm in many Asian countries.

Even in Singapore, this amount can finance the fees of up to three people for a four-year university course.

Even for a small car (1,600cc or below), the COE is S$64,200. Ironically, the certificate often costs more than the car itself.

The scheme has a significant impact on the city’s rising cost of living, now ninth highest in the world. Transport affects almost every form of activity on the island.

It may also be a wealth destroyer.

A lifetime of buying and operating a car could impoverish a Singaporean by as much as S$2mil by the time he retires, a prominent blogger calculated.

In fact, many of the 10,000 Singaporeans who emigrate abroad annually – 4,000 of them to Australia – say they do so for cheaper cars and houses.

My own case may give an idea of how it is life changing.

Eight years ago, I paid S$18,700 for a COE to buy a new 1,800cc Japanese car (Honda Civic) that inclusively cost S$80,000, the most expensive in the world.

I thought it ridiculously high at the time. It was nothing compared to what was to come.

Today, the same car costs S$157,500 or nearly twice what it did eight years ago. In other words, for this price I could have bought two of the same cars back in 2004.

It has made my model the dearest car in the world. A similar one in the United States is one-seventh the cost.

Since my COE will expire in two years’ time, I am faced with two choices: buy a new car that I can ill-afford or bid for another 10-year COE, which could by then probably exceed S$100,000.

The third option is, of course, to abandon it and use the bus or mass transit like other Singaporeans?

That would have been preferred if my state of health permits it. At 72, with a weak heart and on peritoneal dialysis for failed kidneys, alas public transport is not possible for me.

Most of my trips are to and from hospital for treatment.

I will probably decide, if I’m still alive, to pay for a five-year COE extension at half the then prevailing rate (currently S$91,000) so I can continue to drive my old jalopy for five more years.

The ironic thing is that I will be paying the government thousands of dollars a month just for the privilege of using my own car.

To put things in perspective, the government had intended the scheme to reduce road congestion by putting a quota on new cars. Somewhere along the way, it became a great source of revenue.

Has it cut down car enthusiasm or traffic jams? Yes, but the success has been confined to peak hours in the business districts.

There are more than 500,000 private cars on the roads here – or 44 per 100 households.

Singapore has two-and-a half times more cars than Hong Kong, a comparable city. Without the COE, who knows how many cars would be using our roads – a million?

The government is not wrong in saying that without a quota the roads would be gridlocked at most times, given the rising wealth accumulated by so many.

Critics often call for an end to the COE, saying there are other less costly ways to contain road jams. Beijing, for example, has occasionally imposed alternate-day driving.

The Singapore authorities should impose higher levies on the second and third car, the same way it is doing in the property market to reduce the possibility of a bubble forming, some motorists suggest.

This would be a disincentive against over-consumption by the rich. “But since these measures are revenue-reducing, they are unlikely to be implemented,” the motorist added.

After paying a small fortune for a new car, the owner will then have to worry about Singapore’s Electronic Road Pricing (ERP), another money-draining project.

Nearly 70 electronic gantries are placed over busy streets and highways to tax car users.

My drive to the Singapore General Hospital, for example, passes four gantries and costs me some $7 at peak periods.

But the COE has worked to some extent in keeping down the number of cars in these ERP-covered roads.

The problem is pushed to the surrounding roads, which often inherit some of the congestion as cars make a detour through them.

In a recent report, the Wall Street Journal, in labelling Singapore as the ninth most expensive city in the world, said:

“Moving to Singapore? Start saving: The city-state is one of most expensive cities in the world – 42% more expensive than New York – topping London, Frankfurt and Hong Kong.”

In March, inflation was a high 5.2%, one of the highest in the developed world.

“What’s been messing things up are the COE prices,” said a foreign bank economist.

If they keep rising at the current pace, it will be difficult to bring inflation down.

(The original version was published in The Star).
Chinaman
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Musicwhiz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 am

When is the next COE bidding? May 4 after Labour Day? Wonder if it's really going to eventually break $100,000. That would indeed be frightening and discomforting!

Wow I also never knew Seah Chiang Nee was 70+......cool !
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 am

a piece of COE can buy you at least 2 brand new A8s here
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 am

Malaysia's most expensive licence plate tops US$173, 000 dollars

Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia's road transport department said Monday that car registration number WWW 1 is the country's most expensive vanity plate, with the winning bidder paying more than 173,000 dollars.

The department said car enthusiast Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johor state won the coveted plate from among more than 9,000 bidders.

The bidding for the WWW 1 plate and other car plates with the prefix WWW, which stands for World Wide Web, started in April 30 and ended on May 14.//DPA

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 82966.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:21 am

Check your tires for proper inflation

Underinflation wastes fuel - your engine has to work harder to push the vehicle.

Wheels that are out-of-line (as evidenced by uneven tread wear or vehicle pulling) make the engine work harder, too.

Properly maintained tires will last longer, meaning fewer scrap tires have to be disposed.

Source: www.wisdomtips.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives