Family & Parenthood 02 (Jan 10 - Aug 10)

Re: Family & Parenthood 2 (Jan 10 - Mar 10)

Postby Cheng » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 pm

MM,

I watched the video before when I was in Secondary school haha... Very insightful :)

Found it on Youtube. The video is something like this. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsqeYOk--w
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Cheng wrote:MM,

I watched the video before when I was in Secondary school haha... Very insightful :)

Found it on Youtube. The video is something like this. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsqeYOk--w

haha.. glad that you like it and thanks for the link :D

I have read this a long time ago and it left a deep impression on me cos' I am very interested in human psychology. Been reading up on them since I was 15.

This also forms the basis on how we train our son ;)
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby b0rderc0llie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Haha, i like the experiment.

For my investments, I am future oriented, going for delayed gratification, like those kids who chose to wait for an extra marshmallow.

For my life, I used to be future oriented, but my mindset has changed. I agree with one of the comments of the video: why stress out for 15 minutes over one more marshmellow, when you can enjoy the one you have now.

In the story of the MBA and the fisherman, the MBA does all the things that makes him rich, and then enjoys life. The fisherman enjoys life now, and wonders why the MBA goes one circle to do what he is doing now...
b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby winston » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:14 pm

I want my marshmallow now and I want to eat it now :D
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm

In the story of the MBA and the fisherman, the MBA does all the things that makes him rich, and then enjoys life. The fisherman enjoys life now, and wonders why the MBA goes one circle to do what he is doing now...

becos life is not just about fishing.... imagine, someone fishing from 20s until he dies...how uninteresting, unexciting, uneventful.... there's a time to do this, and a time to do that.... and sure...one day, we should all fish as a hobby.... but that should be when we are all all quite old... maybe that'd be another 40 years for me...seeing that i'm only 25 now ;)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby b0rderc0llie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Haha, I dun like fishing :p Dun mind go kayaking while others fish though :)
b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 am

Jan 27, 2010
Birth rate may dip more
Continued economic uncertainty and Govt's drive to raise labour productivity cited as reasons

By Kor Kian Beng
NEWS that 170 fewer babies were registered here last year worries sociologist Paulin Tay Straughan, who predicts that the numbers could dip again this year.

She cited two key reasons why she believes this will be the case: continued uncertainty over the economy and the Government's drive to raise labour productivity.

Said Associate Professor Straughan, who is a Nominated MP: 'When you are riding a rising tide, people would want to work harder in case the economy dips again. I don't think numbers will go back up this year.'

The Government's productivity drive could drive birth numbers down too, she told The Straits Times yesterday.

Leaders, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, have spoken this week about the importance of raising flagging labour productivity rates here.

Said Prof Straughan: 'I think the emphasis on productivity will overshadow work-life balance and the needs of the family. We all know the constraints, and with the contesting demand that work places on your time, investment in the family may have to take a back seat.'
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 am

A lot of Kiasu and Kiasi people trying to plan 20 years ahead :roll:

And in the process, the create a lot of problems in THE PRESENT
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 am

haha... I think the problem is multi-fold.

1. Chinese - Being very financially sensitive, always think children are now a liability, no longer an asset you can depend on in old age. It is a drain on precious time and $ that could be spent elsewhere.

2. The young are now more individualistic. Just look at the no. of working singles still smooching off their parents.

3. High prices of flats. Every $ you spent on flat (out of pocket) means less money for babies. Even if its totally paid for thro' CPF, they probably have to save more for retirement cos' their CPF will have very little left over after paying thro' their noses for the flats.

4. Recession after recession. Who's interested to have babies and plan for the future when one cannot even be assured of having a livelihood or a career?? Why bring another kid to suffer when you might have no job?

5. Ageism is alive and well in Singapore. Witness the high no. of unemployed graduate from 35-50 yrs of age and you will understand. Its not as if we have age discrimination law like in the US where we can sue for wrongful dismissal.

6. Relentless rising cost of living. Need one say more?

Did I miss anything?? :P

Too much ranting today :D

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 am

And the solution is simple.

1. Make hosuing affordable (by common people's standard)
- this will free up cash

2. Stop talking about increasing productivity
- In a down economy, lots of people are already doing more work
- Don't make it worse by harping on the need to be productive (or work smart etc)

3. Get the ecnomoy growing and make sure common people's salaries are increased
- the reason is simple, like the market drop... many have their salaries cut
- but when the economy recovers, not everyone get back what they lost even if they have put in lots of hard work

So, who's fault is it?

Money can solve 80% of the problem easily.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives