Family & Parenthood 02 (Jan 10 - Aug 10)

Re: Family & Parenthood 2 (Jan 10 - Mar 10)

Postby millionairemind » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

haha.. I agree that the solution is simple.. but simple things are the hardest to do (like cutting losses).

The problem is that the policy makers are not in touch with the ground. When you make 30K a month as scholar, do you REALLY understand how the common "peasants" live on 5K monthly salary? Can you REALLY formulate an effective policy?
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Cheng » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Cost of raising a child to 18 is now $1 million, according to research. :lol:

1 Child $1 Million, 4 Children $4 Million. Housing prices keep going up, cost of living also goes up.

No wonder birth rate so low. :shock:

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matt ... 5803963004
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Postby Musicwhiz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Cheng wrote:Cost of raising a child to 18 is now $1 million, according to research. :lol:

1 Child $1 Million, 4 Children $4 Million. Housing prices keep going up, cost of living also goes up.

No wonder birth rate so low. :shock:

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matt ... 5803963004

Cost of a child's smile = PRICELESS. I can vouch for that, being a father now. :D
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby Cheng » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Haha.. MW, I agree! :)
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Cheng
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:07 am

Does it REALLY cost $1MM to raise a kid????

If a family only makes $3K/mth adjusted for inflation, after 20yrs, they will only make $720K of purchasing power.

It all boils down to "what is a want and what is a need". Is it necessary to go on tours every year? How about all these frivolous tuition classes that claim to increase your child's memory, make him to be a Math Whiz, Read like an American, Swim like Michael Phelps, Play violin like Vanessa Mae, Dance like MJ, Sing like Celine Dion etc...etc....etc.....??

I guess you get my drift. :D
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 pm

my parents were never wealthy....

we all also grew up healthy and happy.... had the occasional "bionic man" toys... marbles aplenty, kites, toy guns, water pistols, roller skates, etc.... we had fun "hiding and seeking" .... using lokangs and wet market crevices...play "catching" in the tiniest of playground compound... played ping pong, badminton and shoot hoops at CCs....

no need so much money like S$1mil lah.... else, some 30% of our singaporean population will be "extinct" by now... 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm

oh my god! what a shocker to read such news!!! :o

Italian teen stabs father in PlayStation row
Reuters - Tuesday, January 26Send IM Story Print

ROME - An Italian man who argued with his son over Sony PlayStation tactics was recovering in hospital on Monday after the teenager stabbed him in the neck with a 15-inch kitchen knife, police and hospital officials said.

The man, identified as Fabrizio R., suffered a deep cut to the throat after his 16-year-old son, Mario, attacked him during an argument on Sunday over the soccer video game FIFA 2009.

Police said the argument broke out when the 46-year-old storekeeper offered his son advice on tactics to improve his play, and then turned the television off in response to his son's behavior.

Fetching a knife from the kitchen, Mario stabbed his father in the neck before returning to clean the weapon at the kitchen sink in front of his mother and leaving it to dry on the draining-board. Forty-six year-old housewife Monica B,. told Italian daily Il Corriere della Sera that she had no idea what had happened until her husband stumbled into the room, clutching his throat.

"I saw Mario come back into the room, he seemed calm, he went to the sink and I noticed him washing a knife," Monica told the newspaper. "Then my husband came into the room with a hand round his neck, dripping blood."

The teenager shut himself in his bedroom after the attack and made no attempt to resist arrest, police said.

The game had been given to Mario a few days earlier, as a birthday present.

"Mario is obsessed. He's forever playing on his PlayStation, and we bought him FIFA 2009 because we didn't want him playing violent games," his mother told Il Corriere.

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby millionairemind » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Another reason Y I will never ever allow PS or Wii or Xbox in my house.

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Cheng » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm

No watching or playing violent games for young kids, their minds are not mature enough. Unless under parental guidance. :lol:

However, this type of case is very rare.

Cheng
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:37 pm

i know of a few friends who made sure their children have PS, Wii, Xbox.... my take is that everything done in moderation is fine....

the parallel is this...recall when we were impressionable teenagers... like many public schools, branded shoes were not permitted.... which was good becos at that time, not many families could afford adidas... but there was no ruling on kinds of school bags...so, we had yonex, adidas, puma, etc... peer pressure can cause a child to feel inadequate if he carries a "made in china" army knapsack.... through no fault of these children.... they are young... we cannot expect them to have any deep appreciation of philosophies of life.... it is very natural to want a sense of belonging to the group of friends in school.... i think, there is no need to intentionally deprive a child of some pleasures of life... as long as it is not overindulging... which is a subjective matter... balance, i guess, is the key word....

anyways...on the matter of children... i learnt in recent years to have a more healthy dosage of respect for them...to know that adults have a moral responsibility to nurture and guide them.... this is what i hope singaporeans can do, not only for their own young, but for every young child even unrelated... remember that Einstein, Newton, Pascal, Deng XiaoPing, Benjamin Sheares, and every great men and women in history, first started off as a child.... it is our Asian traditional believe and practice to put children in a corner, to be seen but not heard... this must change...

depending on the way your child is nurtured and guided, he/she could well become the next historical figure to this world.... a musician, a philanthropist, a business leader, an artist, a political leader, etc...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

PreviousNext

Return to Archives