Family & Parenthood 02 (Jan 10 - Aug 10)

Re: Family & Parenthood 2 (Jan 10 - Jul 10)

Postby Cheng » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:40 am

winston wrote:The kids are having their summer holidays and I'm trying to get them to do something useful, instead of just playing online games and watching online movies.

I tried getting the younger boy to read "Secrets of the Richest Man Ever Lived". It's about the life of King Solomon, supposedly the richest man ever, after taking into account of inflation.

Anyway, his reply was, "How come you are not the richest man ever, even after you have read the book ?" ... :oops:

Hey Winston,

Hahaha... Your boy is very smart. :D

King Solomon is not only rich in material wealth, he is also rich in knowledge, wisdom, being disciplined and have a deep understanding of life on this earth. He is both well-liked by God and man. :)
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Re: Family & Parenthood 2 (Jan 10 - Aug 10)

Postby millionairemind » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Aug 17, 2010
No siblings no harm to social skills

NEW YORK - NO BROTHERS or sisters? No problem, according to a US study that found growing up without siblings did not diminish teenagers' social skills.

A study of more than 13,000 middle and high school students found that only children were selected as friends by schoolmates as often as youngsters with brothers and sisters.

'I don't think anyone has to be concerned that if you don't have siblings, you won't learn the social skills you need to get along with other students in high school,' said researcher Donna Bobbitt-Zeher of Ohio State University.

This new study, which was presented at the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association on Monday, was designed to see if that advantage to having siblings persisted as children become teens.

Each student asked to identify up to five male and five female friends at their school. Bobbitt-Zeher said this allowed the researchers to measure the popularity of students by counting how many times peers identified him or her as a friend.

On average students in the study were nominated by five other schoolmates as a friend with no significant differences between those who had siblings and those who did not. -- REUTERS
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Recently, I learnt that one of my cousins had moved out of his flat where his parents and my grandma lives. He is a working adult now (for the last 5 years), drives a car and is an insurance agent. Unfortunately, he did not contribute a single cent to his parent's home.

My aunt and uncle are struggling. The father has been out of work since 6 years ago due to a back injury and the mother is a factory operator working 12hrs a day just to support the family.

What I REALLY, REALLY don't get is Y move out?? Y pay the rent to another guy when you can just use the same rent money to give to your parents to support them while staying at home??? :( :( :(

I think the 10yr gap between us has really created a wide chasm in thinking. Almost all my (male) friends in my age group are supporting their aged parents, either living with them or providing for them financially. I do not know what is wrong with his generation. :(
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Ha Ha ..... Nowadays, I remind myself not to judge...

This is because I normally dont have all the information. More importantly, it creates a lot of mental activity which prevents me from being in the Present.

In this particular case, maybe he's living with a girl-friend ... ;)
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 pm

MM...maybe you should counsel him ...as a cousin....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: Family & Parenthood 2 (Jan 10 - Jul 10)

Postby sidney » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 am

kennynah wrote:The Bible states it very clearly that we must pay special attention to and groom children !! We shd be patient with them.
Sometimes, I see mothers losing their temper at very young child and slap their buttocks in public because they refuse to submit. I refrain from making quick judgments on such harsh acts, but I feel if parents can better control their emotional reaction and exercise restrain and teach lovingly, the child maybe better educated

I remember Zig Zigglar says that when you raise kids, your are in a way raising your grandchildren and generations beyond..
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 am

kennynah wrote:MM...maybe you should counsel him ...as a cousin....

K - As a concerned extended family member, my much older brother and sister have already talked to him.... but hor, to no avail. :(

My brother has decided to stop using him as his insurance advisor.

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:34 am

The truth will come out later. No need for us to judge as we dont have all the information.

I think he has his own reason. In his mind, those are also very valid reasons.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:03 am

winston wrote:The truth will come out later. No need for us to judge as we dont have all the information.

I think he has his own reason. In his mind, those are also very valid reasons.

Though I agree with you on what you said, I must add that unless the parents are negligent and/or (very) abusive when bringing one up, its our moral responsibility to take care of them in their golden years, either by taking care of them physically by living with them (or near them) and of course financially to ensure that they are not struggling in their older years.

Its very uncomfortable for me to bring my son to visit my maternal grandma who is living with the family to see them struggling. My family is helping to support my grandma financially, this is out of obligation and duty cos' my mum isn't around anymore to do that any more. Its also a lesson I want my son to learn.

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 am

No need to feel too heavy about the situation. Different people have different values and priorities.

And we dont have all the information. I'm sure he has his own valid reasons...
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives