Life 05 (Oct 09 - Dec 09)

Life 05 (Oct 09 - Dec 09)

Postby winston » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:45 am

What are the qualities that characterize great people who lead men and women towards the Divine

They (great people) will have no craving for wealth. They will neither love those who praise them nor hate those who blame them. They will not prevent their disciples from approaching them and will not prohibit anyone from approaching them.

They will look upon all with equal love. They will not relish the defamation of others. They will not be vengeful against those who point out to them their own mistakes and wrongs. They will always spread Truth, Right Action, Peace and Love. They will ever yearn for the joy, welfare and progress of others.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Life (Oct09 - Nov09)

Postby kennynah » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:31 am

What are the qualities that characterize great people who lead men and women towards the Divine....They (great people) will have no craving for wealth.

that likely means that all of us here at InvestIdeas have just been disqualified...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 am

How does the observer come into being?

So how does the observer come into being? When you look at this flower, at the moment you observe it closely, there is no observer, there is only a looking. Then you begin to name that flower. Then you say, “I wish I had it in my garden or in my house.” Then you have already begun to build an image about that flower. So the image-maker is the observer. Right?

Are you following all this? Watch it in yourself, please. So the image and the image-maker are the observer, and the observer is the past. The “me” as the observer is the past, the “me” is the knowledge which I have accumulated: knowledge of pain, sorrow, suffering, agony, despair, loneliness, jealousy, and the tremendous anxiety that one goes through.

That’s all the “me”, which is the accumulated knowledge of the observer, which is the past. Right? So when you observe, the observer looks at that flower with the eyes of the past. And you don’t know how to look without the observer and, therefore, you bring about conflict.

Mind in Meditation, pp 8-9

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:47 am

Permission Granted

You have permission to overflow with joy. You have permission to succeed. You have permission to live the life you dream.

Whoever or whatever you consider to be the one in ultimate charge, God, Source, Universe, All-That-Is, whatever you call it, consider this dose your official permission to be great.

The Big Boss in the sky wants YOU to know that you are worthy, you are loved and you are free. You are free to be outrageously happy, ridiculously prosperous and ecstatically alive.

You have permission. So what are you waiting for?

Source: followyoursoul.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:33 pm

What is more valuable? Preaching or Practice?

Even an ounce of experience is useful than a ton of learning! Many people lecture hours after hours things that are learn by rote. Can one become great by merely the length or the beauty of the lectures? That is like vomiting a swallowed meal.

Give up this talk about others being bad or wrong. Develop your faith and devotion. Strengthen your discipline to meditate on the Divine and engage yourself in beneficial deeds. Speak only what will bring good.

Worship the Divine, keep Him ever in your memory. If you are immersed in these, you will not worry at all about the right and wrong of others.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:57 pm

The division between the observer and the observed

There is a division between the observer and the observed. That is, you are looking at your life as an observer, as something separate from your life. Right? So there is a division between the observer and the observed.

Now, this division is the essence of all conflict, the essence of all struggle, pain, fear, despair. That is, where there is a division between human beings—the division of nationalities, the division of religions, social divisions—there must be conflict. This is law; this is reason, logic.

There is Pakistan on one side and India on the other, battling with each other. You are a Brahmin and another is a non-Brahmin, and there is hate, division. So, that externalized division with all its conflict is the same as the inward division as the observer and the observed.

You’ve understood this? If you don’t understand this, you can’t go much further, because a mind that is in conflict is a tortured mind, a twisted mind, a distorted mind.

Mind in Meditation, p 6

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:58 am

What are the signs of the 'progress report' that leads us to realizing the Divine within ourselves?

Progress in devotion or meditation means the attainment of concentration. Never lose the sight of the Divine Form which you have pictured for yourself. Don't allow the mind to wander on distractions. Be convinced that the distractions of sight and sound are designed to scatter your attention away from the Divine Form.

Be on your guard, do not be deluded and never forget the auspicious form. Picture in yourself the Divine, in whom is immersed all creation. What you will experience and when depends upon His Grace. Your mission is to practice one-pointed concentration on Him.

It does not depend upon the length of time, or the number of births you have taken. Some may realize the goal even in a few days. It completely depends upon your dedication, devotion and relentless practice. The time cannot be calculated or reasoned out. It is all His Grace.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:01 am

Why You Need to Slow Down by Alexander Green

Two weeks ago, a grilled ham and cheese on rye disappeared right before my eyes.

It was in front of me when I flipped on the TV to watch the U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows. But just a few minutes later it had vanished.

True, there were a few crumbs on my shirt. And my wife detected the faint smell of Dijon mustard on my breath.

Hmm. Perhaps even Inspector Clouseau could solve this one. Apparently, I hadn't eaten the sandwich. I had inhaled it.

How much in our lives is the victim of this kind of distraction and mindlessness?

Probably more than we're willing to admit.

People around us are talking but we aren't listening. We're divided between what is happening here and what is happening somewhere else. Or we're thinking about what is happening tomorrow… or 15 minutes from now.

In the process, we miss a lot.

Modern society puts a premium on speed and efficiency, too. We figure we can accomplish more by doing two or three things at once.

But this distraction often comes at a price.

John Freeman, editor of Granta and author of the forthcoming book, The Tyranny of E-mail, writes, "We will die, that much is certain; and everyone we have ever loved will die, too, sometimes – heartbreakingly – before us… Busyness numbs the pain of this awareness, but it can never totally submerge it.

Given that our days are limited, our hours precious, we have to decide what we want to do, what we want to say, what and who we care about, and how we want to allocate our time to these things within the limits that do not and cannot change. In short, we need to slow down."

He has a point.

~ Doctors say slower breathing is one of the simplest ways to better health. Deep breathing lowers stress and reduces systolic blood pressure. It allows oxygen to get down to the smallest airways in our lungs, the alveoli, where the oxygen exchange is most efficient. Quick, shallow breathing causes our bodies to release less nitrous oxide, so our organs and tissues are less oxygenated.

~ Eat slower and you will eat less. There is a lag time between when the stretch receptors in your stomach signal it is time to stop eating and when your brain gets the message.

If you slow your intake, you won't just savor your meals more. Researchers at the University of Rhode Island discovered that people who eat slowly consume 70 less calories per meal. Multiply that by three meals a day and you'll drop 20 pounds over the next year.

~ Slowness won't hurt your love life. Mae West once remarked that anything worth doing is worth doing slowly… very slowly. Marriage counselor Lori Buckley of Pasadena agrees, "Often, the first thing to disappear from a marital relationship is the long, lingering, teasing kiss." See if your significant other doesn't agree.

~ Slowing down prevents accidents. It's impossible to calculate the number of motorists killed or injured each year because they were in a rush. Insurance companies have found that the overwhelming majority of job-site accidents are traceable to hurrying. You actually save time, do better work and prevent more injuries by slowing down.

~ Slowness is part of successful money management. Some folks realize late in life that they haven't saved enough for retirement. To make up for lost time, they often decide to roll the dice by trading risky derivatives (futures and options), penny stocks, or hot tips from friends and colleagues. Big mistake. When it comes to meeting long-term investment goals, the tortoise generally beats the hare.

~ A more deliberate pace enhances your quality of life. There's an old Chinese saying, "Man in hurry cannot walk with dignity." A constant flurry of activity doesn't present an attractive image. It creates stress and anxiety. It causes us to miss much of what is going on around us. As the philosopher Lin Yutang noted, the wise man is not hurried and the hurried man is not wise.

Deep down, most of us realize this. But it never hurts to be reminded – and perhaps take things down a notch.

More than 150 years ago, clergyman and Transcendentalist, William Henry Channing, described the slower, more relaxed life as his "Symphony":

"To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich… to study hard, to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common – this is my symphony."

We all have obligations and deadlines, of course. But hurry and extreme future-mindedness impoverish the present.

What we value most are love, friendship, solace, beauty and humor. These things are best communicated face to face in a calm, relaxed setting.

Slowing down enhances your sense of gratitude, improves your mental and physical health, allows you to gain control of your life, lets you appreciate beauty and enables you to reconnect with those around you.

So take a moment to enjoy what's right in front of you before it's gone.

Even if it's only a grilled ham and cheese on rye.

Source: Spiritual Wealth
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:18 pm

The word is the thinker

Without the word is there thought? Or is the mind such a slave to words that it cannot see the movement of thought without the word? That is: Can I, can the mind, observe “me”, the whole content of “me”, without the word?

Observe what I am without association—the association is the word, the memory, the remembrance—therefore there is a learning about myself without any remembrance, without the accumulated knowledge as experience of anger, jealousy, antagonism, or desire for power.

So can I look at myself—not I—can the mind look at itself without the movement of the word, because the word is the thinker, the word is the observer?

On Mind and Thought, p 49

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:00 am

The right course of action: Our life's sojourn on this earth is like a journey on the train

You have boarded a train to reach a village. You have heard that you need to get down at a station to go to the village. Many a station of the same type come during the journey and the train halts in each one of them. Just because the train halts, you do not get down at any of them with all your luggage, do you?

If you get down, you will not be able to reach your destination; you will miss your goal and suffer many hardships, not to speak of delay. The wiser course is to note even before the start of the journey, the list of intermediate stations and the alighting station by approaching some persons who have travelled on the same route before.

A Spiritual Teacher shows the path and teaches what is beneficial and leads you to the destination. He should be shown respect and gratitude.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Next

Return to Archives