Education 02 (Sep 09 - Jul 10)

Re: Education 2 (Sep 09 - May 10)

Postby Poles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:22 am

i like this education minister.....people like me...england & china all cannot make it....only Maths & Science good...hahhahaa....still must eat & make a living.....we are so short sighted in the past for putting heavy emphasis on language....i suspect this might be one of the reasons we have so little entreprenuers......

i think we SGP parents must go for cultral reform training....if children cannot study ...can still go the vocational route......don't tell them ....cannot study sure die....must sweep floor....
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Poles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 am

i am thinking if people like Wang Yung Ching & Li Ka Shing would be richer if they had more education???considering they are already so rich???
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi MM and Poland
Thanks for your enthusiastic replies :D

MM - regarding science in our primary schools, yes we are teaching too much in our schools. But not mathematics. In life, mathematics matters more than science. I wish they could teach public health in primary schools more.

Poland - regarding Wang Yung Ching & Li Ka Shing , I don't think they had the opportunities to pursue formal studies. If they had, they could achieve maybe even more. I once watched a documentary on 郭台銘, Terry Guo Tai Ming and am thoroughly impressed with this man. His tight organized brains reflected his training from Taipei's Naval Academy.

Warren Buffet (who has a Masters in Finance from Columbia University) and Bill Gates (who left Harvard without completing his course but whose parents are a lawyer and universty professor) would disagree that education played only a small part for their success. The Gates probably couldn't care less if Bill did not have a degree afterall they were extremely confident parents. But according to Bill, they gave him a fantastic home library. The world's richest man, Mexican Carlos Slim, is an engineering graduate.

I would not under-estimate the merits of a good education. The problem lies in the perceived merit in obtaining good examination results from education.
If a parent can eliminate this anxiety, it would help.

My 2 cents.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 pm

millionairemind wrote:Lena,

I feel that our Primary school mathematics/science is exceptionally difficult. I wonder Y there is a need for it to be so difficult??

IMHO, we are teaching too much....

Actually, my friends from China say Singapore's Maths is nothing! (Chicken feet in local context)

So, maybe MOE folks also hear such things...so must up the standard. :lol:
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby Poles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Lena,

I think this is my handicap...inability to transform thoughts into words accurately.....

I was trying to say something like this......
The problem lies in the perceived merit in obtaining good examination results from education.

i agree 101% the merit of a good education and I have to add it encompass more than just test & exams in school.
I guess people like Wang Yung Ching & Li Ka Shing might be too smart for main stream school......better to be out of school or else will get into too much trouble in school....
In the past, out education path is just 1 straight line no deviation is tolerated.....hence we have lost many talented people who are " not so straight".....

i think in order to advance we have to have diversity and embrace variation.....allow growth in many possible variations....>>Just like Coral Reefs....

Rich or poor, asian parents put very heavy emphasis on formal education......but not all can achieve well in formal education......human society has brand these people as failures because they do not conform to our perceived yard stick(academic acheivements)......as such these people might lose their sense of self worth and limit their conribution to the society.....Human intelligence is still in is infancy stage as compared to Nature....
Nature has the ability to ultilise all its available resource to it max. potential without wastage.....each animal or plant has its important position in the eco system....
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Placing great importance in our younglings education could well stem from our Confucius upbringing. As u r aware, in ancient Chinese society, the scholars were the noblest in social hierarchy n entrepreneurs the lowest in order..

But a good education is very critical in nurturing a child's cognitive and learning skills. In actual fact, learning mathematics, for example, isn't abt the technicalities of knowing arithmetic, it is all about learning logical thinking. The difficulty imposed by language on maths sum is the training of the cognitive abilities. It's not as difficult to ask a child to answer 1+1, but considerably more challenging when the same question is rephrased in a more complex linguistic form..

the gripe most parents have about this indepth approach to training the mind, is that the examinations scores seemingly do not reflect the inherent gains. That is, the child could have aced the 1+1 question, but he may not answer 2, when challenged with current more lingua mathematics questioning style, even when it is fundamentally the same.

Thus, I'm all for the current curriculum and I'd encourage parents to support heuristics learning; this will yield better long term results

We all think using a language/dialect... tell me you do not, and i will suggest you write the possibly best selling book the world has ever seen... thus, i cannot emphasize enough the importance we must place on cultivating a child's linguistic skills...
Last edited by kennynah on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 pm

李白
将进酒

李白

君不见黄河之水天上来,奔流到海不复回。

君不见高堂明镜悲白发,朝如青丝暮成雪。

人生得意须尽欢,莫使金樽空对月。

天生我材必有用,千金散尽还复来。

烹羊宰牛且为乐,会须一饮三百杯。

岑夫子、丹丘生:将进酒,杯莫停。

与君歌一曲,请君为我倾耳听。

钟鼓馔玉不足贵,但愿长醉不复醒。

古来圣贤皆寂寞,惟有饮者留其名。

陈王昔时宴平乐,斗酒十千恣欢谑。

主人何为言少钱,径须沽取对君酌。

五花马,千金裘,呼儿将出换美酒,

与尔同销万古愁。

Quoting Poland
Nature has the ability to ultilise all its available resource to it max. potential without wastage.....each animal or plant has its important position in the eco system....
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby sidney » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:27 am

In work life, Maths is abt back to basic. I remember using only x / + or - in my calulator. More complicated one use system to count safer. I dun trust my brains. Muhahaa.

Unless you do mortage loans, then have to use Financial cal. Otherwise, those BIG big calucalators use very simple commands, keys big big very good to press :P
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 am

this one best...

Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby la papillion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am

I posted my thoughts on the latest changes in the education system. It's a bit too whiny and long to paste it all here, so I thought I'll just put a paragraph.

If it interests you, read more http://bullythebear.blogspot.com/2010/04/changes-in-education-system.html.
--------------------------------------

I read with interest regarding the latest changes to our education system. Most of the time, the changes will relate to mother tongue - a misnomer for the second language we learn besides English. The bugbear had always been the teaching of chinese, which many found it extremely hard. Interestingly, scant little had been done for tamil and malay when compared to chinese, where many innovative and creative ways to teach are reported in the newspaper. I could be wrong, but if there's any changes, it is definitely not as 'reported' as those changes made in the chinese language. Maybe the advocates for changes in the malay and tamil languages are not as loud as those for the chinese language.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

PreviousNext

Return to Archives