Education 02 (Sep 09 - Jul 10)

Re: Education 2 (Sep 09 - May 10)

Postby Musicwhiz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:22 am

I think if you go further back, there was only "Nan Da" (current NTU). Hehehehe...... :P
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby millionairemind » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:23 am

Musicwhiz wrote:I think if you go further back, there was only "Nan Da" (current NTU). Hehehehe...... :P

haha... I am old.. but NOT THAT OLD... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

My sister was telling me this funny story about her daughter. One day, she found her daughter doing some assessment paper. My sister was curious cos' her daughter does not have tuition and the papers was not given by her.

Upon further probing, she found out that the assessment paper was from the girl's best friend V. Apparently, that poor girl V has tuition every single day of the week. She is so overwhelmed with work that she is asking my niece to help her out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My niece tot it was OK to help out her friend and get some assessment papers done too.. :D

I tot the incident was very funny... but then again, on further thought, maybe not so...

The parents of V apparently do not seem to know that she is overwhelmed with tuition. Is this a good thing? Does she even need it?....

hmm....
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:07 pm

millionairemind wrote:So many universities to choose from.... youngsters will be spoilt for choice. Back when I was in Uni.. only 2 choices, NTU or NUS :(
Mar 19, 2010

If you know NTU or NUS, aiyah, you're young. I know University of Malaya - the local campus subsequently became University of Singapore.

I know K will take to swimming and take his g/f swimming 8-) This way, can check out the g/f's physical endowments or faults.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:52 pm

haha.. I tot K's only 27?? :o :o 8-) 8-) :lol:

Somethings are better left to the imagination. :D

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 pm

K's young like Alan Tam :D Wonder if he dreams in color :?: From the age of 30, I never could dream in color.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:21 am

Can education alone give us happiness? What do we really need for fulfilling joy in our lives?

Education is now sought after for securing a means of livelihood. The attempt of many parents and their children is to learn some skills which will fetch them a good job in a business establishment for a decent salary.

Of course, man must live and live comfortably. So, it is necessary that some useful skill is mastered. But, man needs things much more satisfying and essential than comfort. He must have faith in himself, so that he may respect himself. This confidence in the Self lies at the very root of joy.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:26 pm

LenaHuat wrote:K's young like Alan Tam :D Wonder if he dreams in color :?: From the age of 30, I never could dream in color.

i think i have the same experience as you.... odd how this happens...

LenaHuat wrote:I know K will take to swimming and take his g/f swimming 8-) This way, can check out the g/f's physical endowments or faults.

hahaha... you are very perceptive indeed.. i used to do just that.... and i am guessing that you did that too .. to be appreciated by your past boyfriends...hahaha....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 am

Apr 5, 2010
S'pore schools score wins
By Jennani Durai

IF RESULTS of recent international competitions are anything to go by, then Singapore's education system seems to be doing all right with the holistic development of its students.

In the past month alone, Singapore schools won at least four international titles in debates, choir and dance.

Leading the way was Singapore Management University's (SMU) three-year-old Law School, which snagged the university's first international law moot title. Then, choirs from Catholic Junior College (CJC) and Anderson Secondary School, both not typically known as choir schools, clinched gold awards in international choral competitions, while Victoria Junior College's (VJC) dance ensemble similarly beat international rivals to win in Italy.

SMU's team, comprising third-year students Chang Zi Qian, Eng Cia Ai, Sheryl Lee and Michael Ng - all from its pioneer law batch - emerged the champion at the Monroe E. Price International Media Law Moot, organised by Oxford University, on March 27. A moot is a mock trial in which participants argue a case as if in court. The SMU team defeated more than 20 others from all over the world in seven rounds of simulated court debate.

This particular moot centred on media law issues, and this year's hypothetical problem involved a clash between the press and the state on the issue of press freedom, said Assistant Professor Tay Eu-Yen, a litigator with law firm Drew and Napier, who helped coach the team.

The SMU team beat the defending champions from the Cardozo School of Law in New York in the finals to clinch the title.

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:56 am

The boy brought home a note from the school on Friday.

The notice from school states that the school is conducting a FREE 2HR Math session for PARENTS in order to teach them heuristics, models, problem solving... so that they can help with their kids homework.

I was surprised by this. I guess the school wants to be proactive so that the parents can help with the kid's homework.

I am not sure about other parents but I sure don't sit down side by side with my kid to make sure he does his homework.

He has his "homework time slot" when he switches off the TV after coming back from school and does his homework himself. I expect him to work hard and long at his homework so that he experiences maximum frustration if he does not know how to do it. Its the "a-ha" moment in Math that will allow him the breakthrough.

He can of course come and ask me, provided that he has tried really hard.

I found that alot of kids nowadays don't work long and hard at their problems before they give up. They just turn to the parents and their home tutors at once before they even spend sometime thinking about the problem.

Just some musings on a lazy Sunday morning. :D

millionairemind
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives