Education 02 (Sep 09 - Jul 10)

Re: Education 2 (Sep 09 - Mar 10)

Postby millionairemind » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Other than those working for LTA and perhaps some other gahmen employees around Asia, who else would be interested in this course?

Feb 25, 2010
LTA, UniSIM starts new course
By Maria Almenoar
THE Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SIM University will offer a new Masters programme called the Master of Science in Urban Transport Management from July.

The course is mainly aimed at professionals in the Government or private sector involved in transport work here or overseas.

It will cover topics such as policy planning, sustainable land use and transport economics among other things.

The course runs for 18 months part-time and costs $24,000.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 pm

very specialized...

one possible employer is Mumbai Train Station... although, other potential employers are all over the world...any country that has a MRT equivalent transportation system.... even KL has one...not to mention sentosa island...hahaha...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:05 pm

The Mrs. ran into an old friend V today. V was formerly from RGS and a straight A student. She was bringing her P2 kid to I CAN READ on a Sunday morning. After the I CAN READ, its to BARRY for Chinese language lessons. On Sat, the kid has Math and Piano lessons.

The Mrs. commented that since V was a straight A student, she can just coach her kid instead of running around hurriedly. Unfortunately, it earned a rebuke from V.. haha... :P

I often wonder Y so many parents (or rather 99% of the parents I know) send their kids to all these lessons outside of school. If it's to swimming or dancing lessons or Taekwondo lessons which the parents are not equipped to coach, I understand. But if its to lessons that merely repeat and regurgitate what the teacher had already taught in class, I often fail to comprehend the need for it.

Aren't the parents themselves qualified to coach their kids? What makes the parents think that the teachers at I CAN READ, or I CAN MATH or WHATEVER CRAP I OSO CAN are better than them?? One of my son's Kindergarten teacher also moonlights as a I CAN READ teacher. So whatever she is doing at I CAN READ is already covered in class.

I suspect that many of these classes cater to the parents' sense of insecurity.

When I asked a friend of mine Y he sends his kid there, he mentioned that he wanted to have a rest on the weekends rather than spend time coaching his kids. But if he spends so much time traveling back and forth from these classes, how much rest is he getting? Is he even spending time with his kid during the weekends?

I have had numerous discussions on this topic with the Mrs cos' at times I feel that we are the only odd one out as all my friends send their kids to tuition classes.

We always feel that sending to kids to these classes at such a young age rob the kids of a chance to "grow their education muscle and develop their independence mind". It's like giving a crutch to a kid and asking him to use it way before he has a chance to find out if his muscles are strong enough to be used on its own.

Its like telling your child "YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH ON YOUR OWN so WE WILL HAVE TO COMPENSATE FOR IT"

Maybe its just me.. :roll:

There are just my musings on a lazy Sunday afternoon :D
Last edited by millionairemind on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Poles » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 pm

just to let u know.....u are not alone..... :lol:
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:02 pm

some one i know send his kids on sunday morning for swimming lessons.... he goes off to do his personal stuff for the 2 hours or so....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby lithium » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm

you can start to teach them I CANSLIM :p :mrgreen:
"Play Great Defence, not Great Offence "
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby millionairemind » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:06 pm

My nephew did well enough in last year's PSLE to be admitted to the integrated program. Apparently last week he was asked to choose his ECA for the next four years.

Since he was a former school badminton player, he chose badminton. Apparently, it is school policy to give the students their 1st choice, failing which they end up in uniform groups such as NPCC. I did not realize nowadays NPCC is on the last rung on the ladder. :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately for him, the school did not give him his choice of badminton. Instead, he got dumped to NPCC. :D

Reason - They do not have enough good players in the Sec 1 cohort to warrant forming a team to compete at the interschool levels.

The boy rounded up 10 kids and appealed to the Principal. The answer is still NO. Cos' only 4 of them are deemed good enough.

The school's policy appears to be "if you are NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be in the school team and we can't win in the competition, you can't join that sports of your choice".

What happened to just enjoying sports?? Is the only reason to play sports to WIN? How about learning team work and learning a skill from scratch?

Times really have changed since I was in Secondary school.
:roll:

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:20 pm

There are 2 issues here.

1. Meeting KPIs

2. Resource allocation

If the school agrees to request from groups of 10, will they have enough teachers to go around?

I can definitely understand the frustration. It already happens in my kid´s primary school.

Nowadays, choosing a school also includes understanding what are their core ECAs. And whether that will be a strategic choice moving forward.

Gone are the days where one joins an ECA because we want to learn something.

Myopic on the Principal side. It only takes 1 player to win a medal in the Singles and 2 to win in the Doubles.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:30 pm

not right leh.... i dont agree with the principal's decision to disallow the child to pursue his interest in badminton...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby la papillion » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm

In my time in primary/sec school, it had always been like that. Students are chosen for CCAs because they can already perform in it, nevermind their interests.

But I heard there are some pri schools starting a new system, one is for recreational, the other is competitive. The recreational one is the one where students can get to play around because of interest.

I thought this is a much better idea.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

PreviousNext

Return to Archives