Books 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Re: Investment & Non-Investment Books

Postby helios » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 pm

yo,

point 9 seems interesting. Care to elaborate on e MindSet??
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Currently reading this book called Super Crunchers... very interesting book about DATA mining, its application in real life and how it changes the way Economist can predict things.

One example in the opening chapter talks about the economist being able to predict wine quality way before the wine experts get a chance to taste the wine...and the super crunchers are more accurate with prediction about the quality of the wine and the price it will fetch than the wine tasting experts! :shock:
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Re: Investment/Non-Investment Books

Postby helios » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:09 pm

winston wrote:All the books by Dr. Brian Weiss

Highly Recommended. It will blow you away. They are all supposedly true stories..

1) Many Lives, Many Masters
2) Only Love is Real
3) Messages from the Masters
4) Through Time into Healing
etc.

Brian Weiss, MD, a graduate of Columbia University and Yale Medical School, and founding chairman and chairman emeritus of the Department of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami, is also America's leading authority in past-life regression therapy.

His background and extensive experience in traditional psychotherapy was set on a new course more than a decade ago when one of his patients began recalling past-life traumas that seemed to hold the key to her recurring nightmares and anxiety attacks. Astonished and initially skeptical, Weiss's skepticism eroded when his patient began to channel messages from "the space between lives," that contained remarkable revelations about Weiss's family and his dead son. Realizing that past-life regression presented potential as a powerful new therapy method, Weiss went on to cure the patient and embark on a new, more meaningful phase of his own career.

Weiss has authored several best-selling books based on his experience as a psychiatrist and healer. In his first book, Many Lives, Many Masters, he vividly describes the insights of a young patient named Catherine, who came to important realizations about the circumstances of her life today and the intricate thread of previous beings within her experience. In Through Time into Healing, he presents case studies that illustrate the healing potential of past-life regression therapy and several techniques for eliciting past life recall.

Only Love Is Real describes soulmates reunited, and Messages from the Masters explains how we can harness the awesome power of the ultimate force in the universe—love.

Weiss's work has been featured in numerous magazines, newspapers, and television shows, including The Oprah Winfrey Show, Larry King Live, 20/20, 48 Hours, and on the Discover Channel and CNN. He maintains a private practice in Miami.

>>> Only Love is Real: The Story of soulmates reunited.
>>> it's a fantastic book indeed, thanks to winston's recommendatn.
>>> i was discuss'g this book w lydia earlier, on e ear-marked pages she'd made ... below r some well-meaning excerpts:

Love is e ultimate answer. Love is not an abstractn but an actual energy, or spectrum of energies, which u can 'create' and maintain in your being. Just be loving. You r beginning to touch God within yourself. Feel loving. Express your love.

With love and understand'g comes e perspective of infinite patience. What's your hurry? There's no time anyway: it only feels that way to u. When u r not experiencing e present, when u r absorbed in e past or worried abt e future, u bring great headache and grief to yourself. Time is an illusion, too. Even in e three-dimensional world, future is only a system of probabilities. Why do u worry so?

Measure time, if u must, in lessons learned, not in minutes or hours or years. You can cure yourself in 5 mins if u come to e proper understand'g. Or in fifty years. It's all e same thing.

In your growth, don't be afraid of evoking anger in other people. Anger is only a manifestation of their insecurity. But fearing this anger can hold u back. Anger would be merely stupid if it didn't create so much grief. Dissolve your own anger in love & forgiveness.

Sharpen your focus. Reset your values. Remember what is impt and what's less impt. Get out of e rut. Remember to hope.

Knowledge can only flow into minds that are open.
Last edited by helios on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi San San,

I'm glad that you like "Only Love is Real". I'm sure you will now pick up his other books eg. Many Lives, Many Masters, Messages from the Masters etc..

Actually, it was a bit of a coincidence how I got hold of my first book by Dr. Weiss. I was actually at the Bangalore airport, waiting for the Immigration counters to open. ( It was dinner time and all the immigration officers were off to dinner ).

I was actually a bit angry but also had a strong feeling to go into this really small book shop. Normally, when I have a hunch like this, I would just follow my hunch. ( Learnt it from "The Celestine Prophesy", another must read book about "Coincidences" ).

Anyway, I went into the small shop and browse around. However, I did not really see anything I like. Maybe it was because I was still a bit frustrated that the immigration counters were all closed.

Anyway, the strong feeling was still there, that I will find something useful in this bookshop. So I decided to try the guy at the shop. I asked him whether there are any good spiritual books that he would recommend. He immediately gave me two books by Dr. Weiss. I flipped thru them, trusted my instinct and bought them. The rest were history.. :)

BTW, kennynah, u were asking me about books to read and I would strongly recommend to you, the books by Dr. Brian Weiss.

Take care all.
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:44 pm

A while back, I read an investment book called, "ChangeWave Investing 2.0" by Tobin Smith.

The following are some comments on the book by a reader on Amazon.com:-

ChangeWave Investing is "a philosophy, a growth-stock-picking strategy, and portfolio management system all rolled into one."

Mr. Smith argues that technology will be over half of the U.S. economy and the potential for sharp shifts in trends will be accelerated by dominance.

The thought process is basically as follows:-

Find the biggest shifts going on in society (ChangeQuakes) which may come from economic (the light bulb extending night-time activities), technological (DSL), regulatory (end of fixed commissions on Wall Street), strategic (better business models like Dell's direct selling of PCs), or fad (Furby interactive toys) sources.

There will also be second generation aftershocks, like HTML shifting into XML to provide more richness on the Internet.

Then find the few companies with the Killer Value Propositions for these shifts that will "relieve pain/anxiety/stress (emotional or physical)," "deliver pleasure or hope (direct or indirect)," "satiate greed/build self-esteem/create wealth, status, or power," or "reduce/eliminate fear/regret (provide safety, predictability)."

Invest in the best two or three that have fine profit growth prospects. Use technical analysis to pick when to buy (typically when the 50 day moving average surpasses the 200 day moving average). If a stock tanks by 8-10% soon after you buy it, sell. If it goes up rapidly, buy more.

Winnow down to own the ultimate market leader as soon as you can.

Separately, you should have set a portfolio allocation for what percentage of your holdings will be in these rapidly growing stocks. You are encouraged to have a fair amount of your holdings in less rapidly growing stocks that will be more stable, but will be helped by large trends. You should also hold some cash.

When I reviewed ChangeWave Investing, I predicted that there would be a 2.0 version. Having read the 2.0 version, I predict there will be a 3.0 version. There are still some important problems with this approach. One of them is valuation. As long as the trends and the technical indicators are positive, you are supposed to buy . . . no matter how high the price is. I suspect that you would do a lot better to buy the least expensive stocks in terms of their economic potential. No one can really forecast trends all that well.

Another problem is a misunderstanding of growth. Like many people, Mr. Smith believes that all industries go through an "S" curve pattern. In my consulting practice, I have often been asked to look at rapid growth brought about by rapid changes, and have found that a knife-edge is a more typical pattern. In a knife-edge, the peak is reached very rapidly and then consumption drops immediately to much lower levels and stays there for some time.

Getting out of stocks of companies serving this kind of demand can be quite challenging. Many will quickly fall by 95 percent or more. The book suggests using technical indicators to sell (the 50 day moving average crossing the 200 day moving average), but there are exceptions that can keep you in. I suspect that you will do better if you are quicker to sell than this, and follow no exceptions.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:57 pm

Title : Technical Analysis Demystified
Writer : Constance Brown

Title : Monster Stocks
Writer : John Boik

Title : The New Options Advantage ((this is at least an intermediate level read))
Writer : David L. Caplan
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby helios » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:14 am

winston wrote:Hi San San,
Anyway, I went into the small shop and browse around. However, I did not really see anything I like. Maybe it was because I was still a bit frustrated that the immigration counters were all closed.

Anyway, the strong feeling was still there, that I will find something useful in this bookshop. So I decided to try the guy at the shop. I asked him whether there are any good spiritual books that he would recommend. He immediately gave me two books by Dr. Weiss. I flipped thru them, trusted my instinct and bought them. The rest were history.. :)

BTW, kennynah, u were asking me about books to read and I would strongly recommend to you, the books by Dr. Brian Weiss.

Take care all.
Winston

W: u r so cool, yeah, i happened to get e book fr. friends as it wasn't easy to find this on e book-shelves; my surprise take: they've collected e whole series!!

i can't write e stories here, coz u need to 'feel' e book when u read. EG: For 175pages, one will finish it within half-a-day kinda.
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:17 am

winston wrote:BTW, kennynah, u were asking me about books to read and I would strongly recommend to you, the books by Dr. Brian Weiss.

W: sorry, i missed out on your earlier post on this recommendation...thanks...is this any kind of spiritual book? any particular inclination to any religion? thanks.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:35 am

kennynah wrote:W: sorry, i missed out on your earlier post on this recommendation...thanks...is this any kind of spiritual book? any particular inclination to any religion? thanks.

Hi k,

No particular inclination to any religion. Keep your mind open to all possibilities. This is what I wrote for San:-

All the books by Dr. Brian Weiss

Highly Recommended. It will blow you away. They are all supposedly true stories..

1) Many Lives, Many Masters
2) Only Love is Real
3) Messages from the Masters
4) Through Time into Healing
etc.

Brian Weiss, MD, a graduate of Columbia University and Yale Medical School, and founding chairman and chairman emeritus of the Department of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami, is also America's leading authority in past-life regression therapy.

His background and extensive experience in traditional psychotherapy was set on a new course more than a decade ago when one of his patients began recalling past-life traumas that seemed to hold the key to her recurring nightmares and anxiety attacks. Astonished and initially skeptical, Weiss's skepticism eroded when his patient began to channel messages from "the space between lives," that contained remarkable revelations about Weiss's family and his dead son. Realizing that past-life regression presented potential as a powerful new therapy method, Weiss went on to cure the patient and embark on a new, more meaningful phase of his own career.

Weiss has authored several best-selling books based on his experience as a psychiatrist and healer. In his first book, Many Lives, Many Masters, he vividly describes the insights of a young patient named Catherine, who came to important realizations about the circumstances of her life today and the intricate thread of previous beings within her experience. In Through Time into Healing, he presents case studies that illustrate the healing potential of past-life regression therapy and several techniques for eliciting past life recall.

Only Love Is Real describes soulmates reunited, and Messages from the Masters explains how we can harness the awesome power of the ultimate force in the universe—love.

Weiss's work has been featured in numerous magazines, newspapers, and television shows, including The Oprah Winfrey Show, Larry King Live, 20/20, 48 Hours, and on the Discover Channel and CNN. He maintains a private practice in Miami.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:33 am

winston wrote:
kennynah wrote:W: sorry, i missed out on your earlier post on this recommendation...thanks...is this any kind of spiritual book? any particular inclination to any religion? thanks.

Hi k,

No particular inclination to any religion. Keep your mind open to all possibilities.

Thanks W...but i am afraid there are things that are non negotiable...religion is one of them for me... but i note your kind suggestion.

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

PreviousNext

Return to Archives