Books 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Re: Books

Postby sidney » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:23 am

winston wrote:
la papillion wrote:Alchemy is a good read? I tried a few chapters quite long ago but gave up and chose another book instead.

Same here. I gave up on it. Very dry. My simple mind cannot fathom his deep thoughts.

I borrowed listen from audio tape and stop tape after 10mins.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:46 am

la papillion wrote:mm, reading reminiscences of stock operator. Really good read, a page turner for me :) thks for ur intro!

La Pap - Glad you like it.

The following books have changed my whole out look on what constitutes the market and how to trade it so as to make money from it. I hope you can give it a try ;)

1. Reminiscences of a Stock Market Operator
2. How to trade in stocks by JL
3. How to make money in stocks by O'Neil
4. The Battle for Investment Survival by Loeb
5. My own story by Baruch (not available in Singapore. Special order from Amazon. I have a copy but lent it to dol)

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 pm

hahaha..... my life changing book...

"journey to the centre of the earth" - jules verne....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby la papillion » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:18 pm

MM,

Thks for your list :) I'll try to check it out. I've read two of your books, no. 1 and no. 3. I'm interested in Baruch :) haha

K,

Journey to centre of earth is life changing for you ah? hoho! Why?
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby millionairemind » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Just finished reading the book Come Into My Trading Room by Alexander Elder. You may remember him from his first book Trading for a Living.

I enjoyed the last 1/3 of his book where he talks about money management, psychology, what makes an organized trader.

Since I have read the first book, the first half of the 2nd book is like a revised portion of the 1st book.

One thing I learnt from this book is my mistaken notion previously about risking 2% of your equity. I used to think that it means that you can trade only $8K per trade if you have a 400k equity line. That was Y I never really understood how anyone can make money only with 2% of your equity in each trade. Actually it means that your stop loss can only take out 2% of your equity each time. This makes much more sense to me.

He has a good rule of 2%, 6%. If you are taken down by 6% in any given month, you are NOT ALLOWED to trade anymore. Instead, keep watching the market. This helps traders to stay in the game for the long haul.

This book is expensive (around $110) but available at the library. I got mine from my local library.

I was just yakking with La Pap ytd. We both noticed that nowadays almost all investment/trading books are back on the shelf now that the market has tanked so much. :lol:

When mkt was red hot last year, I could not lay my hands on many of the books I wanted to read.. :P
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm

the reference section at the Central Library (next to Bras Brasah) has a ton of books on investment.

I was reading the Elder's book there last weekend.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby la papillion » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:16 am

802, Bras brasah is good, but the reference section you can't borrow right? Usually there's hidden gems on the main shelves. But guys, did u notice libraries had newer books these days. The new additions are very recent, so recent that you can find it on the shelves of major bookstores. Wonderful places :)
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby iam802 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am

Can't borrow.

I have lots of time to 'burn' while waiting for the kid to finish those extra-lessons,..... that is a good place to sit down and read. There are also a few Bloomberg terminals there (Level 8).

Lots of students studying there as well :)
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby HengHeng » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 am

bloomberg is very useful expecially now i think the area is empty most of the time. Sobs i smell dried blood spilled after the last few aftermaths .. I think alot of people lost alot of money.

My personal suggestion spend time now to tender to your wounds , read up and revise ur strategies for the next bull run.

my book selection is almost similiar to MM's

1. Reminiscences of a Stock Market Operator
2. How to trade in stocks by JL
3. How to make money in stocks by O'Neil
4. Inside the house of money
5. The intellegent investor
6. Liar's poker ( this book helped me advert all the dangers of the recent CDO thing )
7. Alchemy of Finance ( i spent half a year reading this book and still cannot understand everything )
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:41 pm

I've taken Rockefeller scholars from ASEAN countries to tour our public libraries and must say that they were terribly impressed and amazed at our public investments in the intellectual development of our citizens and residents.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives