Business Leadership Skills 01 (Jul 09 - Feb 13)

Re: Business Leadership Skills

Postby millionairemind » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:51 pm

winston wrote:An Essential Quality of a Good Leader By Michael Masterson

There are basically two ways to get the people who work for you, to do what you want. You can bully them into it. Or you can lead them.

The bully's method is initially effective, because it takes advantage of his superior power. But everything changes with time -- including the balance of power within a company. So, ultimately, it fails.

The leader gets what he wants through inspiration and persuasion. He has to work harder at first, because his method depends on gradually enlisting the voluntary support of his people. But he sustains his influence long after the bullies have been beaten.

Source: ETR

Back in my corporate life, I found that it was much easier to work thro' influence than direct command. The easiest way is to make people like you, by developing the interest in the other person and learning about his career aspirations/family etc..

Being genuinely interested in people pays far more benefits than a direct command structure yields.

When they treat you like a friend, it is much easier to get work done.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:54 am

hahaha....i was never such a nice guy.... i just said to the sales girl.... "why are you always in the office?" ...obviously, i was never Mr Popular.... 8-) then....the job has to be done...they paid me for it... ;)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby boonchuan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:57 am

Deleted
Last edited by boonchuan on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boonchuan

Postby winston » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Two Simple Speechmaking Techniques That Will Make All Your Business Discussions More Successful By Michael Masterson

I used to be a terrible speech giver. I hemmed. I hawed. I spoke too slowly. I rushed too fast. I mumbled. I shouted. I was terrible.

But the worst thing I did was wander off topic and get lost in my thoughts. "Where was I?" I used to ask my audiences.

I could have improved my performance by writing out and memorizing my speeches. But I never felt I had the time. And I always wanted to speak extemporaneously.

Instead, I developed two simple techniques that work well for me now:

1. In planning my speech, I stick to The Rule of One. Rather than telling the audience everything I know about a particular topic (let's say, direct-response marketing or copywriting), I select one specific idea I have about that topic (such as "The Rule of One") and stick to that. I dig up facts that support my point, anecdotes and stories that illustrate it, and testimonials to show its benefits.

2. I write and memorize the first and last sentences of the speech.

The Rule of One keeps me on topic and allows me to leave the audience with one powerful idea they can benefit from.

Memorizing the first and last sentences helps me start and end the speech strongly.

Together, they help me make presentations that command more attention, are more easily remembered, and have more persuasive power.

In the past several years, I've realized I can apply these two simple techniques to almost all of my important conversations.

If, for example, I have a meeting with a joint-venture partner, I ask myself, "What is the single most important thing I can accomplish at this meeting?" And I think about how I can achieve that objective. It usually includes learning facts to support my argument, and finding stories and examples to illustrate it.

Then I come up with a phrase I can use to broach the subject, and another phrase to end the conversation in a way that will stick in my interlocutor's mind.

Planning conversations may seem calculating at first (because it is), but once you get used to doing it you won't give it another thought. And you'll be a much more effective negotiator.

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:21 pm

thanks W... i like the article above... i too would like to speak extemporaneously, but often times, i struggle at that...

what i discovered was that if we gave ourselves a moment to collect our thoughts, before responding in any conversation, we become more articulate in expressing what we really mean...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Deliberate or Decide? By Michael Masterson

Here's a statement worth thinking about:

"The percentage of mistakes in quick decisions is no greater than in the long, drawn-out vacillations, and the effect of decisiveness itself makes things go and creates confidence."

That's from Ann O'Hare McCormick, a writer who understood how easy it is to waste time deliberating.

You need to think through important decisions. You need to seek counsel. But don't keep deliberating out of fear of not finding the perfect answer.

In making any important decision:

First, be aware of your initial, gut instinct.

Then, ask questions. But only of people whose opinions you respect and only for a predetermined period of time.

If both processes (one subconscious and instantaneous and the other conscious and calculated) point to the same answer, act without hesitation.

If they disagree, act according to your gut.

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 pm

Faster and Better Phone Calls By Michael Masterson

Important phone calls are stressful. And when you're under stress, you're not as clearheaded as you should be. The result is often an incomplete conversation. ("Damn! I should have said this." Or, "Why didn't I remember to ask that?")

Make your important phone calls more productive by briefly outlining what you need to find out and what you want to get accomplished. Keep that outline in front of you while you talk.

It's also a good idea to:

1. Start off by stating the amount of time you expect the call to take.

2. State the purpose of the call -- and make sure the other party agrees.

3. Issue a warning a few minutes before you have to get off the line.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:52 pm

whether official or personal call....nothing less than a polite greeting right at the beginning of the call is acceptable...in fact, with a sincere and warm greeting, we usually set a desirable tone for the rest of the conversation....

you can imagine the rudest call starting this way :

ring ring....ring ring....

you : hello....this is soandso

other side : hello...may i have 3 mins of your time to speak about extending your mortal life by another 10 years, without the breaking a sweat, just drink our Everlasting Life herbal drink....i'll be ending this conversation in 2mins and 45 seconds

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm

What Matters When Delegating By Michael Masterson

When delegating tasks to your team, it's important to be clear about the goal you want to achieve.

Many managers are specific about the steps to take but vague on intent. This is a mistake.

Just because you've achieved good results by following a certain procedure, don't assume that everybody who works for you must approach projects your way.

It's much more effective to make sure they understand the ultimate purpose of the job you're asking them to do, and the time and money limits attached to it. You can explain what's worked for you. But then get out of their way and let them get the job done without your constant interference.

Do you have trouble with this advice? It may be because you have trouble with delegating itself. If so, you will accomplish much less in your career than you could if you learned the value of letting your people develop their own methods.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Predict Your Future By Tom McCarthy

To accomplish great things, you have to set specific objectives. Then you must take the appropriate actions to reach your goal.

Just as important is how you think about your goal. Do you "hope" you can achieve it? Does it seem like something you'll try to do... and see what happens?

Or do you think of it as if it has already been accomplished?

To achieve the extraordinary, you need to feel that kind of certainty about it.

Use this strategy with your team. Start talking about what you want to have happen in the future as if it has already happened. You will see amazing results.

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives