Business Leadership Skills 01 (Jul 09 - Feb 13)

Business Leadership Skills 01 (Jul 09 - Feb 13)

Postby winston » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Worth Quoting: Dale Carnegie on 6 Ways to Make People Like You

"Principle 1. Become genuinely interested in other people.

Principle 2. Smile.

Principle 3. Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.

Principle 4. Be a good listener: Encourage others to talk about themselves.

Principle 5. Talk in terms of the other person's interests.

Principle 6. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely."

(Source: How to Win Friends and Influence People)
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Business Leadership Skills

Postby winston » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 pm

Too Much Enthusiasm By Matt Furey, ETR

Years ago, while I was living in California, there was a saying: "Curb your enthusiasm."

It's an important saying to know when doing business. Sometimes you can get so excited about what you're doing or offering that you make foolish decisions.

Happens all the time.

My friend Kim Wood, an NFL strength coach for 27 years, points out: "An animal on the attack is cautious almost to the point of cowardice."

Fascinating, eh?

Picture a cheetah running 70 mph after a deer or antelope. He doesn't appear to be cautious at all. Yet prior to that 70 mph burst, the cheetah had very carefully stalked his prey and scoped out the terrain. He does not simply take off on a sprint as soon as he's hungry.

So the key to enthusiasm is balance. Same with confidence.

There's confidence and over-confidence. There's enthusiasm and over-enthusiasm.

Conversely, there is under-enthusiasm and under-confidence. I think most people who are struggling fall into the "under" category. They don't need to curb their enthusiasm. They need to unleash it.

Enthusiasm for what you do and what you're attempting to do is a cornerstone of success. Without it, you cannot accomplish much. As Emerson wrote, "Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm."

At the same time, being too enthusiastic, too confident, and too positive can hurt you. It's a matter of balance.

When I was studying shuai jiao kung fu years ago, Dr. Daniel Weng once told me, "A strength overextended becomes a weakness."

How true.

And lest you think this applies only to martial arts - think again. It applies to everything you do in life. It also applies to every virtue.

Even love.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Business Leadership Skills

Postby winston » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:51 pm

The "A Prospect" Advantage by By Marc Charles, ETR

No matter what you're selling, your job will be a lot easier of you target your marketing efforts to "A" prospects. By that I mean pre-qualified buyers - people who have already purchased what you're selling. Ideally, they've done it recently (and often).

"B" prospects are people who have shown an interest in what you're selling - maybe by calling a toll-free number, sending an e-mail, or writing a letter to ask for more information. They're interested, and they've acted on that interest. That's great.

But they're not nearly as valuable to you as "A" prospects.

Where do you find these primo prospects?

First, go to your own list of buyers. Always target them when you create a new product similar to one they've bought from you before. Then go directly to a company that has successfully sold products like yours. Rent their mailing lists. Their buyers should respond well to your offer.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Success University (Feb 09 - Aug 09)

Postby iam802 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:11 am

McKinsey has a number of interviews with various leaders on how they are managing the transition during these periods.

Note:
You may need to be registered to read it.

====

McKinsey conversations with global leaders: Jeroen van der Veer of Shell
http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Energy ... Shell_2410

McKinsey conversations with global leaders: Dan Vasella of Novartis
http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Strate ... artis_2401

McKinsey conversations with global leaders: John Chambers of Cisco
http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Strate ... Cisco_2400
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:49 am

Many years ago, I read the above book. Ever since that day, I have been using the priciples in there to make any important decisions eg. whenever I change jobs ( 4 companies and many internal transfers ), when I change country of residence ( 5 so far ) , to evaluate investments opportuniities etc.

The book is based on using both your Head and your Heart to make decisions:-

Using Your Head ( Logic )

1) Write down what is your objective and prioritize them. What do you intend to achieve by choosing that path ?

Example: If you are thinking of changing jobs, write down what you want by choosing the new path:-
1) Increased Compensation of 50%
2) More understanding Boss
3) Better growth opportunities
etc.

2) Think of your options

Example:-
1) Stay in present job
2) Accept job offer at Company A
3) Continue to look for a job
etc..

3) For all of your options, think about the consequences. If you chose that path, what will happen. And what else will happen. And what else can happen. How does the decision affect you and the people affected by that decision ?

After you have done the above, make a tentative decision and sit on it as long as possible. Thereafter, check on that tentative decision using your HEART.

Using Your Heart

1) After choosing your tentative option, ask yourself whether you trust yourself. Do you have all the info to make that decision ? If not, where can you get the info ?

2) Ask yourself whether the decision feels good.

3) Does that decision meets all of your objectives that you have written on Step#1 of "Using your Head" - what are your objectives ?

Example:- If you want a more understanding boss and you are getting another type A boss, why are you changing jobs ?

Hoped the above is useful to some of you. I would strongly recommend that you read the above book. It has served me very well throughout the years.

Take care,
Winston
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Many years ago, I was sent to the UK twice, to attend some courses on Presentation Skills, Selling Skills, Accounts Management, Negotiation Skills etc. www.boulden.net

I enjoyed those courses very much and till today, I'm still using some of those stuff that I learnt there.

If you are starting out in the corporate world, I would strongly advise that you also try to attend similar Business Leadership Skill courses ...
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:36 pm

And if you running your own company, always have two groups of people:-
1) Business Development guys
2) Risk Management guys

The BD guys have the ability to give you alot of BS why turkeys can fly and it's always very easy to be swayed by this guys. And to balance things out, you also need another group of "devils advocate" to bring you back to earth...

======================================

Do You Really Need Bean Counters?

"What's that guy do for you?" My physical therapist asked, referring to a senior executive with one of the companies I consult for.

"He's a CFO," I said.

"A bean counter?"

"The main bean counter."

"He seems sort of straight-laced and stubborn," he said.

"He is," I said. "And for a man in his job, that's a positive."

I explained that every business needs an assortment of personalities. You need a thinker to conjure up product and marketing ideas, a marketer to make sales, and a pusher to get everything moving.

But thinkers, marketers, and pushers tend to be bullish by nature. They need someone to hold them back a little, especially during times like these. That's the bean counter -- the kind of guy who can stand up to them and say, "We are spending too much" or "We have to look at this from a cost/benefit perspective."

Source: ETR
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Training Your Employees for the Big Race By Michael Masterson

One of the most important business skills is almost never talked about. It is speed.

In Ready, Fire, Aim, I explain that the faster you get good ideas to the marketplace, the better your chances of succeeding. And the faster you can get almost anything done, the less it will cost you.

You don't want to sacrifice quality for speed. But you don't want to slow things down to get them "perfect" either.

As the boss, one of your challenges is create a culture of speed. Let your employees know that moving quickly and efficiently is an important part of their jobs.

One way to keep the office humming: Give your employees short deadlines. If you give them generous deadlines, the work will expand to fit the time allotted.

If your business often deals with lengthy projects, periodically train your employees for the "long race" by having them do some "sprints." I'm not just talking about daily or weekly milestones within an extended project. I mean short tasks that can be completed in several hours or a day.

Afterward, you'll probably find that the pace of their "regular work" will be just a bit livelier.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:10 am

business leadership skills???

only one counts.....

vision and ability to execute...

every thing else....bullshit
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:20 am

winston wrote:
One way to keep the office humming: [b]Give your employees short deadlines. If you give them generous deadlines, the work will expand to fit the time allotted.

I actually dont agree with the above.

I want my staff to be running consistently at 80%. And when things are tight, I expect them to be running at 120%. If they are running at 100% all the time, they will break down. They will get sick from the stress. They will lose interest. And they will be looking for another job that's less stressful..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Next

Return to Archives