Aspellian's Garden

Re: Aspellian's Garden

Postby kennynah » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 pm

u wana be a complete student of canslim method, you must accept that "buy high and selling higher" is the way to go.... second guessing it, is to accept some and throw away others in O'Neil's method. this wont do...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:15 pm

kennynah wrote:u wana be a complete student of canslim method, you must accept that "buy high and selling higher" is the way to go.... second guessing it, is to accept some and throw away others in O'Neil's method. this wont do...

Kenny-bro,

thanks for your advice. I know me being a novice of CANSLIM, i am really struggling (mental block :oops: ) on "buy-high-sell-higher". Its a bit against the nature of my prior teachings - Buy low sell high!!

But i know i need to have faith of my new beliefs and i will be well rewarded. Cheers!

Let the kites fly higher and higher as far as the wind will carry them in this bright and shiny days!

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Aspellian wrote:Dark clouds blown away. Weatherman not accurate - but what can we do if the prediction not right? Of cos we dun argue with the sky. at most scold the weatherman, but hey - at least he's right 2/3 of times.

Putting raincoats on standby. Going out to fly kite liao - sunny day... <but still got dark clouds on the horizon, (distribution days still high)> - raincoats always on standby.

market hitting 100points this week?
lucky i have taken off my raincoat. Otherwise i will either feel like a complete idoit amongst the herd. Either that or i will not feel anything as i would have already fainted/in coma from the heatstroke (through wearing raincoat in bright and sunny day).
:D

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

The past one year has break my pride and ego, making me into a better person and investor.

My key lessons of past one year are as follows (in order of importance for first 3):

- dun be greedy : never leverage/borrow to invest :– it will impair your judgement and one will be a slave to greed

- Market timing is very important; invest with wind behind your sail; dun be garang and swim against the tide. When tide turns, get out of market

- Always cut loss eg. 7% of purchase price – market has again shown you that you buy at the wrong time or the stock is a rotten apple, why go against the market? (again)

- Never average down; market has already shown you are wrong, why must you go against the market??

- Let your profits run!

- Multi-baggers are formed during uptrend; Multi-beggers are formed holding stocks through downtrend

- Invest in growth stocks to have max impact (eg. Revenue and profits growing at >50%)

- Buying at right time is important (eg. Price/volume action when market in uptrend)

- Market down, short market.

- Be humble, not overcofident and arrogant - Heaven will humble you hard. **

- Life and investment lessons never end - be an attentive student always. **

- Control your emotions at all times <stick to your plan> **

** added these points after great advice from the brothers here. ;)

I will invest based on these principles from now onwards!! Thank God I learnt something after all the trials. I will be humble and learn more new things.
:lol:
Last edited by Aspellian on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aspellian
Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Aspellian wrote: Invest in growth stocks to have max impact (eg. Revenue and profits growing at >50%)

Hi Aspellian,

It's very difficult to find companies that are growing at 50%. Sometimes, the books are also cooked as well :P. I'm happy with just a 25% growth company that has a sound Business Model, with margins of > 15%.

Take care, Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 pm

winston wrote:
Aspellian wrote: Invest in growth stocks to have max impact (eg. Revenue and profits growing at >50%)

Hi Aspellian,

It's very difficult to find companies that are growing at 50%. Sometimes, the books are also cooked as well :P. I'm happy with just a 25% growth company that has a sound Business Model, with margins of > 15%.

Take care, Winston

I do agree with you. I also like to invest in growth companies that have new sexy story to sell to investors! to increase probability of share price increasing. ;)
eg. new overseas markets (Middle East, Australia), new business units, new management, new IRs etc etc

Aspellian
Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 pm

I will invest based on these principles from now onwards!! Thank God I learnt something after all the trials. I will be humble and learn more new things.

above is a great awakening that happens to everyone who is serious about trading/investing... and perhaps this may come as a surprise to you... and not meant to be a party pooper... in this game, the trials never end ... i say this becos, you will (i can almost guarantee you) again find yourself in difficult situations from time to time.. the key is not to give up...but to hone the skills even more....

if you begin thinking you have had all the lessons, then this is one lesson you have not yet learnt...the lesson that there is alot more to playing this market then simply getting the theories right...

this is a constant challenge for me too... the market has hardly given me a break all these while...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby OE2008 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Aspellian wrote:The past one year has break my pride and ego, making me into a better person and investor.

My key lessons of past one year are as follows (in order of importance for first 3):

- dun be greedy : never leverage/borrow to invest :– it will impair your judgement and one will be a slave to greed

- Market timing is very important; invest with wind behind your sail; dun be garang and swim against the tide. When tide turns, get out of market

- Always cut loss eg. 7% of purchase price – market has again shown you that you buy at the wrong time or the stock is a rotten apple, why go against the market? (again)

- Never average down; market has already shown you are wrong, why must you go against the market??

- Let your profits run!

- Multi-baggers are formed during uptrend; Multi-beggers are formed holding stocks through downtrend

- Invest in growth stocks to have max impact (eg. Revenue and profits growing at >50%)

- Buying at right time is important (eg. Price/volume action when market in uptrend)

- Market down, short market.

:lol:

A,

You deserve an A*Star for outlining the above.

One thing missing though is, I believe, the single most important factor in determining overall success.
It is in managing your own emotion. Each man/women has to kill his/her own snakes when it comes to making market decisions. In the market, it is all about probabilities as we are not dealing with certainty. The choices are easy on paper only. Many a time, one will be confronted with questions such as is it too late to sell (obviously already late if you have to ask this question but is it too late taking losses) or is it too late to buy (the market has gone up so much?) Would I appear stupid to sell only to watch the market makes mega spike upwards (TM made that comment in his posting). Or what would I do if market takes dive after I bought the breakout? How would one manages these questions and deal with their them. Making mistakes are part and parcel of investing but can you stay on top of the problem faced with consecutive mistakes? Tough questions. I have the answer in theory only. Take many small losses, easy said than done.

I am still trying to manage my emotion. As a self assessment, I currently have an E minus :x. as good as F.
OE2008
Loafer

Postby kennynah » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 pm

I am still trying to manage my emotion. As a self assessment, I currently have an E minus :x. as good as F...

E minus = Excellent - (already berry good)...

F = Formidable... (this is the equivalent of XO grading of durians in the trading sphere)

u berry berry good.... 8-)

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi A,

Many years ago I saw the following quote:
"Whoever the gods wants to destroy, they first make him confident" :p
Good Luck!
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives