Engineering

Engineering

Postby winston » Sun May 24, 2009 7:07 am

It's Fun to Know: About Tunnels
The world's longest underwater tunnel (at 31 miles) is the Chunnel, which links France and England beneath the English Channel. It's been open for 15 years.

The world's soon-to-be longest tunnel (at 34.5 miles) is in the Swiss Alps. It will be ready for trains in 2017.

Meanwhile, New York City is in the process of replacing its crumbling aqueduct infrastructure (made up of tunnels that carry water). The new system will be 60 miles of tunnels between 10 and 24 feet wide. Started in the 1970s, the project is expected to be completed by 2020.

(Source: Discover Magazine)
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Engineering

Postby kennynah » Sun May 24, 2009 5:36 pm

with global warming threatening to melt the polar ice caps at a faster rate, singapore will then become sinkapore... :mrgreen:

maybe i should start squatting at Bukit Timah hill top.... after 10 - 20 years...i can declare precious land to be mine....wahahahhahahaha...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm

It's Fun to Know: The Firefighting Jumbo Jet

When wildfires are raging, they are often fought by firefighters on the ground, as well as by tanker planes and helicopters dropping flame-retardant material. But now, there is a new weapon in the firefighting arsenal: a 747 that's been modified by Evergreen Aviation International to spray 20,500 gallons of water on a fire with specially made high-pressure nozzles. That's eight times the capacity of current tanker planes.

Wow!

(Source: Popular Science)
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun May 08, 2011 3:05 pm

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Will this also end up like the Maglev in Shanghai ? ( where HSBC estimates that it will take 200 years to break-even ).

China's Jiaozhou Bay Bridge

China's enormous span is longer than a marathon in length and cost more than a billion dollars.

This photo taken Wednesday, June 29, 2011 released by China's Xinhua news agency shows the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province. China opened Thursday, June 30, 2011, the world's longest cross-sea bridge, which is 42 kilometers (26 miles) long and links China's eastern port city of Qingdao to an offshore island, Huangdao.

(AP Photo/Xinhua, Yan Runbo)

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/photos/china-s ... slideshow/
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:38 am

Engineers

One day, a Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Chemical Engineer and Computer Engineer were driving down the street in the same car.

All of a sudden, the car broke down.

The Mechanical Engineer said, "I think a rod broke."

The Chemical Engineer said, "The way it sputtered at the end, I don't think it's getting gas."

The Electrical Engineer said, "I think there was a spark and something is wrong with the electrical system."

All three turned to the computer engineer and said, "What do you think?"

The Computer Engineer said, "I think we should all get out and get back in."
winston
Billionaire Boss

Return to Archives