Books 02 (Nov 08 - Nov 09)

Re: Books (Nov 08 - Jul 09)

Postby sidney » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:03 pm

winston wrote:Ha Ha.. When I attended the Silva Course, it did opened my mind to a lot of other things eg. Synchronicity ( meaningful coincidenes ).

Also Tony Robbins did use NLP in his tapes. I used to listen to his tapes diligently in my younger days ...

Hi San San, I read NLP before (but did not praticed it as i read it when i had short attention span on book previously), i remembered some key concepts they present.. like the map is not the territory and also anchoring specific events to achieve the outcome you wanted. NLP seems to be tapping on powers of the mind because imagination is a powerful tool...
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby iam802 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 am

Just read:

==
Bootstrapping Your Business: Start and Grow a Successful Company with Almost No Money
by Greg Gianforte (Author), Marcus Gibson (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Bootstrapping-You ... 362&sr=8-2

Note:
Greg Gianforte is the founder of RightNow (RNOW) which I have posted on before.
==

I will give it maybe 3 starts out of 5. Maybe it is because I am reading it again (I can't remember when I read it the first time round....I am sure I have read portion of it many years back ...)

For those thinking of starting a business, the book introduce you to the idea of bootstrapping (in other words, start with little or no cash).

In my opinion, this forces you to face the reality that the business exists to make money. Simply, where is the 'sales'? If there is no sales, then it does not matter how great your product, or service is.

Other areas of bootstrapping revolves around cost control and not spending till the sales revenue allows you to do so.

Available at the library.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:07 am

the best bootsrap business people are the whores standing along geylang... they come with minimal or borrowed money... they are forced to sell their services if they are to pay their rent and feed themselves here... so, they become very acutely aware of their need to survive...

imo, serious businessmen, need to learn this from them... the NEED to survive...

many of us, wont start any business until, we know we have at least 6 - 12 months of operational cushion; ie, we begin thinking about failing even before our plan hits the road... like dat, how to succeed....???
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: Books (Nov 08 - Aug 09)

Postby millionairemind » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Wrapped up on the book The Armchair Economist By Steven E Landsburg. I enjoyed his more recent book More Sex is Safer Sex which was the reason Y I borrowed this book.

It belongs to the group of books which I always enjoyed, using Economics to explain every day enigma. Books such as The Undercover Economist, More Sex is safer sex, The logic of life, freakconomics will fall under this category.

However, this book was quite the disappointment, considering how much I enjoyed the book More Sex is Safer Sex. Perhaps it was written back in 1995 and the writing style of the author economist hasn't matured, or tailored for layman readers like me.

At times, I find his argument hard to follow and he babbles on.

I highly recommend Freakconomics if you have the time.

This book is available from NLB.

Currently halfway thro' The Joy of Not Working and waiting for Outliers :D
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:12 pm

I've thumbed thru almost half of this book and gleaned some very good points from it.
It's available from OnePage, the bookstore at VivoCity. Some 4 months ago, I asked them to import this book from Beijing:

http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp/478-5 ... bkbk834200
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:43 pm

August 5, 2009, 10.57 am (Singapore time)

Sony plans US$199 e-reader, takes on Amazon

LOS ANGELES - Sony Corp will begin selling this month the cheapest digital book reader for the United States, heating up the competition with Amazon.com in the small but fast-growing market for electronic readers.

Sony plans to start selling its 5-inch-screen Reader Pocket Edition at US$199 - which it called a breakthrough price - and a larger touchscreen reader for US$299, through nationwide retail outlets such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

To drive demand, the company plans to reduce the price it now charges for downloads of best-sellers and new releases to US$9.99 from US$11.99, bringing prices in largely in line with Amazon's.

Analysts say people that may have been holding off in the middle of a recession may be tempted by Sony to jump onto the digital-reader bandwagon.

'Achieving the US$199 price point, we believe, expands the market dramatically,' Steve Haber, president of Sony's Digital Reading division, told Reuters in an interview.

'You can throw it in your bag and always have it with you, and that also allowed us to achieve a more affordable price point.'

The news is the latest salvo in a battle between digital readers where Sony - which was first to market - Amazon and other companies are vying to establish themselves in a market that they expect to become a profit driver.

In July, online retailer Amazon cut the price of its standard Kindle electronic reader by 17 per cent to $299. A larger version of the Kindle sells at US$489.

Mr Haber expects the market for e-readers to exceed 2 million units this year in the United States. Forrester Research estimates Kindle and the Sony Reader to hit the one million mark in US sales by the end of 2008 and forecast that the market would reach two million units in 2009.

'We're on track to exceed that forecast in 2009,' said Sarah Rotman Epps, a media analyst for Forrester Research. 'One of the drivers for that (future growth) is the fact that Sony is getting a product out at US$199.'

'We predicted that wouldn't happen until next year. They've managed to design an inexpensive device that doesn't feel cheap and that's going to have significant impact in the market.'

While digital readers are convenient for avid book readers on the go and those who travel frequently, their high prices have been a barrier to many.

In recent research, Forrester found that 13 per cent of US online consumers thought US$199 was an 'affordable splurge': a price that was expensive but that they would consider. Of consumers planning to buy a digital reader in the next six months, 26 per cent said US$199 was within reach.

Electronic readers allow consumers to read books, magazines or newspapers on a tablet-like device that downloads content digitally.

Comparisons with Amazon's Kindle will be inevitable.

Sony's more expensive new device, called the Reader Touch Edition, offers users a touch screen like its older PRS-700, but at US$299 it is US$50 cheaper. It also comes with a built-in dictionary that, with a tap on a word, pops up the word's definition. It also allows users to take notes with a virtual keyboard or attached stylus.

But unlike the Kindle, none of Sony's devices old or new will have wireless connectivity, meaning users will have to download books first to their personal computers or Apple Mac computers - which Sony now supports.

Mr Haber said Sony was looking into building wireless capability into future readers, but would not give details or a timeframe.

Another major area of divergence is the closed system of sharing in the industry.

In Amazon's case, titles bought through its Kindle Store can be read on the Kindle but also Apple's iPhone or iPod Touch - but not the Sony Reader.

Barnes & Noble's titles, meanwhile, are accessible on Apple devices and Research in Motion Ltd's Blackberry, but not on the Kindle or Sony Reader.

And titles from Sony's store can only be played on the company's own reader.

Mr Haber said he hopes the industry will move to a common format and common digital rights management, but stopped short of saying Sony will try to make its titles compatible with other devices.

'It's like physical books. You can buy physical books from any store that you want and use it in any room in your home you want,' Mr Haber said. -- REUTERS
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 pm

Let me speculate.

The next will be Apple. They will come out with a 10" device that does similar things (or more).

Using the same strategy...content will be delivered through iTunes
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Dan Loeb's Recommended Investing Books

For those of you who didn't catch Third Point hedge fund manager Daniel Loeb in the video we posted yesterday, we wanted to post up Loeb's investment book recommendations. He says that, "everybody has to read" the following books:

- Edwin Lefevre's Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. Loeb says this is a classic and we definitely agree, as it has graced our recommended reading lists before. This book takes you inside the mind of a trader and provides you with insight, wisdom, and anecdotes from the financial world. "Let your winners run and cut your losses quickly" as well as "the trend is your friend" are legendary pieces of advice to come out of this book.

- Joel Greenblatt's You Can Be a Stock Market Genius. Dan mentioned that this is, "probably the best book ever." It details the niches of risk arbitrage, spin-offs, bankruptcies, mergers and the like as it relates to investing. Citing that these areas are often 'overlooked' by analysts, Greenblatt argues that you can exploit inefficencies. Loeb certainly agrees with that as Third Point's investment style is often centered around these types of strategies.

- Howard Shilit's Financial Shenanigans. This book takes an in-depth look at accounting fraud and how to identify warning signs of a company's impending problems. Obviously this book makes sense for anyone looking at balance sheets, 10-Q's and 10K's on a regular basis.

- Kathryn Staley's The Art of Short Selling. Loeb calls this "another good book" and he is not the only hedge fund manager that thinks so. In the past, we've covered Blue Ridge Capital's recommended reading lists and The Art of Short Selling was one of their top picks on the analytical side of things. This book covers a topic essential to those in the hedge fund game.

While that wraps up Loeb's favorite investing and finance reads, he did mention he had another favorite "non-investing" book. Jim Loehr's The Power of Story piqued his interest, as the book deals with how you can "change your destiny in business and in life." Hopefully you all enjoyed this collection of Dan's favorite reads, as there are definitely some good ones listed.

http://www.marketfolly.com/2009/08/dan- ... books.html
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Finished The Joy of NOT Working by Ernie Zelinski. Pretty interesting book.

I enjoyed the book and it challenges the conventional wisdom of retiring at 65 to enjoy leisure. Just in case one dismisses this, it talks about things like trading down instead of trading up (like most Singaporeans do) and that the best things in life are essentially free.

If you are in retirement, or near retirement, it could be a good read. :D

Here's a summary I found on the web.
Hidden Content:
The Joy of Not Working - Book Review

The Joy of Not Working – A Book for the Retired, Unemployed, and Overworked by Ernie J. Zelinski is about how to enjoy not working. The author lost his job at the age of 29 and decided to embark on a new career as a “creative loafer”. While he never intended the fictitious job to be permanent, he now professes to be a “connoisseur of leisure”. For the past 30 plus years he has devoted his time and talents to helping people learn to enjoy a life of leisure.

Are you so caught up with your career that you have little time for family? Are you so stressed from work that you have forgotten how to enjoy life? Do you let your boss or co-workers run your life? If your answer is yes to any of these questions, then The Joy of Not Working has chapters which will help you to get back on the right track and put life back into perspective.

While on the surface, the book is quite entertaining, it is actually very thought provoking. It asks questions which guide you through a self assessment on your way of thinking, your habits and issues so that you can see that you need to relax and learn to live a less stressful life. One of my favorite exercises in the book is the “Get a Life Tree”. The author lists 300 activities which you can do to enjoy a moment of leisure. It includes such activities as learning to be a child again, meditating, or visiting the library. You are then instructed to separate and rank the items between those that you have done in the past and those that you would like to do. This reminds me of the movie “The Bucket List”. After you have ranked the items, Zelinski challenges you to “out do” him by expanding the list by another 200 activities that you can do in order to “get a life”. Readers will find this very challenging because the list he has created is pretty comprehensive.

There is also a chapter in the book written specifically for those who are unemployed. It challenges you to take an honest and realistic look at your previous jobs. The instructions are to write a list of everything that you disliked about your job. The list could be about management, the company, your supervisor or anything else that you did not like. The purpose is to actually give you a list of reasons why you should be thankful that you are no longer there. I found that to be a interesting way of creating logic. The point is that if you're unemployed, you should not be sitting around reminiscing about a job that you did not like in the first place.

Like most books dealing with being out of work, The Joy of Not Working is not a quick read. It's filled with exercises and activities to help you to learn about you. It's filled with funny quotes, letters, poems and stories that provide constant entertainment. I would recommend this book if you are interested in a self help book that will help you learn to appreciate the art of leisure.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11991.asp

millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Finished the book To A Child, LOVE Is Spelled T-I-M-E . A easy to read book on parenting with short essays and stories to warm the heart.

Here is a short clip made from the first story in the book, which led me to read up on the book. Sit thro' this 3min clip and you will realize what we adults think is important/unimportant is totally different from a child's point of view.
http://www.tacmovie.com/

You might enjoy this book review below and the book is available from NLB. Good read/reminder on what is most important in a parent's life.

Hidden Content:
Book Review: To A Child LOVE Is Spelled TIME
By Angela D Watkins

Book Review. Love is one investment that will never fail you. Children are priceless.

A couple of years ago I did review books on a voluntary basis for Thomas Nelson Publishing and now I reveiw Time Warner Book Group books.

This book is a precious jewel. It will remind you that children are most important.

The best gift you can give a child is to tell them that you love them and to express that love. Love is one investment that will never fail you.

Love is a mighty power. Never let the lines of communication be cut between you and your child(ren).

Something that really touched my heart: There was a business man and his son named Jimmy, both of them had kept journals. In the Daddy's journal he recorded: wasted the whole day fishing with Jimmy. Didn't catch a thing. The business man read his son journal: Went fishing with my dad. Best day of my life.

I will share some things that you will be reminded of:

Your little girl will always be your little girl and your boy will always be your precious boy.

Children are priceless.

The world may be different because I was important to the life of a child.

Listening is most important, learn to listen with your heart.

To one person you might just be the world.

Your son needs to know that you are his biggest fan in life and your daughter needs to know that you see her as a winner because of who she is, not because she achieved something.

The most important things in life aren't things.

Laugh and play with your child(ren). Enjoy your child(ren).

Children depend on you.

Yes, Parents might make mistakes and we know it, and our child(ren) might know it. Something to think about: admitting our mistake and asking for forgiveness teaches our child(ren) honesty and keeps the doors of communication open.

Mac Anderson and Lance Wubbels are the authors of the book that I am sharing my thoughts on.

Mac Anderson is the founder of Successories, Inc., the leader in designing and marketing products for motivation and recognition.

Lance Wubbels is presently the vice president of literary development at Koechel Peterson and Associates, Inc. in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

millionairemind
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives