Dialects

Re: Dialects

Postby kennynah » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:44 pm

802: what then did you think L meant when she said "soak up oil" ?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:47 pm

I just could not figure out the canto version for it. The mind was blank.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby blid2def » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:44 pm

For those who still can't grasp it...

http://wenda.tianya.cn/wenda/thread?tid ... 781d9a1e29

博懵,读搏(bog,中入声)梦(mung,阴上声)。也作“索油”、“揩油”。男性想在行为过程中在女性身上沾些小便宜。通常为女性指责男性时用,例:“冇雷公咁远你都伸只脚埋嚟,博懵啊?!”(隔了打雷闪电那么远的距离你的脚都伸过来,沾什么小便宜啊?!)
  乘公共汽车一类较拥挤的公共场所,偶尔可听到一声娇叱:“博懵啊?!”

听多了,知道“博懵”是男性的行动专利和女性的语言专利,属于作用力和反作用力的关系。也有女性把这一口头禅称之为“索油”,意为男性可在该行为过程中沾上些小便宜,诸如借肌肤接触之机揩上些脂粉之类。我以为,“博懵”之说,更显当事人在主观动机上或曰审美意义上的意识驱动。

据《新华字典》所解:“博”为“用自己的行动换取”;“懵”为“糊涂,不明白事理”。人挤人时,确有“不明白事理”之男士试图借机会释放身体中的荷尔蒙,“用自己的行动换取”一时之快感。广东的靓女敢于提醒对方“博”不过,这就保证了公共场所这一角不至于伤风败俗。究其实,靓女中也有“不明白事理”者,她们往往不考虑实际情况而偏爱无事生非。因公共汽车急刹车而无意“博懵”的男士,因那一声娇叱而莫名其妙地被摆到了十分尴尬的位置,方知:做男人难!

要说明的是,若属于公众场合中动手动脚的不雅、不轨行为,则绝不能与“博懵”混为一谈。
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:50 am

wah liao....can some one say the above in english or translate into hokkien????? i cant get past the 1st word of the passage above... "buo" is the 1st character....and then...i am lost from then 2nd word onwards....

thought this thread is "dialects"....

wah liao eh......
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:00 am

Been watching lots of Taiwanese variety shows lately, and have been listening to some very nice Hokkien songs (though I don't really remember their titles). Anyway, Hokkien songs tend to give folks an impression of having a very strong "江湖味" (eh... "underworld entertainment feel"?), and so are snubbed by some (or a lot of?) people.

However, there are a number of songs which are actually very nice & touching, without that "江湖味" feel. Like some Teochew songs, and Sam Hui's Cantonese songs, these songs tend to have stronger association with aspects of life other than romance.

To kick-start, here's something from 蕭煌奇 - a blind Taiwanese singer. He has powerful and unique vocals, and he carries emotions through his voice really well (as in this song, and in another one: 你是我的眼, a Chinese song).

Here, if you've always been snubbing Hokkien (or any other dialect) songs, give this one a try.

蕭煌奇: 阿嬤的話

Embedded videos have been disabled.
Click to view video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXeMIkS18Ck
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 am

dialect thread....i give u one kuat one

kong simi L*n Che*w

we understand each other? :?:

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:27 am

GR - tks.. the song is indeed soulful.

I always tot Hokkien songs were crude... so when I was a teenager, I only listened to Rock/heavy metal Music (pop worship + rebel without a cause).

My introduction to Taiwanese songs was thro' a singer called 黃乙玲 - 無字的情批 when I lived in Taiwan. Since then, I kind of fell in love with Taiwanese songs. Listening to the lyrics can bring tears to your eyes.. esp. if you just ended a relationship.

Embedded videos have been disabled.
Click to view video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70G_vHg5FPg
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby blid2def » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 am

Oh yeah, MM - great recommendation. I heard that sung by some contestants in the Taiwanese talent search competitions (they really have an eye for unearthing talented semi-pro's). Yeah, go Youtube search for 黃乙玲 - wah so many songs, sng bei liao. Hahaha...
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Those couples who can speak dialects, do you speak it between yourselves if you don't want your kids to understand what you are trying to say?

Both my wife and I are Hokkiens, we use it between us if we do not want the boy to understand what we are trying to say. I tot it was quite fun till I found out quite recently that he has kind of figured out what we were saying.. :D

The funny part has always been we use it while walking along Orchard Road or strolling in the shopping malls and ppe. look at you as if you are uneducated..haha...

I feel that dialects should be allowed a comeback as I see so many young children unable to communicate with their grand parents, quite sad indeed... Many grandparents attempted to learn Mandarin but unfortunately, many kids nowadays "hate" chinese :(
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:05 pm

It should never have been 'gone' in the first place. It is our heritage.

The coolies, samsui woman, trishaw (or is it rickshaw??), rubber tappers etc. How they help lay the foundation one step at a time.

Or in the case of samsui woman, one brick at a time.

Having said that, I am guilty for not communicating to my kid in Canto.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives