Education 01 (Aug 08 - Aug 09)

Education 01 (Aug 08 - Aug 09)

Postby la papillion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi huatopedians, don't mind if I use this little space to discuss my thoughts on education? Some of the things I discussed cannot be mentioned in my personal blogs as parents/students might see it. Not that I mind them reading, but I would rather they not see it. As such, I'm bursting with thoughts...if I still don't blogged it out, think I'll explode :)

-------------------------

Education need not be just things to do with academic studies. It's more about discovering oneself. Unfortunately, in Singapore, it seems like the education system is more like machines to churn out moulds of workers with no fire nor passion to live their lives fully. In the past, MOE had their motto as 'moulding the future of singapore' (something like that), haha, but I couldn't find that now. Maybe they tore it off due to bad publicity :)

Instead of discovering oneself through education, it seems like in local context, education is about redefining what we can and cannot do. When we're in primary school, we all have to go through the mandatory 'What are we going to be when we grow up?' kind of questions. I bet most will say astronauts, businessman, artist, singer, superman, batman or what not. When the same question is asked in tertiary institutions, a blank stare is more likely. What happened in the years in between primary school to tertiary level? Did our education system crushed our curiosity? I know some of my students wanted to be doctors, then they realised that they cannot make the grades so they can't be one. I can imagine a fictional primary student wanting to be an artist too, at least until the teachers saw the artwork that he/she did and mentioned carelessly that he/she should never draw again.

I'll just leave this advice for everyone: There are enough people in the world telling us what we cannot do. Let us be the lonely and supportive voice that would tell them that yes, they can do it, don't give up, pick yourself up and try again! You'll never know how far your beacon of light will shine the way ahead for them and how many lives will be changed!
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Re: Education

Postby millionairemind » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 pm

La pap,

You are welcome to start any topic you want in Huatopedia ;)

In general, my 2cts take of our education system is that it has changed too much in the last 30 years. When I was growing up (not so old lah) and studying in Primary school, one always have time to think, explore and play games with neighbours.

Nowadays, all the kids ever do is just go from one tuition class to the next. From swimming to piano to math whiz class to phonics to I can read... the list never ends.

When kids are so crammed with so much activities day in day out, it stifles their natural creativity and curiosity and kills their enthusiasm for learning.

My wife used to be a full time teacher. But now she only teaches relief teaching a couple of days a week cos' she did not agree with the way our education system has been transformed. Every1 is looking at school ranking and every principle in every school zone knows that one of them will get a D.. so there is mad scramble to get their rankings up...and dreaming up ways to get their school featured on the evening news.

We need to encourage our kids to take more risks... dream more... be inspired... Y should every1 fit the mould of go to school, get good grades, get a scholarship if possible, work, climb the corporate ladder, get married to another graduate, have 2.1 kids :P, live in a condo, drive a toyota and have a maid??? haha.. the Singapore mould.

But then again, it takes alot of courage to break out of the system.... trust me, I know....:D

Just my random tots to your posts..

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby helios » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm

my dear,

i admire what you are doing. so, don't give it up!

whatever your heart go and sing with it.

there is a TED video, by Ken Robinson, he says: Do schools kill creativity?

actually, in 1 of our grassroots activity, we shared this video [message] among the youths ... & it was a beautiful sunday whereby all our us interacted with the polys, universities, secondaries peers ...

hope you enjoy!

Source: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_ ... ivity.html
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby sidney » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 pm

While everyone has equal opportunities, everyone has different abilities. Unfortunate the gauge for our abilities is academic-based. In our edu context if you ain't got good grades, then can't be doctors. No good A level results = no NUS = no doctor degree. I dun see any corelation between getting As in maths, history and arts to being a doctor, for example.

Therefore many ppl lost a part of themselves when they resigned at lost opportunities.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

what other solution/s to replace the current grade-oriented format to gauge of a person's mental capabilities ?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby la papillion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:05 pm

kennynah wrote:what other solution/s to replace the current grade-oriented format to gauge of a person's mental capabilities ?

No solutions :/
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:14 pm

same thoughts.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby sidney » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Can reality-based internship like donald trump's work? The weaker will get kick out when tested on non-acedemic abliities??
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:31 pm

sure...can always try....

oh...graduating medical students do perform housemenships... no good, also fail...no doctor license.. i think no donald trump in hospitals...but still a reality test...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby la papillion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 pm

San San wrote:my dear,

i admire what you are doing. so, don't give it up!

whatever your heart go and sing with it.

there is a TED video, by Ken Robinson, he says: Do schools kill creativity?

actually, in 1 of our grassroots activity, we shared this video [message] among the youths ... & it was a beautiful sunday whereby all our us interacted with the polys, universities, secondaries peers ...

hope you enjoy!

Source: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_ ... ivity.html

Thks san, for the wonderful link! I love it :) He is quite an inspiration to all who worked with youths :)
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Next

Return to Archives