Movies & Moviestars 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Re: Movies

Postby la papillion » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:45 am

San introduced me to this short movie:

Embedded videos have been disabled.
Click to view video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUEg7TZhiQ&eurl=

It's really a short movie (4:03), and it's a million times better than most thai flicks i've seen, despite it's length. It's the blending of music and moving stills that creates such an emotive force within me that I get goose bumps every time I saw this. And I've watched it at least five times. There is really only one sound track in this short film, it's none other than Bach's Canon in D. The movie blends in the touching parts of the film with the touching parts of the song, creating an emotive resonance that can only be amplified by the melancholic nature of the violin and piano. There is only around 4 lines of spoken dialogue, but like the classical piece without lyrics, the movie without dialogue makes one focus on the emotional aspects of the film. Climatic scenes are punctuated with short and sharp jabs of the violin. Violent scenes are accompanied by the jarbled and forceful piano song (i don't know which piece is that, can anyone trained in such music kindly enlighten?).

I really like the scene when the camera pans slowly to the broken violin, made to work one last time using scotch tape. The song slowly sinks into your emotions, which is then followed by the quick stabbing of the violin and ends abruptly. Amazing!

Do notice the butterfly towards the end. I think that's what san is show me :)

The butterfly breaks out of the chrysalis, which is the cocoon like thing that a caterpillar wraps itself during the first stage of the metamorphosis. When it breaks out of this cocoon, the caterpillar changes structurally, to the extent that one cannot see any similarities between the former and present self. I suppose that that is why the short film puts a butterfly towards the end. It shows both the metamorphism undergone by the girl as she reaches new height in her music (she finally understand what it means by music being 'visible'), as well as the main purpose of the short film - to sell more bottles of pantene chrysalis.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby helios » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:21 pm

yo,

pappy, you write better than the agency brief leh ... perhaps, you should be in the advertising industry, árt director? ... ho ho ...

what I like about this film (Advert) is that it does not have a sales spiel ... & you only see the patene label at the ending ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Saw "Behind Enemy Lines" again a few days ago. Seen it three times but only bits and pieces here and there...

Starring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman.

============================

Behind Enemy Lines (2001)

Fighter navigator Chris Burnett wants out: he was looking for something more than the boring recon missions he's been flying. He finds himself flying the lone Christmas day mission over war-torn Bosnia. But when he talks pilot Stackhouse into flying slightly off-course to check out an interesting target, the two get shot down. Burnett is soon alone, trying to outrun a pursuing army, while commanding officer Reigert finds his rescue operation hamstrung by politics, forcing Burnett to run far out of his way. Written by Jon Reeves {[email protected]}
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:29 pm

by the way...i am just wondering...only wondering ok...

do we do review of Jap AVs here ? 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:31 pm

You say leh? :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:33 pm

ok...so..i gather not welcome ... how about Korean ones then?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Hmm that one let me think about it. Pass me some to preview first, then I can make comment.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Saw Butterfly Lovers a week ago...

Charlene Choi ( one of the Twins, the one that did not appeared with Edison ) and Wu Chun

3 out of 5 popcorns but it was much better than expected. The ending could have been happier though ...

==============================================

This is the latest adaptation of the famous 17th century Chinese love story. Legend has it that once there was a golden couple living in the celestial sky who committed one of the gravest mistakes and was sent to live in the mortal world below. As their punishment, they were to fall in love madly with each other over ten lifetimes, only to end in disaster every time.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 pm

kennynah wrote: do we do review of Jap AVs here ? 8-)

Yes, you do have the freedom to do the reviews. It is just that there will not be any freedom after the reviews :P

Anyway, there's a huge firewall where I'm so I will not be able to check on your reviews :(
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Cheng » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 pm

kennynah wrote:by the way...i am just wondering...only wondering ok...

do we do review of Jap AVs here ? 8-)

Show us your collection :lol:
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Archives