Obituaries 01 (Sep 08 - Jul 11)

Re: Obituaries

Postby LenaHuat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Over the weekend, the US media marked the 10th anniversary of the demise of John FitzGerald Kennedy Jr.
He was the only son of the assassinated President John Kennedy.
Born : 25 Nov 1960
Died : 16 July 1999.
At his memorial, her sister, Caroline delivered a moving eulogy that included the following 11 verses from Shakespeare's The Tempest about the evanescence of life :

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air,
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:08 pm

evanescence of life

i personally feel it is very sad to depict life in this manner... as i grow older, i try very hard to describe gusto in life... 8-) as i am sure you too would much prefer
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi K
Sure.
Michael Jackson and John Kennedy Jr are more or less my cohorts. Yet, I survived them all :D
I will respond again by posting Michael Jackson's eulogy. There is no contradiction between your post and their eulogies.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Ex-boxing champ Forrest shot in back and killed

AFP - Monday, July 27ATLANTA, Georgia (AFP) - - Former world champion boxer Vernon Forrest was shot over half a dozen times in the back and killed during an attempted robbery at a petrol station on Saturday, police said.

Police said Forrest was shot after chasing one of the thieves after they robbed Forrest while he was putting air into the tyres of his Jaguar.

Atlanta police spokesman Keith Meadow said Forrest was also armed and exchanged gunfire with the thieves in the southwest section of the crime-plagued American city.

The 11-year-old son of Forrest's girlfriend was with him at the Chevron station at the time and was able to give police a description of the attackers.

Forrest competed for the United States in the 1992 Olympics before turning pro. He captured the International Boxing Federation welterweight title in 2001 and also became the World Boxing Coucil's middleweight champion.

The 38-year-old Forrest finished with a record of 41 wins, three losses and 29 knockouts.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 am

Former Philippine leader Corazon Aquino dies

MANILA: Former Philippine leader and democracy icon Corazon Aquino died on Saturday of cardiac arrest after battling colon cancer for more than a year, her son announced. She was 76.

"Our mother peacefully passed away at 3.18 am, August 1, 2009 of cardio-respiratory arrest," Senator Benigno Aquino Jr, said in a statement outside the Makati Medical Centre in Manila, where his mother had been hospitalised.

"She would have wanted us to thank each and every one of you for all the prayers and the continuous love and support," he said.

"It was her wish for all of us to pray for one another and for the country," Aquino said.

A close family friend, Boy Abunda, said funeral arrangements would be announced later in the day. He said Aquino had been surrounded by members of her immediate family when she passed away.

Presidential spokesman Cerge Remonde the government had declared a week-long period of national mourning and would give Aquino a state funeral.

Aquino, the widow of assassinated opposition leader Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino, was propelled into the spotlight in 1986, when she headed a massive "people power" movement that toppled late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.

A former housewife who reluctantly became president, she went on to restore democracy in the Philippines and rewrite the country's constitution.

Until March last year, when she withdrew from public life after being diagnosed with colon cancer, she had been active in street protests denouncing corruption in the government.

More than a month ago, she was rushed into emergency medical care after she lost appetite and her weight fell dramatically.

A spokeswoman for the family earlier said Aquino had given up all medical intervention, including chemotherapy, and would leave her fate to God.

Just a few days ago, Benigno Aquino said his mother's cancer had spread to her liver. - AFP/de
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:38 am

Reverend Ike, minister who preached prosperity on TV in '70s, dies in Los Angeles at age 74
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - The minister known as Reverend Ike, who preached the gospel of material prosperity to millions nationwide, died Tuesday. He was 74.

Family spokesman Bishop E. Bernard Jordan told The New York Times that The Rev. Frederick J. Eikerenkoetter II, who suffered a stroke in 2007 and never fully recovered, died in Los Angeles. He moved to the city two years ago, Jordan said.

Reverend Ike preached the power of what he called "positive self-image psychology" to his 5,000 parishioners at the United Church Science of Living Institute. The church was housed in a former movie theater in New York's Washington Heights neighborhood.

In the 1970s, Reverend Ike was one of the first evangelists to reach an audience of millions through television.

"This is the do-it-yourself church," he proclaimed. "The only savior in this philosophy is God in you."

Reverend Ike stretched Christian tenets, relocating the idea of God to the interior of the self, with the power to bring the believer anything he or she desired in the way of health, wealth and peace of mind.

The philosophy did not sit well with traditional Christian ministers and civil rights leaders who felt black churches should focus on social reform rather than self-fulfillment.

His critics said he preyed on the poor and conned the faithful into giving him donations that he spent on cars, clothes and homes for himself. The IRS and the Postal Service investigated his businesses.

Others defended his philosophy of mind over matter, which appealed to middle-class believers who felt their hard work should be rewarded in this life.

"If it's that difficult for a rich man to get into heaven," he said, riffing on the famous verse from the book of Matthew, "think how terrible it must be for a poor man to get in. He doesn't even have a bribe for the gatekeeper."

Reverend Ike was born on June 1, 1935, in Ridgeland, S.C., to an elementary school teacher and a Baptist minister from Dutch Indonesia.

He became an assistant pastor in his father's church at age 14. He attended the American Bible College in Chicago and spent two years in the Air Force as a chaplain. He founded his first church in Boston and moved to New York City two years later.

He moved his church into a Harlem movie theater with a narrow marquee that forced him to shorten his name to "Rev. Ike."

In the 1970s, Reverend Ike toured the country and preached over some 1,770 radio stations and television stations in major markets.

He is survived by his wife, Eula May Dent, and his son, Xavier F. Eikerenkoetter, who took over the ministry when his father retired.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Don't know this guy personally... but felt sad for his wife and children :(

Not sure if our body is made to withstand such grueling races... I for one will just keep to my 5K runs

Aug 3, 2009
Colleagues pay tribute to CEO
By Terrence Voon
THE Singapore subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom Asia has paid tribute to their late colleague, Calvin Lee, who died after taking part in Sunday's Osim Singapore International Triathlon.

Mr Lee, 42, was the CEO of Deutsche Telekom Asia, and had been with the company for about 12 years.

'Calvin will be remembered for his leadership at Deutsche Telekom Asia and the unique friendship he had with the employees,' said a statement from the T-Systems Singapore.

'Calvin was a distinguished leader, responsible for Deutsche Telekom carriers' business, International Carriers Sales & Solutions, for the Asia-Pacific and Middle East region. He joined the Deutsche Telekom group in Singapore in 1997, and has since steered the growth of the business, and increased the company's local presences in the region in countries like Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong.

'The contribution of Calvin Lee to the company and his compassion to his colleagues will always be in our memories. His leadership and caring attitude will be much missed but never forgotten. To that end, we honour him as a wonderful colleague and a friend.'
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 pm

U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer at age 77.

CNN International
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 pm

millionairemind wrote:Don't know this guy personally... but felt sad for his wife and children :(

Not sure if our body is made to withstand such grueling races... I for one will just keep to my 5K runs

Aug 3, 2009
Colleagues pay tribute to CEO
By Terrence Voon
THE Singapore subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom Asia has paid tribute to their late colleague, Calvin Lee, who died after taking part in Sunday's Osim Singapore International Triathlon.

I also dun think ALL humans are genetically fit to run marathons, trilathons, ultra-marathons etc....
anyway for those who dun know the origin of Marathon - the first guy who ran that distance DIED too...

Origin of Marathon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon
The name marathon comes from the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek messenger. The legend states that he was sent from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon.[2] It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the assembly, exclaiming "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, 'We have won.') before collapsing and dying.[3] The account of the run from Marathon to Athens first appears in Plutarch's On the Glory of Athens in the 1st century AD who quotes from Heraclides Ponticus's lost work, giving the runner's name as either Thersipus of Erchius or Eucles.[4] Lucian of Samosata (2nd century AD) also gives the story but names the runner Philippides (not Pheidippides).[5]

I will just keep to my 10km run (just completed my very first one this month in Army Half Marathon) and improve the timing from there!! Even though some of my peers keep on asking me to run 21km, then 42km... all within a year... a sort of like must do type of thing!!!
10km are more than good enough for me!!

Cheers to all!!

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby winston » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 pm

winston wrote:U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer at age 77

Ted Kennedy's top drunken episodes. R.I.P.

From The Shark Guys:

While the standard tributes roll in, and Kennedy's years in the US Senate are celebrated as something other than the constant reminder of failed promise they must have been for a guy everybody thought would be president, we thought we would pay tribute to a side of Kennedy that kept late-night comedians in material for decades: the shameless, drunkard side that entertained and horrified people from around the world.

One of the great debauched sons of privilege has died and while we could not hope to cover even a fraction of the man's legendary exploits, we figured we would at least offer you a highlight reel of some of those not kicked under the carpet or to which the local constabulary did not turn a blind eye.

Here then are Ted Kennedy's Top Drunk Moments!

http://www.thesharkguys.com/2009/08/26/ ... k-moments/
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives