Obituaries 01 (Sep 08 - Jul 11)

Re: Obituaries

Postby winston » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

Yes, the organisers must always be 20% responsible for any deaths.

And why bother having such events in the first place ? Nothing better to do with the time and energy ? No more Old, Aged, Sick and poor to help in your area ?

My philosophy is to use your time and energy wisely. You can disagree with me and I'm fine with it :)

And do you know the pressure to support such events in the first place ? A friend had a 5km mile run too and everyone was " strongly encouraged" to support the event. If you did not participate, you are not my friend etc etc.

This also reminds me of an Investment Banker who has an Annual Staff "Long March" along the Great Wall in the very cold weather. That's also an accident waiting to happen ...

As far as I'm concerned, no difference between organizing a 5km run and a Bungee Event. Either you take 20% responsibility or you dont, but it's your event that caused the death...
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed May 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Mark Haines of CNBC gone at age 65.

He did not looked 65 and I'm sure I wont missed his "American" tie ..
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Wed May 25, 2011 10:28 pm

He must be heart broken because his showtime partner, Erin Burnett has left for CNN.
On her last appearance, Erin gave Mark 3 presents and the guy looked tearful.
Well, I will miss both of them :cry:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed May 25, 2011 11:17 pm

winston wrote:Mark Haines of CNBC gone at age 65.

He did not looked 65 and I'm sure I wont missed his "American" tie ..

oh... this anchor has gone to sell salted eggs? man... what a shock... :shock:

i;m sure i'll miss erin's "i-just-did-it-this-morning-again" look in cnbc
now that's she gone over to cnn... i'll have to switch channels now :P
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Fri May 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Rumors are swirling around about Mark's death. I am anxiously waiting for news too.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sat May 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Gil Scott-Heron, credited with inspiring rap, dies

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Gil Scott-Heron, a poet and songwriter credited with helping inspire the development of rap music, has died at age 62, according to media reports on Saturday.

Scott-Heron died on Friday at a New York hospital, National Public Radio said, citing his book publisher. He fell ill after returning from a trip to Europe, news reports said.

The Chicago-born artist was called the "Godfather of Rap," a term he disliked, for his groundbreaking spoken-word performances set to music, including "The Revolution Will Not be Televised" in the early 1970s.

He recorded more than a dozen albums and was hailed as an important influence by hip-hop performers such as Kanye West. Considered a voice of African-American activism, Scott-Heron was also a musical critic of apartheid and nuclear power.

After serving a prison sentence for drug possession, Scott-Heron released an acclaimed album last year, "I'm New Here."

Source: Reuters US Online Report Entertainment News
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Israeli tycoon Sammy Ofer found dead -media

TEL AVIV, June 3 (Reuters) - Israeli shipping mogul Sammy Ofer, at the centre of a scandal over business contacts with Iran, was found dead at his home on Friday, Israeli Channel 10 Television reported.

The United States last month imposed sanctions on the Ofer Brothers Group, accusing it of selling an oil tanker to Iran -- Israel's arch foe. Sammy Ofer and the company's co-owner, brother Yuli, denied any wrongdoing.

Sammy Ofer, 89, was one of Israel's richest men. Channel 10 did not say how he died and police did not have any immediate comment on the report.

Source: Reuters
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:07 pm

sounds rhetoric, but rich or poor, powerful or meek, we all will die one day... what is important, i guess, is whether we individually find peace at that moment just before the lights go off..
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:57 am

Filing it here until I think of a better place to move it to ..

Words Of Condolence: 3 Sample Words Of Condolence That Give Comfort By Michael Lee

Funerals are tricky. They always have a somber atmosphere that leaves you at a loss for anything to say. Even if you’re a close friend of the family, it’s sometimes difficult to offer words of condolence other than “I’m sorry for your loss.”

What you must remember though is that the grieving family will have probably heard a hundred “I’m sorry for you loss” lines. Being someone who knows them personally, it is important that you offer words of condolence that will make them feel better, not worse.

Words of Condolence Sample 1: “While there are no words to help ease the loss that you bear, know that you are close in every thought and prayer.”

These words of sympathy are honest and straight to the point. Yet, they are also sensitive to the grieving party. It’s important to let them know that you will steadfastly support them through this whole ordeal.

Words of Condolence Sample 2: “May you take comfort in knowing an angel is watching over him (or her).”

People who have passed on do not really disappear forever. They are still in the hearts and minds of those whom they have left. By saying these words, you are somehow easing their pain by reassuring them that what is gone in body is not necessarily gone in spirit. This is best said when you are alone with the person who is grieving.

Words of Condolence Sample 3: “Remember that we love you and care about you.”

This one is more of a reminder that life is not over. Grieving people will most probably think that they are now alone in the world. Be there to remind them that this is not true.

Words of condolence do not always have to be “I’m so sorry for your loss.” During this difficult time, keep in mind that you need to make the grieving persons feel that they are not alone.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Word ... mfort.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:34 am

US hails top diplomat Eagleburger dead at 80 by Alex Ogle

Tributes poured in Saturday for Lawrence Eagleburger, who died at age 80, hailing his diplomatic career and service as US secretary of state under president George H.W. Bush at the end of the Cold War.

"Our nation has lost a distinguished diplomat and public servant," President Barack Obama said in a statement.

Eagleburger, the first career foreign service officer to be named secretary of state, "devoted his life to the security of our nation and to strengthening our ties with allies and partners," Obama added, noting his lengthy service to US diplomacy spanning over four decades.

At the State Department, he "helped our nation navigate the pivotal days during the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War," the president said.

Eagleburger died from a pneumonia at the University of Virginia Medical Center in the city of Charlottesville, following a heart attack earlier this week, reports said.

Current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hailed Eagleburger as a strong voice and stalwart champion for America's values," calling his passing "America's loss."

And Vice President Joe Biden, who worked with Eagleburger for three decades, honored "one of the finest foreign service officers of his generation," commending his "candor and straightforward manner."

"The post-Cold War world, particularly Europe and Eurasia, is more stable and secure because of (his) dedicated service," Biden added.

Eagleburger, who ran the State Department for five months at the end of Bush's term in 1992, was "one of the most capable and respected diplomats our foreign service ever produced," the former president said in a statement quoted by US media.

"During one of the tensest moments of the Gulf War, when Saddam Hussein began attacking Israel with scud missiles trying cynically and cruelly to bait them into the conflict, we sent Larry to Israel to preserve our coalition," Bush recalled.

"It was an inordinately complex and sensitive task, and his performance was nothing short of heroic."

Eagleburger, who served under secretaries from both parties, replaced James Baker at the post in August 1992, first as acting secretary before his official appointment later that year. He brought with him decades of experience as a career diplomat and a solid knowledge of Middle East issues.

He had departed public service in 1984 to launch a consulting firm with former secretary of state Henry Kissinger, but returned to become deputy secretary of state in 1989 at Bush's insistence.

Born in 1930 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Eagleburger joined the diplomatic service at age 27, starting his career as a low-level officer in the US embassy in Tegucigalpa, the Honduran capital, before moving to Europe in the early 1960s.

Working as an economic adviser to the US mission in Belgrade in the former Yugoslavia -- where he would later serve as ambassador between 1977 and 1981 -- Eagleburger's diplomatic prowess made him a top US player in Europe during the Cold War, also serving as a political adviser to the US delegation to NATO in Brussels.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates praised his "close colleague and very dear friend."

Eagleburger, Gates said, "was a supremely talented diplomat and public servant. And very funny. I will miss him very much."

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell described his late friend as an "incredibly gifted public servant."

Clinton noted that even in retirement, "Larry remained a staunch advocate for the causes he believed in. He never stopped caring, contributing and speaking out."

"He believed in the strength of America's values, and he fought for them around the world. He was outspoken, but always the consummate diplomat," she added.

Eagleburger was a vocal supporter of Republican John McCain in the 2008 presidential election and made headlines when he questioned Obama's readiness to lead the country.

Larry Sabato, a longtime political commentator, marked Eagleburger's passing in a tweet, noting that the former diplomat had recently taught his class at the University of Virginia.

"Students loved him. He was blunt, whip-smart and very, very funny. Understood world as few do," Sabato said.

Source: AFP American Edition
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives